Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Peregrine - The Free, Open Source LPM Interface

Trevor

Okay. Your LPM probably does not output the right data formatting to work with Jerry's software. Based on the message though, it is receiving SOMETHING.

In the "Serial" section of the debug information in Peregrine, look for "Packets." When you connect your LPM to Peregrine, does this number start increasing?

Trevor

Okay. Your LPM probably does not output the right data formatting to work with Jerry's software. Based on the message though, it is receiving SOMETHING.

In the "Serial" section of the debug information in Peregrine, look for "Packets." When you connect your LPM to Peregrine, does this number start increasing?

Trevor

no, unfortunatly.
the selling link says the LPM outputs in eagle eye format.

Last edited:

Trevor

no, unfortunatly.
the selling link says the LPM outputs in eagle eye format.

If Jerry's software is saying "no signal" and Peregrine is receiving no data packets, then something is definitely not working with the LPM -> PC transmission.

You'll need to get justinjja to help you figure that out; I'm not familiar with the inner workings of the LPM you bought.

Trevor

Last edited:
ARG, thank you for the information. It looks promising and I'm very pleased to have it. I am sure if I have the same kind of issues that I had with a LaserBee 2.5W USB I will be looking into this very closely. I really do appreciate the heads up, the problems I had with Windows 8.1 were the program never recognized the LPM so if I ran a test it would reply "no signal" in the lower left corner of the graph, even after installing the PL2303 drivers for the USB ports. I don't have to worry about that any longer, but will keep this in mind. :) paul1598419

Hello everyone, I am looking at adding logging to this meter. meierlight
All logging would be done on the 10w scale. This meter uses a head that is 2 wire, all amplification etc is done in the meter with op07 and 741 opamp, the voltage shifts according to scale resistor network, but for logging as I said I'll be on the 10w scale.

On the 10w scale the voltage is equal to 1/5mv per mw. Hopefully I stated that correct to put some numbers to it. 6mv = 30mw, 100mv = 500mw, 1v = 5w

I am planing on using the ISIS board and am trying to figure out if this correction factor of x5, would be best
1) built pre-input use a opamp for 5x gain
2) in the ISIS board firmware
3) in this peregrine LPM software.

My apologies if this belonged in the delta ISIS thread wasn't certain where I should place it.

Thoughts? Also worst case I have a Ophir head but ideally want it to work on this meter. Thanks

Last edited:
Nice meter!

You can try to tap the signal after the internal op-amp to avoid the need to recalibrate. If that signal is exacly 1/5 it should be very easy to do the correction on the Isis firmware - just multiply the result by 5 before printing to serial.

TBH I'd try to tap the LED display directly, that way you only need a regular Arduino to use the meter's built-in ADC (which is probably better). Worst case scenario you can solder a wire from each of the LED's pins to the Arduino and figure the values from that.

Nice meter!

You can try to tap the signal after the internal op-amp to avoid the need to recalibrate. If that signal is exacly 1/5 it should be very easy to do the correction on the Isis firmware - just multiply the result by 5 before printing to serial.

TBH I'd try to tap the LED display directly, that way you only need a regular Arduino to use the meter's built-in ADC (which is probably better). Worst case scenario you can solder a wire from each of the LED's pins to the Arduino and figure the values from that.

Thanks. The resistive network is switched and tied directly to the output pin of the 741, so no matter what I would do I am out of luck unless I'd actually cut the trace, buffer the signal twice feeding one back to the meter and the other to the logger. Easier to just deal with only logging on the 10w scale, incorporating the x5 factor somehow. most all my stuff is over 2w which is the next scale down from 10w.

Cool I'll have to take a look at the firmware tomorrow, I haven't yet downloaded or looked at it. I have a board on the way. So hopefully next week I'll be able to try.

Just realized the BNC on the back is a output of this same voltage that follows the scale voltage. Guess it woulda helped me if I could have read the Chinese on the back of the unit. lol You can see in the picture how it is tied to the line labeled output on the pcb. Would have saved me some disassembly.

The guts.
IMG_0479.JPG

Last edited:
Peregrine works great, I was just testing it with my new Radiant X4 under Windows 8 on my Toshiba laptop. Worked fine the first time. Thanks Trevor.

Alan

Started a thread here. If anyone has a solution for 1.4 or 1.5 running on a mac using 10.8.5 Id love to hear about it!

In addition have any of you had problems getting the rubicon recognised on a mac? If you have any suggestions Im all ears! :thanks: :beer:

Just an update that I found the culprit for the connection error
in peregrine. The issue is the Java libraries in
the java 7 runtime environment.
This means peregrine will need to be updated to take advantage
in order for it to connect at all.
Details in the other thread.

I just downloaded Peregrine on my Mac (OSX Mavericks) and I get an error message saying that the application is damaged and should be moved to trash.

Yes, I did open the app from the MACOSX folder, and not the Windows or Linux folders, so that's not the issue :p

Any help is appreciated!
Adam

Trevor

1) Open System Preferences
2) Open Security & Privacy
3) Go to the General Tab
4) Change the "Allow applications downloaded from:" setting to "Anywhere"

Trevor

1) Open System Preferences
2) Open Security & Privacy
3) Go to the General Tab
4) Change the "Allow applications downloaded from:" setting to "Anywhere"

Trevor

Thank you - works like a charm! :D
I thought about doing that, but since it said the file was damaged, I didn't think it'd make a difference. Normally when it doesn't trust a developer, it will pop up with something about opening an app form an unidentified developer, not a corrupt file.

Adam

Thank you - works like a charm! :D
I thought about doing that, but since it said the file was damaged, I didn't think it'd make a difference. Normally when it doesn't trust a developer, it will pop up with something about opening an app form an unidentified developer, not a corrupt file.

Adam

Also to make sure you unlock the Java libraries, or you'll end up with no input from your LPM. Otherwise serial input = false

Use Terminal command:

sudo mkdir -p /var/lock
sudo chmod 777 /var/lock

enter your use password
hit return.
libraries are unlocked
I posted about that huge headache earlier.

Last edited:

rhd

Maybe this is answered somewhere, but how do I zoom out?

I just got a Radiant X4, and the LightSpeed software doesn't scale the time axis. It uses a fixed duration. Peregrine seems okay with indefinite time spans, but I can't find a way to zoom out so that I can see the whole graph.

This may be blasphemy, but I'm looking for a way to make the X4 graphic software behave roughly how my Laserbee USB does :shhh: