Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

PERMANENT THREAD: Ebay& other internet FINDS of interest- read all the OP please sub

I'm sure they do absorb heat, but just like brass isn't as good a conductor of heat as pure copper it's likely that they aluminum alloys aren't as good as pure aluminum.

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Can’t wait until we can make diamonds efficiently enough for larger heat sinks. They are used in some laser setups.

I'm sure they do absorb heat, but just like brass isn't as good a conductor of heat as pure copper it's likely that they aluminum alloys aren't as good as pure aluminum.
Who turns sinks from " pure aluminum " LOL

3003 aluminum is a good alloy for flexibility and it's thermal conductivity is 193 W/m-K where pure aluminum is 237 W/m-K and Brass... well brass is an alloy, not an element but common brass with 63% copper has a thermal conductivity of 121 W/m-K so I would rather have an aluminum alloy than a brass heat sink if thermal conductivity is the main concern.

Last edited:
Yep, or copper and aluminum with fins. This is one I made several years back.
BTW these heat sinks are still available for your projects.

SANY0243.JPG

Who turns sinks from " pure aluminum " LOL

3003 aluminum is a good alloy for flexibility and it's thermal conductivity is 193 W/m-K where pure aluminum is 237 W/m-K and Brass... well brass is an alloy, not an element but common brass with 63% copper has a thermal conductivity of 121 W/m-K so I would rather have an aluminum alloy than a brass heat sink if thermal conductivity is the main concern.

The problem you have is that the listing you provide doesn't list the type of alloy used here. 3003 is a good alloy of aluminum, but we have no idea what type of alloy is used in these heat sinks. Considering the source my belief that these are high quality heat sinks strains credulity.

The motor shaft couplings are small and because the cuts go all the way through I think they would likely only be useful for low output builds <1W maybe.

I tested one on a TEC pad and could feel it get cold seemingly as fast as my good heat sink aluminum ( not a scientific test ), so for low output, low value laser diodes they should be fine, but for an expensive diode or one over 1W, especially if it will get longer duty cycles, I would use a larger sink, Lifetime17 makes some really nice sinks/hosts from good quality aluminum.

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
$6000 + the need for a power supply and controller = one expensive laser. However it is an impressive laser for the money. NUBM44 territory in 577nm with better beam specs is terrifyingly beautiful. Luckily its shipping restricted so I won't be bankrupting myself anytime soon.

I would't pay 6000.00 for 6W of any wavelength, not even at excellent beam quality.

Darktron

Best alum you can get in round stock is 6063 but pain to machine just like copper

Not ebay but a big argon ion laser for sale in Australia just popped up.

1695596033588.png