Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Plextor 12x vs. Pioneer 12x

Exerd

Now set your diode at 750mW and document the runtime.

:beer:

Now set your diode at 750mW and document the runtime.

:beer:

Cough 750mW!!! Cough.... I don't know if I can be that brave with a $200 diode :) That's about 500mA or so for a high efficiency diode! I was thinking 400mA for this one...

i was thinking the low 400mA's for a 12X as well, when i finaly get around to getting one, im hoping they'll be cheaper in a month or so

meh, It all comes down to how long you want the diode to live. I set mine to a nice conservative 380ma. I might change it however once the 12x murder experiment is complete. At least depending on the results. I also might change the setting depending on how long people much braver then myself fare with their ultra high currents on those 12x builds :D I have got to hand it to people like Exerd who greatly advance our knowledge by setting their diodes to insane levels. It's some serious bragging rights you have got going on there when your diode is breaking the 700mw barrier.

You got that right StridAst, 700mW+ is definitely something to brag about. For some reason I am reminded of the GHz race between AMD and Intel some 10 years ago... AMD finally reached 1GHz with their Athlon CPU and everyone was excited. Then Intel limped in behind them with their 1GHz offering that everyone laughed at because of its insane cooling requirements.

Back on Pioneers and Plextors, I took the cover off of my Pioneer drive and the first thing I noticed was that there was no shielding or shroud of any kind covering the sled optics and electronics. The sled is completely exposed! Once I get home I will take a picture as this was unexpected. It definitely makes diode extraction easier as I don't even have to remove the sled to get the diode out. It's right up front in plain view.

daguin

You got that right StridAst, 700mW+ is definitely something to brag about. For some reason I am reminded of the GHz race between AMD and Intel some 10 years ago... AMD finally reached 1GHz with their Athlon CPU and everyone was excited. Then Intel limped in behind them with their 1GHz offering that everyone laughed at because of its insane cooling requirements.

Back on Pioneers and Plextors, I took the cover off of my Pioneer drive and the first thing I noticed was that there was no shielding or shroud of any kind covering the sled optics and electronics. The sled is completely exposed! Once I get home I will take a picture as this was unexpected. It definitely makes diode extraction easier as I don't even have to remove the sled to get the diode out. It's right up front in plain view.

That is normal. NEITHER the 203 nor the 205 sleds have a cover.

http://laserpointerforums.com/f51/pioneer-12x-blu-ray-bdr-205-a-44607.html
http://laserpointerforums.com/f51/pioneer-8x-blu-ray-bdr-203-a-36790.html

Peace,
dave

Last edited:
Ah, thanks Dave. This is my first Pioneer drive... all of the other drives I have encountered have had nothing short of armour plating covering the sleds. The LG 10x was bad about that.

mfo

Maybe it's me, but the only processors that I recall having insane cooling requirements are the AMD's. They all run way hotter than Intel. Hell, on my buddies old PC you could literally fry an egg with that thing.

Also, who has the last laugh now? Intel's have 6 cores, AMD's simply fail.

Maybe it's me, but the only processors that I recall having insane cooling requirements are the AMD's. They all run way hotter than Intel. Hell, on my buddies old PC you could literally fry an egg with that thing.

Also, who has the last laugh now? Intel's have 6 cores, AMD's simply fail.

Yes, the later AMD chips did require major cooling but the ones I was referring to were the old slot A style CPUs. The first 1GHz Intel CPU (Slot II) that was released didn't stay on the market too long. Dell used them in there high-end desktops at the time which had a heat pipe leading to a large external heatsink mounted on the side of the case. I myself run an Intel Q6600 because the AMD chips have fallen off performance wise.