Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Parents and lasers

They are your parents. They know if your responsible enough to own and operate one.

This is assuming that they have knowledge about lasers, which the OP said they did not... Though I do agree that 14 is a bit too young to get into lasers without your parents consent.

TTerbo

You're only 14, just wait a few years and you'll be of legal age and can buy whatever you want and you'll be the only person responsible for your actions.

i was 14 when i started , and yet i have a few HeNe lasers, and built a laser projector :whistle:

Last edited:

Things

Luckily I never had this problem with my parents. I joined LPF at the age of 13, around 4 years ago. I did a fair bit of reading, and bought my first 5mW green from eBay. Of course, they were a little curious, however this was long before most of the plane incidents, so they weren't as badly publicized.

I would say, just give it a while. Some peoples parents are more understanding of their child's hobbies (I was playing with high voltage at the age of 10, my father even helped me BUILD it), however some are not as informed about what is dangerous about it and what is not.

Of course, a 100mW green is pretty high to start off with. Like myself and others have said, starting off with a little 5mW green, and using it responsibly (Not burning or lightning matches, not you could do that with 5mW anyway), and maybe doing some safer things like diffraction experiments.

My understanding from your post is that your parents are simply concerned about all the recent aircraft incidents, and do not want you (And in turn, them) to become a part of it, even if you believe you are responsible enough to know not to do it.

vk2fro

Nor did I

I got several hene's and built power supplies for them.

The only laser that didnt impress my parents for the inaugral firing was the argon, it tripped the circuit breaker (no precharge circuit or inrush limiter LOL)

no fun that your folks wont let you have one, but dont go behind your folks back, they will probably punish you and take away the laser.

Likewise in your predicament, back when they were legal, my folks wouldnt let me have a bb gun.

I bought one anyway, and got caught plinking paper targets in the grarage. I had two choices, hand it over or take it back to the shop. I chose the latter, explained to the man and he put it up as a second hand unit. I got a good percentage of my money back, and a lesson never to try and bypass the parents again.

Lets hope they come around and let you have a laser (even if its a 5mw) so you can build their confidence in your responsibility.

only problem now is they refuse to talk about lasers at all and won't even discuss lower powers anyway.

make a story: get a book with laser experiments, and prove that to become a successful physicist or a scientist you must start to do all these experiments NOW :san:

I've got no intention of going behind my parents back as it will just lead to more arguments and less trust and yes I do have my own bank account (and card) which they monitor.

I do agree I've probably misjudged just how bright a 100mW green will be trouble is with pictures/videos nobody says "Oh it does look kind of like this" so I have nothing to go on there. I think I may just get a few books about lasers and take up archery or cooking instead for now.

Thanks for the response guys I'm enjoying reading your views on this :)

ixfd64

Me: "Exactly, with lasers you learn about the science"
Mother: "We're not talking about this anymore don't bring it up again"

She obviously doesn't want to admit that she's losing the argument. :yh:

Ash

I do agree I've probably misjudged just how bright a 100mW green will be trouble is with pictures/videos nobody says "Oh it does look kind of like this" so I have nothing to go on there.
Looking at the "dot" on a white wall from a 100mW green laser is like briefly looking at the sun. You get a large "stain" in your vision (along with a slight headache) that may take a few minutes to go away. With prolonged exposure (without safety glasses) to this bright green light, permanent optical damage can occur. :yabbmad:
If you are serious about getting a laser, start with one that is 5-10mW or less.

There's nothing wrong with studying archery, cooking, and lasers. :bday:

vk2fro

A 30mw green pointer will light up the room if pointed at the roof enough to read by. In an average room, well lit, the beam (with dust particles) will be visable. Dot will be damn bright.

a 100mw laser in comparison will look more like a light sabre, the beam being easily visible in a well lit room. Dot will be painful to look at for more than a few moments.

A 1 watt 532 will burn a hole into the curtains (I've done it LOL!). Consider NOT looking at the dot without laser glasses

A 1 watt 445 laser will appear 1/3 as bright as a 1 watt 532, and easily still burn through those curtains :). Dont look at the dot without laser glasses. Although lower in apparent brightness, still as dangerous.

edit: added dot comparison.

Last edited:

RECON

I wouldn't give up this minute. Just a thought...why not lay low for a month or two as said, then when the parents are in a really good mood bring it up again. But ease into it. Ask if it would be ok for them to have it in their possession and give it to you to use when you want with them being there while you use it. Offer to settle for a lower power such as a 50-75mw, which will still producing a visible beam. This is a cheaper option and your parents may agree to such terms. It will be your laser, but it will be in their possession, letting them retain the authority they rightfully have. I feel some middle ground can be reached here. Good luck.

Cooking is fun. Archery is also fun. Don't give up, and tell us how it goes.

...Make a laser guided bow!!

Cooking is fun. Archery is also fun. Don't give up, and tell us how it goes.

...Make a laser guided bow!!

Your idea intrigues me and sounds like something I could do with a low powered laser. I might start making some plans then.

Thanks for the idea Jai and thanks everyone else for your thoughts.

I'd say buy a pair of laser goggles.
If you are willing to go ahead and buy the safety gear first that might impress them.
After the goggles, ask to to buy a <5mW pointer on ebay, most are overspec and the ebay/paypal thing is going to keep your parents from thinking that there are 6 billion hackers on the interwebz trying to steal your money ^_^
The phrase that I use when people ask about online security is: "ebay and paypal would look bad if they let people steal my info, they can't afford to let that happen".
Some people believe that once you have an online account all of your money will be stolen along with your identity and the terrorists will use that info to buy bazookas :na:
Ease their fears about online purchases, show that you are willing to get the safety gear first, buy a "5mW" laser that runs on a couple of AAA batteries, restrict your use of it (if you can get it) to within your room, etc.
Then after a month or two of using your little laser they might let you get a good one ;)
Small steps bro, good luck!

Did you mention burning, btw?

If not, good. Keep it that way.

Do not mention burning, or burn anything in front of them or smell of smoke around them (although that part's for a different reason) or anything like that. That'll scare them. And parents scare easy.

Definitely build the laser-guided bow. And post pics when it's done... and PM me! My parents will let me have whatever laser i want but point blank refuse to buy me a crossbow :p Want to trade? ;)

^^^ I found my crossbow pretty useless. Killed a beaver that was messing up a buddies' stream but it sucks for hunting, pointless for target practice, gets expensive if you are buying accessories, and requires no skill to use.
Bows require skill but crossbows have been the traditional poachers weapon for years for a reason.
Get a gun :crackup: