Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

PERMANENT THREAD: Ebay& other internet FINDS of interest- read all the OP please sub

gazer101

Lol that red beam looks like it was added in photoshop
That's probably because the 3000mW of red is close to the Fechner limit for the brightest possible perception of red
1616652112746.png

WizardG

LPF Site Supporter
Lemmee see now...the Lipo battery I used for my cordless induction heater measures 2x2x6 inches and I can pull 2kW out of it for ~2-3 minutes/charge if I stick something big in the work coil. Yeah, there's a cooling issue, but...short bursts. I can easily see man-portable weapons-grade lasers in the not too distant future. When this tech' gets cheap, then it's going to be scary.

Also, here is a picture of the Rgb alignment at 40 feet with each laser color on 0.75 volt for those curious.
I tried to get in there to do an adjustment on the blue and greens, but everything is glued down. I don’t think I can get the glue off to adjust it. The alignment isn’t terrible, but I do wish I could tweak it just a touch.

Attachments

• 27B8B953-5311-40CA-B11F-095FE29453D1.jpeg
    27B8B953-5311-40CA-B11F-095FE29453D1.jpeg
    247.3 KB · Views: 17
  • EA1CE6DE-1BF4-4FD8-B675-C601D7E6BDAE.jpeg
    EA1CE6DE-1BF4-4FD8-B675-C601D7E6BDAE.jpeg
    255.4 KB · Views: 16
  • 235CCE5E-9C6E-4EDD-9C83-E7D6869D238B.jpeg
    235CCE5E-9C6E-4EDD-9C83-E7D6869D238B.jpeg
    249.9 KB · Views: 17

FAP

Once hardened, that glue is brittle, torque on it hard enough and it will snap. If you are going to be adjusting things, or don't mid re-adjusting if it shakes loose later, no need to re-glue it. That appears to be the 10 watt RGB techhood was selling, I have one myself and had to realign it, they did a poor job of it. The design is also a hack, they cross colors at 90 degrees to make RGB, instead of aligning them in the same orientation. Now I know why the price was so cheap, no rotators and mismatched beams.

It’s still a good deal to me. Im
Absolutely amazed at it. It would be nice if they were perfectly aligned and in the same orientation though, I agree. Have you seen one like that? What do they run?

FAP

I am not familiar with anything above 4 watts with proper design and orientation of laser diode output geometries. I am sure there are members here who do know of some 10 watt units with everything engineered just right, but I bet thousands of dollars.

optlasers.com in Poland sells a 4 watt RGB which is engineered right. Price: Depending upon the model, about 1100 USD. I believe he could sell them for less and easily make profit, but he can sell them for over 1K, so no reason to go lower.

optlasers.com/rgb-modules

4w-rgb-laser-module-v2.jpg

Last edited:
Once hardened, that glue is brittle, torque on it hard enough and it will snap. If you are going to be adjusting things, or don't mid re-adjusting if it shakes loose later, no need to re-glue it. That appears to be the 10 watt RGB techhood was selling, I have one myself and had to realign it, they did a poor job of it. The design is also a hack, they cross colors at 90 degrees to make RGB, instead of aligning them in the same orientation. Now I know why the price was so cheap, no rotators and mismatched beams.
Could it be possible to rotate the beams
Somehow? What would be needed to get them perfectly aligned ?

FAP

For myself, I would rather take all of their parts out and use them for my own RGB laser design which uses a rotator with a PBS cube to turn the polarity of the beam and then overlap in the same orientation than try to tweak theirs into something else. I don't see a way to add a PBS cube and rotator to turn the beams, the design is very tightly fit on the base with what it is, no room to add that kind of thing without a large amount of change, just easier to start over than tweak theirs.

I wouldn't concern yourself with redesigning this 10 watt unit, unless the parts are cheaper that way than buying your own. Then you can try to make it better by adding more expensive optics and redesigning how everything is laid out, likely needing a whole different base and machining it. Too much work!

Their design used beam expansion optics to help make the beam characteristics match closer, so they did what they could without having to use a PBS cube and rotator, I just don't like the way they turned one color 90 degrees and have a crossed pattern like that. The reason they built it this way was due to cost, the most bang for the buck and they were able to do so. I'd just enjoy it for what it is. Where else can you find any kind of 10 watt RGB for 600 dollars? Nowhere.

The misalignment mine had was with the crossed pattern red diode outputs, they were slightly high but for the most part, aligned. I just wanted perfection from something which isn't perfectly designed, when I tried to move them down a little, then the lower edge was too far down. I suppose I could mask the edges so that doesn't happen.

Last edited:
Just curious. Is this crazy. I have seen them on Ebay for half the price which I also think is crazy. What are these worth these days?

FAP

Seller doesn’t know what these usually go for used. Maybe just starting high to see if they can get a bite, lowering later if none?

Ogskylr

Hey I couldn’t reply to that long post with links because I’m not allowed to post links yet, but ... why does a LPM go up if you put your finger on it? If there is no heat... is it pressure sensitive?

FAP

If you press on it the heat from your finger will show an amount of milliwatts, it won’t measure pressure. Touching the thermopile sensor itself will contaminate it with oils

Ogskylr

If you press on it the heat from your finger will show an amount of milliwatts, it won’t measure pressure. Touching the thermopile sensor itself will contaminate it with oils
I did it on accident and noticed it went up so I though it was a measure of heat or pressure