Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Ouch! Hurts so much!

Got a shot back in the eye reflected from a brown paint some sort of mirrored area, from my 50mw greeny pen... i dont have black spots (i think!) in the view.. but my right eye is just hurting so much since this afternoon... it is 5 hours now, and still is hurting inside...

Should i see a doctor?

Was just a fast hit.. i didnt stare longer the beam...and the beam of this 50mw greeny is quite tiny, i would say that is less than a disco laser beam... but was enough to let me flashed for a few seconds... now, i've still pain..

i should add that is cheap pen, with 50mw declared, but laserbee reports something like 28mw, and is not able to burn anything not even to pop a ballon.. i just use it around home for play,
but never had the beam reflected straight in the eye since now!

damn..

obviously i wasnt wearing my goggles :confused:

i see everything as usual, just feel pain inside.

Last edited:

KenjiY

In my opinion, if you feel pain, go see an eye doctor. If there is no permanent burns or scarring maybe they can give you some proteins or something to help it heal or just sooth pain, and in the worst case scenario, if there is damage, they might be able to give you something to minimize long term effects. Good luck.

drevil

Its probably a good idea to see a doctor. From what I understand that can give you stuff to reduce damage.

daguin

Exposure to a CO2 laser can cause pain on the surface of the eye or the cornea.

However, the retina lacks pain receptors. Any "pain" you are feeling "inside your eye" is not related to the laser causing damage to your sight.

Pain is a good reason to see an ophthalmologist. A laser hit is a good reason to see an ophthalmologist. However, it is very doubtful that the pain in your eye is caused by the laser hit you have described

Peace,
dave

I've heard of something called Bright light shock {or something to that effect} that can cause eye pain. Don't know if it's true or not, but maybe someone here can explain what it is and if it's true.

My 0.02

anselm

Any "pain" you are feeling "inside your eye" is not related to the laser causing damage to your sight.
Then how come staring into the sun or at a welding arc hurts?
Those can cause damage to your eyesight IIRC.

I know that a laser flashed in the eye hurts.
I've been told that a laser can damage the eyes too.
Even if the damage and the pain don't have origin in the same tissue,
I do see a strong correlation between pain and damage.

Last edited:

hydguy

I have had flash burn from welding, It came from just the reflections under my hood. It feels like you have sand in your eyes. Gets worse when you close them...but it did go away, 6 houres later.

daguin

Both welding flash and soreness from the sun are caused by a "sunburn" to the surface of the eye and the edge of the eyelids. That is why it feels like "sandpaper." The surface is swollen and sensitive

The pain one feels when a flashbulb goes off or a bright light is shined into the eye is caused by the muscles around and inside the eye "straining" to avoid the light. The muscles tense up. The eye turns to the side "violently." The muscles controlling the lids snap shut and clench. The iris closes abruptly and completely. The muscles controlling the cornea may tighten. These things can all cause pain.

The retina does not have pain nerves. You cannot feel a retinal burn. That is one of the reasons why wearing goggles consistently is important. You may not know that there is damage occurring. Some people perceive a "pop" when the retina is damaged by laser light, but it does not cause pain.

Perhaps you strained a muscle. Perhaps, you have "rubbed" the eye because of fear of damage or irritation of the muscles.

I'm not saying don't get your eyes checked out. I'm just saying the pain is not caused by a retinal burn

Peace,
dave

Last edited:
I vote this guy gets beat to death with the ban stick for being dumb.

sry if that offends you.......but i stand by my comment.

Tonga

Get your eye checked by a physician, might not be a bad idea to head to a minor care or emergency room for this. Do it now!

Matt come on. He warned all of Us. Why else would His forum name be Laserburns. No reason to ban someone for being honest.

daguin

Matt come on. He warned all of Us. Why else would His forum name be Laserburns. No reason to ban someone for being honest.

An admission of guilt is also being honest :whistle:

Your statement could change the very face of justice in the world :angel:

Peace,
dave

Whenever my eyes dialate or contract too quickly by looking at a bright light source, I tend to feel a little bit of pain..

Not from my eyelids, cornea, or retina, but maybe I need to stretch my iris' before playing with LEDs.

Can someone stretch my iris' for me? Thanks

You should always stretch your iris' before playing with light. Otherwise an injury may occur.

Benm

I'd say its a good idea to see a doctor if any laser related eye problem still causes irritation, pain or visual artifacts after 15 minutes of exposure. It doesnt meen that any harm has been done, but getting it checked out as a precaution soubds sebsible to me.

If you wear contact lenses its easier to tell the difference between just a bit of irritation and actual damage. Superficial irritation to the cornea has a particular feel to it, but i doubt many non-contact users are used to the sensation. Any sort of 'burning' sensation in the eye is most likely caused by the cornea, which is not typical of visible laser damage.

Still, i would just have it checked to make absolutely sure - even if chances of real damage are slim, the risk remains too big to afford.

Exposure to a CO2 laser can cause pain on the surface of the eye or the cornea.

However, the retina lacks pain receptors. Any "pain" you are feeling "inside your eye" is not related to the laser causing damage to your sight.

Pain is a good reason to see an ophthalmologist. A laser hit is a good reason to see an ophthalmologist. However, it is very doubtful that the pain in your eye is caused by the laser hit you have described

Peace,
dave

Probably i am wrong as described as "internal pain", i mean.. the pain was like when you get a phisical hit on the eye.

Thanks god this morning the pain is mostly gone, and left place to red eye and watery effect.

what a shock was to wake up and see everything unfocused on the right eye.. i scared myself and told "it is gone!"... but was just unfocused because full watery, so i just blinked a couple of times and the vision became normal.

I must say that hurts very little, but it is itchy.. i will try to not rub it, and will put some eyedrops.

thanks to everyone for effort and support... will see later if is the case to see a physician... does not look so urgent, maybe i will take an appointment in the week, so i may check before the end of the month if everything is right.

Last edited: