Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Peregrine - The Free, Open Source LPM Interface

Trevor

Re: Peregrine - The Free LPM Interface

I isolated the cause of the problem, for sure. I had added threading to the graph and dataset export, because Peregrine would momentarily freeze when exporting. This is due to the file being written using the same thread as the GUI.

To solve this, I just spun off a thread to build the file and generate the graph. Unfortunately, ProGuard didn't take too kindly to the threading and messed it up, hence the issues people were seeing. What have I done to solve this, you ask?

Peregrine is going open source!

Because of the enormous amount of drama that surrounded the beginning of the project, I'd initially decided to keep it closed-source. I planned to eventually open-source it once I'd thoroughly commented the code, but this issue with the obfuscator has fast-tracked it.

The way I see it, the program will be completely transparent, it will be modifiable by users to better fit their needs, users can submit changes in this thread, and it generally better enables developers of hobbyist laser power meters to deliver a better product.

I'll update the OP in a few minutes once I get everything uploaded. ( EDIT: OP updated. )

Happy hacking!

Trevor

Last edited:

Because of the enormous amount of drama that surrounded the beginning of the project, I'd initially decided to keep it closed-source. I planned to eventually open-source it once I'd thoroughly commented the code, but this issue with the obfuscator has fast-tracked it.

The way I see it, the program will be completely transparent, it will be modifiable by users to better fit their needs, users can submit changes in this thread, and it generally better enables developers of hobbyist laser power meters to deliver a better product.

I'll update the OP in a few minutes once I get everything uploaded. ( EDIT: OP updated. )

Happy hacking!

Trevor

like i really needed something else to occupy what little time i have!!! now I need to learn java.

Thank you :beer: even though I have no idea what in the world I am doing yet lol

ARG

YbcQK4C.gif

Awesome! I'll have to take a look at what's going on in there :)

Last edited:
I am still having issues with it not reading my argmeter. Everything is detected it just doesn't show or graph any reading. When I use arduino serial monitor you can see that the meter is working properly. Any idea on what it could be?

I am using a macbook pro running osx 10.8.3

Last edited:

Trevor

Last edited:
The call to connect is failing. I had to run these two shell commands to get any Processing program (Peregrine included) to connect to anything on my Macbook:

sudo mkdir /var/lock
sudo chmod 777 /var/lock

Seoul_lasers and grainde both needed to do that, then it worked.

EDIT: Also, this post is relevant to your interests: http://laserpointerforums.com/f70/peregrine-free-open-source-lpm-interface-80589-2.html#post1158585

Trevor

You are the man worked like a charm!

so with the new download is there any way to remove the debug mode, or serial consol window for the windows version?

Trevor

Go in the data folder, open Peregrine.conf, and disable them. :)

For more specific information, see the "Configuration" section in the OP.

Trevor

Is there and easy way to change the background color to black and the units of measure and time along with the graph title to white? I like running a green line and that would look so good against black.

Trevor

I haven't implemented it in settings yet, but if you open the code in Processing, you can go into Graph.pde and change...

Code:
background(color(255, 255, 255));

to...

Code:
background(color(0, 0, 0));

That will change the background color of the graphing area to black, but the main window will stay white.

Then you can re-export the application for Windows. :)

Trevor

Last edited:

Trevor

...so, anyone gotten an opportunity to play around at all with the source? :D

Trevor