Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

P7 led

I can attest to that. My 2x18650 is considerably brighter than my 1x18650 DX P7 flashlight.

anyone knows how to have one p7 assembled??

do you have any tutorial links? thanks!

What do you mean? It's not too much different then lasers. Just solder the LED to the driver, and the driver to the power source/switch. And if you have a lot of surface area, such as a Maglite, you can usually drive at 3 amps.

Speaking of a lot of heatsinking:

The Torch Flashlight - World's Brightest Flashlight from Wicked Lasers

Just watch the videos.

That's a 100 watt halogen, with 15 minute runtime. Doesn't seem to impressive to me.
grin.gif

At least not when you can have a 400W in a 6D Maglite with D sized Li Ion batteries.
evil.gif
Instant scorch.

Last edited:

ZRTMWA

Its just a light bulb in a flashlight host,

what is the brightest LED out there in terms of lumen?

ZRTMWA

What do you mean? It's not too much different then lasers. Just solder the LED to the driver, and the driver to the power source/switch. And if you have a lot of surface area, such as a Maglite, you can usually drive at 3 amps.

That's a 100 watt halogen, with 15 minute runtime. Doesn't seem to impressive to me.
grin.gif

At least not when you can have a 400W in a 6D Maglite with D sized Li Ion batteries.
evil.gif
Instant scorch.

Reminds me of maglite fail:

original_maglite_18_1_420x297_eng_carlos.jpg.jpeg

Last edited:

grin.gif

evil.gif
Instant scorch.

hmm thats why i was asking because i want to build one of these :( i need a 900 lumen flashlight because im going to go mountain hiking with some friends.

jayrob

I modified a light I had with a P7 emitter shown here:
http://laserpointerforums.com/laser_pointer_forums_3/forum/showthread.php?t=34160

That's because I already had the light, and wanted it brighter...

But in the thread, I show a link to the same host already built with a P7 from DX. It's a great light. I found that there is a difference in batteries in a high current single battery build like this. Use AW batteries for the best output! :)

yeah i noticed it got very hot, heatsinking is going to be the biggest hurdle and i'd say it's the biggest setback for putting them into tiny hosts.

anyone know how much heat these things can safely handle? can it be heated enough to solder the bottom of the LED directly onto the star instead of having it just sit on it?

jayrob

well hello there jayrob,

i think i might need your advice here..

i have this 30Watt Luxeon Police Flashlight given by a friend..
operated with

3x (C size) batteries (a total of 4.5v all in all)

Photo454.jpg

well i dismanteled the flashlight it seems that there is no driver, all i see was a star, heatsink and a side switch. i did not go further, maybe ther was a driver... but its hidden in bellow the side switch..

anyway here are more pics...

Photo455.jpg

Photo456.jpg

Photo458.jpg

well jay i hope you can advice on what to do.. i want this flashlight to be more brighter.. anway this flashlight has 500-600 lumens already...

jayrob

In my thread, I have a link to the bare emitter from DX, as well as a driver that I bought from Kaidomain...

You will have to drill out the hole in the reflector to fit the much larger P7 emitter. The position (depth) of the emitter inside the reflector will be the determining factor in spot vs wide throw. But P7's are kind of wide anyway because they are so big.

The emitter will have to be glued to the star with thermal adhesive, and then solder the connections. Also use thermal adhesive for the star to the heatsink.

The driver will come with a diagram (or the diagram is at the sale site) to show how to connect it.

I would recommend nothing but good quality lithium AAA's such as Energizer e2 lithium...