Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Pioneer 16X BDR-209DBK

DTR- is this the diode i bought from you when you first started selling them, i think you had only a few at first and i got one of the first batch. If so, i cannot Remember what i had you set the current at but it runs at a very consistent and stable 1.130 watts with G9 lens. I don't run it often but last night i put some fresh batteries in it and took another reading on the Ophir and it went straight to 1.13w and held there for a full 60 sec. Not sure if this is on par for this diode or if mine is a freak. Regardless i am enjoying its performance. Unlike my first 405 bought a couple years back that ran around 700mW, this one has a very clearly visible beam in the night sky. Side by side they are vastly different in visibility and since the power difference is not huge I'm wondering if the wavelength is shifted more on this one.

Last edited:

DTR

Yes it was one and that sounds like it was set pretty aggressive, probably 750mA wold be my guess. Not sure about the wavelength. I don't think anyone has done any tests on that but these do seem brighter for sure.:beer:

Mine has LED-ed. had it at 650mA. first it dimmed, then came on full power, then forever dim. don't think I ever went over duty cycle. never reversed ploarity. oh well, it's just as I predicted. Unless there are some of you killing them out there at higher current levels and just not posting it.

Jordan, can I send the module back and have you reset the driver to maybe 600mA, and pay for just a new diode and maybe some labor? This was one of my favorite units

DTR

Sorry for your loss but it is good info. A lot of these seem they can be pushed pretty hard but a few can't. I think 600mA is good call.
Yep shoot it over and I will get it reset and back up running for the cost of a bare diode for you.:beer:

IWIRE

Mine has LED-ed. had it at 650mA. first it dimmed, then came on full power, then forever dim. don't think I ever went over duty cycle. never reversed ploarity. oh well, it's just as I predicted. Unless there are some of you killing them out there at higher current levels and just not posting it.

Jordan, can I send the module back and have you reset the driver to maybe 600mA, and pay for just a new diode and maybe some labor? This was one of my favorite units
Sorry to hear about your loss. I agree they are a really cool diode. Thanks for posting the info. I'll be sure and post when mine goes, so far it's still hanging in there. I use mine to practice taking beam shots just because it seems to have the longest run time of anything I have and my beam shots still suck.

I'm out of town now, so it'll be a bit before I can send it. I found my prediction

you all will be sorry when yours dies at .7A and mine keeps going, (insert evil laugh) more likely is the opposite, mine will burn out at .6A and yours will all be ok at .7A

I was thinking it was at 650mA, but it seems it should have been at 600mA, so that means it died at 600mA, unless DTR made a mistake setting the driver and set it to 700mA like everyone else. I guess he will find out when he gets my module, I don't assume he did this, but if this turns out to be the case maybe we can work something out. shoot, maybe 550mA then, IDK. I like my lasers to last, getting tired of replacing diodes, esp when they are under 1 year old. I know I was a beta tester of sorts on this, but why me, over and over again? I mean, I even went lower than everyone else. DIODE GODS, GIVE ME A FREAK!!!

Last edited:
Here's a Power Technology TEC Labby unit we sell:
http://laserpointerforums.com/f65/new-host-block-integral-tec-fan-53054.html
Could be hand held with right choice of batteries- lots of room inside.
Have to run a smaller host, maybe a 10.5mm like ours that can hold M9X0.5 lens nut. Possibly turn down the rear of a 12mm housing.
Will

Hello all-
Newbie here. I was interested in building one of these into a lab-type unit (current-limited bench supply, fan-cooled heatsink) for use around 1W. Can I expect a decent lifetime in this type of setup? Can these be switched on and off (say 10Hz rate) without damage, or will inrush current kill them?

Thanks,
clickrmike

DTR helped me with an unprecedented quickness. payed early monday, recieved midday today. wow. rep if I can. what would we do without you?:thanks:

Would the diodes burn out very quickly because it seems like it has been pushed too hard? the output actually drops after 860mA
Would the diode last 6000hrs plus as most manufacturers claim their lasers to be?
Thanks

Would the diodes burn out very quickly because it seems like it has been pushed too hard? the output actually drops after 860mA
Would the diode last 6000hrs plus as most manufacturers claim their lasers to be?
Thanks

The diodes die either from being pushed for too long at too high of a current, or pushed with a current that's too "noisy" - especially with spikes at startup. Since these are diodes pulled from working burner sleds there isn't a datasheet on them. They would probably be expected to last for several thousand hours when operated as intended in the bluray burner, but we don't even know what those "design conditions" are. As a general rule, a diode will last longer when operated at a lower current than it will when operated at a higher current. All we get here is a collection of other people's experiences with this particular diode, which isn't nearly a large enough sample size to begin classifying it's behavior in a way that could lead to good mean time to failure predictions.

Last edited:
I guess it would last as long as was intended as a blurry burner as the power would not have been this high so I guess maybe about a thousand?

My 16X BDR-209DBK build in a ZASER host Outputs 1007mW with a G2 lens running @ 650mA, I tested it over 60 Seconds and it was stable as anything once my LPM Caught Up(25s-30s)didnt drop one mW, But as there is limited testing on this diode i hardly ever run my laser, only seen about 10min of Total PhotonZ, It pops balloons at like 8+Metres Instantly too!

JimMc

My BRD-209 diode died whilst running it at 600ma in a laser cutter. It was well cooled and ran for about 30 minutes before dying. Has anyone found where the limit is for long life?

-Jim