Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Perseid Meteor Shower Tonight! Hands up if the moon doesn't scare you!

IsaacT

Anybody going out tonight to see the meteor shower? I am going to try to get some pictures if the moon doesn't completely wash everything out! Mainly I just want to have some fun with my new ultra wide angle lens haha. But meteors are a damn good excuse.

So, anyone else up for the show?
-Isaac

Gah I freaking wish. Get some good pic for me! I hope I can travel at some point in my life, to somewhere with clear skies like the desert, and be able to see stuff like this. One can dream :whistle:

IsaacT

I will certainly try. Hopefully the shower is far enough away from the moon that it doesn't get washed out. November 17 though is already in my calendar. Will be a waning crescent so very little moonlight theoretically and should be a good meteor shower then.

IsaacT

Well I did not get any pictures of any meteors but I certainly saw some big ones. Here is a picture I took last night as a consolation prize since I never got any meteors.

Well I did not get any pictures of any meteors but I certainly saw some big ones. Here is a picture I took last night as a consolation prize since I never got any meteors.

That is an awesome picture!!! Thanks for sharing!

DJNY

Holy moly Isaac, I'm smelling a new obsession :gj:

Last edited:

IsaacT

Holy moly Isaac, I'm smelling a new obsession :gj:

Yeah I cannot quite help myself with this haha. I did manage to also do some attempts at Deep Sky Objects, although I didn't know how to find them LOL. So I focused in on a bright star and said screw it, maybe it will be cool. Downside was I didn't have a mount though so I had to track it manually. Anyway, I took 154 useable photos of one spot and stacked them together to average out the noise. KapHn8d helped me troubleshoot the program deepskystacker and today I got the image processed. He is working on some color correction but this is what I have done so far with my limited knowledge :p . Note: no, this is not a nebula or a galaxy(soon, my sweets :) ) but I think it looks cool. Here are the before and after:

:drool::drool::drool::drool: at that 589nm.

G'day Isaac. We could not see the Meteor Shower here in the Southern Hemisphere but I did get a few shots of the "Supermoon" earlier in the week!

9988-8s5a5252.jpg

Notice that it is a different orientation to what you have in the North!

Last edited:
Isaac, that shot of your 589nm looks utterly gorgeous! :drool:
Last night the moon was so bright my mates and I where able to play tennis in the dark!

It was bloody cold and we didn't see any meteorites but is was a lot of fun :)

IsaacT

The moon in my avatar is oriented wrong haha. Light room cropping turned it on an angle if I recall correctly.

uhhh busman... your moon in upside down :p

Not when you are standing on Top of the world it is not! :na: :D

Isaac your moon has rotated a bit extra, might actually look like that if you lived somewhere like Fairbanks Alaska!

Last edited:
The moon in Isaacs avatar is how we northerners will see it in the depths of winter when it's setting. I think it's purely due to perspective of the rotating earth but it will rise with the claw shaped thing pointing up and set with it pointin down. More noticeable in winter as the axis tilt that gives the longer nights mean we see a full moon for more of the night. The full moon rises when the sun sets, sets when the sun rises, and if the earth were transparent and we could always see the sun, the full moon is always roughly opposite the sun. That's why a winter full moon goes high in the sky, because the sun dips far below the horizon, and a summer full moon only comes low in the sky, because a summer night only sees the sun dip below the horizon a small amount. So whatever the sun does, a full moon mimics it opposite.

The moon in Isaacs avatar is how we northerners will see it in the depths of winter when it's setting. I think it's purely due to perspective of the rotating earth but it will rise with the claw shaped thing pointing up and set with it pointin down. More noticeable in winter as the axis tilt that gives the longer nights mean we see a full moon for more of the night. The full moon rises when the sun sets, sets when the sun rises, and if the earth were transparent and we could always see the sun, the full moon is always roughly opposite the sun. That's why a winter full moon goes high in the sky, because the sun dips far below the horizon, and a summer full moon only comes low in the sky, because a summer night only sees the sun dip below the horizon a small amount. So whatever the sun does, a full moon mimics it opposite.

I helped look after a group of exchange students from Ohio many years ago, they said the "Claw" thing was actually a Rabbit! So there you go. :wave:

Can't see it as a rabbit myself, but then I've never really understood the face thing either. I can see the face but I have to consciously think about it - to me it looks more like a mammal shaped animal wielding a large pincer or claw.

The grey areas are just lunar "seas", flat plain-like areas with a darker terrain.