Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

PLP 520 B1 Copper pen..

I'll try to get a photo of them today and post it here. Mine weren't done by me, but were done by a guy who paints cars and it isn't tacky at all. You wouldn't even know it's there except that it doesn't tarnish at all.

Here you go. I didn't even take the time to wipe them off.

QVWdxRrl.jpg

Just beautiful Rich.
Looking forward to the beam shots too. :beer:

Thanks for the photos Paul.

Cheers

BobMc

I have a feeling Rich, if you start mass producing the solid copper pen in a assortment of sizes, your going to have a order list that is going to be quite long. I will be diffidently adding my name to that list. Just awesome looking little hosts. :drool: :gj:

Last edited:
Yes they look nice, Andrew can confirm that the bit of copper on his adj wavelength host has turned a brown colour after a year or more of touching, When I built it it looked buitifull with the polished copper accent!

I was thinking about buying this can in the pic hopefully it works wonders!

Attachments

• GAjGePV.jpg
    GAjGePV.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 28
  • SdA2vfB.jpg
    SdA2vfB.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 25
Didn't know Rust-oleum made a glossy clear coat. I hope it works well for you. Let us know at any rate.

Good looking pen Rich, I like the "stripe" theme. :D

About the lacquer, it's good to know that people are exploring options. I don't use it myself but it's for sure a good idea to put on finished products if you're not into maintenance. Paul, do you know specifically what product your car guy used? Does it work very well?

I was told it was a clear coat acrylic. That is all I know, but it works great. Not at all tacky to the touch and unless you knew it was there, you'd probably never know.....except that it never tarnishes.

Hi EP,
Thanks always wanted to copper pens in 10440 and 14500 configurations . I will make a few more once i get some jobs out of the way soon. The copper gets really hot and grabby so they take some time to make regardless of the size. Even with cooling fluid still gets hot.

@ Paul,
Going to try some clear coat on my next copper sink or pen to see how it comes out.

Rich:)

Rich, you might want to get some small amount of several different types and take a polished piece of copper to add test swatches to. That way you may be able to find a specific one that works best for your purposes. And you won't have to ruin anything in the process.

Yes they look nice, Andrew can confirm that the bit of copper on his adj wavelength host has turned a brown colour after a year or more of touching, When I built it it looked buitifull with the polished copper accent!

I was thinking about buying this can in the pic hopefully it works wonders!
Yes, I can confirm.
I did do a quick polish with a Jewellery Cloth and it did bring up a slight shine on it but I'm going to give it a good polish and try and bring it back up.
Then I'll try the Rust-oleum on another copper build and see if it's suitable before I go further.

Thanks for the info.

:beer:

Don't forget that you can remove a great deal of tarnish from copper with white vinegar. It beats the hell out of all the elbow work. If you do, I'd clean it with acetone before adding a clear coat.

hi Paul,

I will also give that a go and give a piece a good start. Hey i was searching and found two other products that might help. They are called Protectaclear and Everbright a little more cost maybe a higher end .

@ RB,
Jewelers cloth will work you just have to keep at it with some pressure . If you use it often you get better results every time.

@ BM,
Yes i am going to start making them soon , i ordered some latching switches to see how they work out. Single 10440's and 14500's on my mind to..And i will get some shots soon ,its been humid and raining here for a while upper 80's and some 90's. Feels like Nam..

Rich:)

Hi,
Here is a new focus adapter i made to replace the brass one. And a few beam shots .. Enjoy..

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_471.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_471.jpeg
    148.8 KB · Views: 18
  • fullsizeoutput_472.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_472.jpeg
    117.9 KB · Views: 23
  • fullsizeoutput_473.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_473.jpeg
    129.4 KB · Views: 29
  • fullsizeoutput_474.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_474.jpeg