Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Pioneer 8X Blu-Ray-- BDR-203

jayrob

Hi BNuggs, Dave, Mike, Intro74, Jay, Quantile,:gh:

What's happening? I open this topic three times a day at least, hoping to find new wonderful news about your gorgeous lasers, but it looks that everything has been frozen like in the castle of "The sleeping beauty" cartoon movie.....:tsk:

Have you gone forward experiencing your lasers? Have you decided for a duty cycle, and at what PO? How long has been your maximum operating time? Etc etc......

I can understand for a duty cycle for Jay, he decided to fit his 8x in his pocket mini, but what about the others? How are the various heat sinks working? Quantile, what about your experience with your beautiful C3 SS host?

Cm'on guys, tell us (and show us) something more about your jewels...:drool:

Mine has been fit with a Pocket Mini ExFocus adapter to make it very nice of focusing the 'finger burner'...

BDR Pocket Mini.jpg

I pull it out every other night or so for some 'flash paper' explosions like this video from Chuck Adams (405-G-1 glass lens build) if you have not seen: :cool:

Flash paper: http://www.magical-tricks.com/flashpaper.htm

Yes, your guess is correct for me... I keep it to a 1 minute max. on time. Seems to be holding up just fine!
Jay

Last edited:

Hi Jay, thank you for the nice picture: you have not only manufactured a really functional ExFocus adapter, but you have also knurled it for a better grasping :).... I would like to have a similar one for my Romisen RC-A2 host....(Mike will be happy too).
So you have decided for a 1 minute max duty cycle; how many minutes of "burning life" (approximately) do you guess to have totalized?
(Nice movie, with the flash paper, he he).

Last edited:

jayrob

Hi Jay, thank you for the nice picture: you have not only manufactured a really functional ExFocus adapter, but you have also knurled it for a better grasping :).... I would like to have a similar one for my Romisen RC-A2 host....(Mike will be happy too).
So you have decided for a 1 minute max duty cycle; how many minutes of "burning life" (approximately) do you guess to have totalized?
(Nice movie, with the flash paper, he he).

I have not been keeping strict records, but I would say still less than an hour total time...
Jay

Below the first result of my diode with the wonderful Jayrob lens ::)

I/mA * * * P/mW
200 * * * * 329
210 * * * * 348
220 * * * * 363
230 * * * * 382
240 * * * * 401
250 * * * * 415
260 * * * * 426

WOW...I can't believe you're there already! Way to go...

Has anybody done any longevity tests yet?

One of these days I need to come over to your house Jay. That is some 8X sweetness. Sorry, but I didn't notice the 8X goodness until this very hour. LOL

My latest Pioneer 203 has only a Blu and an IR diode. The IR is one of those flat things too. My last 6x at least gave me a RED.

Mike

jayrob

Mike, you bought the same BDR-203 drive and it is different than before??
Jay

Last edited:
The diode which Dave says is the red, on mine is an IR -DEEP red. I don't know what that flat thing is with the hockey mask but I don't see a LD in there under magnification. Looks like a sensor.
Yes -- It's an 8x
Mike

WOW...I can't believe you're there already! Way to go...

Has anybody done any longevity tests yet?

In my side the laser is still alive and I play with it every day (around 2min)

Maybe I will try to reach 500mW but I'm quite afraid to push it out

Last edited:
Panasonic 8X Drive - 441 mw @ 350ma

Just finished some power testing on my first 8X...
with the new brass machined Hi-Power lens assembly.

Here is some of the preliminary data:

I (ma) Power(mw) Voltage
40 . . . . . 9 . . . . . 3.7
50 . . . . . 14 . . . . 3.8
60 . . . . . 28 . . . . 3.9
70 . . . . . 42 . . . . 4.0
80 . . . . . 60 . . . . 4.15
90 . . . . . 75 . . . . 4.3
100 . . . . 85 . . . . 4.4
110 . . . . 103 . . . . 4.5
120 . . . . 117 . . . . 4.6
140 . . . . 148 . . . . 4.7
170 . . . . 194 . . . . 4.9
190 . . . . 212 . . . . 5.0
200 . . . . 233 . . . . 5.05
220 . . . . 258 . . . . 5.1
240 . . . . 286 . . . . 5.2
260 . . . . 318 . . . . 5.3
280 . . . . 344 . . . . 5.4
300 . . . . 376 . . . . 5.45
330 . . . . 410 . . . . 5.5
350 . . . . 441 . . . . 5.6

I liked the relatively low voltage on this diode. This means it is more efficient & should make it easier to drive.

Power was fairly good.

I calibrated my Scientech LPM before the test, so it should be fairly accurate.

The diode came out of a Buffalo 8X, which is actually a Panasonic drive.

I will do some playing with it in the next few days.

LarryDFW

This drive was one of two, that MISTERWILLING obtained to further our testing.
Why is this BR thread in this section ?

Last edited:
While I don't have a LPM (yet) I did some practice burning. My BDR-203 8x in a pocket mini at 290ma with glass lens (jayrob 405-G-1) lit a red tip wood match at 18 feet in under 10 seconds. I was impressed.

Last edited:
Oh well, with the entrance of sportcoupe, the "8x BR Lasers Club" has reached the respectable number of nine members!:beer:
I'm trying to read all the various threads and messages where it is possible to find data and the personal experience that each Club member (old or new) has the pleasure to put on disposal of all LPF members, just to keep updated the chart in a fast and precise way....

One member asked me if it's possible to open a dedicated thread maybe in the "Blue-Ray & Violet Lasers" and maybe (but this is my proposal) with the title: "8x Diode Lasers Club" or whatever you'ld prefer, putting the graph in the first message to make its consultation easier. I have no problem to continue the upgrading here or in a new thread (maybe were all members can write all their 8x experiences, without spreading data in different threads)... let me know your opinion.:yh:

The information and graph that you have compiled is definitely a good thing to be able to access. It would be nice to have it at the first post of a new thread...

Or as long as it would be easy to reference. I have your post with the graph marked. As I'm sure others do as well:
http://www.laserpointerforums.com/laser_pointer_forums_3/forum/showthread.php?t=36790&page=16#393

:gj:
Jay

Ok Jay, if all members have followed your example, so no need to open a new thread.... (thank you for your appreciation:))....