Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Osram PLP520-B1 520nm Green Laser Diode

Well done that man, mistakes are all part of the learning process, have some rep.

Thanks a lot for that. I thought that it was FUBARed completely, I mean I twisted the driver right off the pins to the diode while at the same time twisting said pins together. I had to (very gently) untwist the diode pins then making sure I had the proper anode/cathode pin lined up with the +/- markers on that tiny driver. Two little dabs of solder and it was back together again! Loaded the battery and it fired up no problem. Just wish I had a LaserBee to measure the exact output. I'm using one 3.7V 5000mAh Li-ion battery with the driver that DTR provided set at 400mA. Any educated guesses at the output?

Awesome. Glad you got it back up and running.;)

Thanks! I was pretty worried for a little while there. Your data sheet for this diode helped me a lot! Once I figured out which pin was which it was just a matter of doing the soldering. Something which I'm not really good at but I am getting better, so I was nervous doing this. A little shaky. But research, patience and focus persevered! Thanks again DTR, I will be doing a red build soon, probably with a custom host this time.

Last edited:

vk2fro

If I wasnt so poor at the moment I'd be buying one of these diodes - they sure look like a good start to getting back into playing around with lasers. First gotta clean off all the junk on my workbench before I can build anything!

I was so close to ordering one but then I thought "nah not yet. cant do the 2 weeks of 2 minute noodles thing again" :crackup:

I also want to get my omnichrome working - still havent found a supply for it yet. Also go an ILT in the pipeworks that supposedly does over half a watt :)

Last edited:
If I wasnt so poor at the moment I'd be buying one of these diodes - they sure look like a good start to getting back into playing around with lasers. First gotta clean off all the junk on my workbench before I can build anything!

I was so close to ordering one but then I thought "nah not yet. cant do the 2 weeks of 2 minute noodles thing again" :crackup:

I know how that is, but you don't have to live off just those noodles, other really cheap foods include: rice, instant mashed potatos, or any potatos, macaroni and cheese, oatmeal, and popcorn. There are a few other things but they will vary by location and time of year and how you buy them. Beans and lentils can be really cheap if you cook them yourself and don't buy them canned.

Sorry to go off topic but this may be important to some members to be able to support their laser addiction. :crackup:

Alan

Hey DTR,
so I bought from you one of these diodes and drivers to build into a c6 host from Mcrouse. I bought from survival lasers a extra large copper heat sink and have a question about driver heat. Do you think heat sinking the driver which is 400mA along with the large copper heat sink would give me a very long duty cycle or is sinking the driver a waste of materials?
Funny, I was going through my laser parts organizer bins and totally forgot I had this diode from you! Glad I saw it tonight because I was going to order one lol!
Thanks buddy

DTR

Hey DTR,
so I bought from you one of these diodes and drivers to build into a c6 host from Mcrouse. I bought from survival lasers a extra large copper heat sink and have a question about driver heat. Do you think heat sinking the driver which is 400mA along with the large copper heat sink would give me a very long duty cycle or is sinking the driver a waste of materials?
Funny, I was going through my laser parts organizer bins and totally forgot I had this diode from you! Glad I saw it tonight because I was going to order one lol!
Thanks buddy

The driver will run continuously the way it is @ 400mA. Only thing to keep an eye on is the diode duty cycle.:beer:

The driver will run continuously the way it is @ 400mA. Only thing to keep an eye on is the diode duty cycle.:beer:

Okay great thank you. And what would you estimate the diode duty cycle to be with a copper heatsink in the c6 host?

Okay great thank you. And what would you estimate the diode duty cycle to be with a copper heatsink in the c6 host?

Fairly long. That's only ~2.6W of heat to dissipate, which isn't much, especially considering a copper heatsink, and with c6's the heatsink makes fairly good contact with the host, so you will be more than fine.

Ordered late in the afternoonon the 3rd and arrived before noon on the 15th on standard postage.
Thanks to cheech226 for the RL-118 that I had been searching for over a year.
Thanks to DTR for the speedy deliver, and quality products as always.

This little unit is running at 650mA off an AW IMR 16340, and regardless if a 3 element or acrylic is used, it burns as well as any 1W 445 I've ever had.

Cheers gents :beer:

How's this thing holding up at 650mA? Still alive? I'm building one now that is currently at 500mA. It hits 234mW @ 500mA. I want to push it to get it up closer to 300mW, but I don't want to kill the diode life too badly.

BobMc

Saw these back up on the site so I ordered one. Limited supply.

These are great diodes. Limited supply? Heard something about that. Just might have to grab a couple for a rainy day.

:thanks: for bringing it up, to our attention dden. :)

Last edited:
Just received one spare PLP520-B1 from DTR today... :D

Thanks for the fan too :thanks:

BobMc

Just received one spare PLP520-B1 from DTR today... :D

Thanks for the fan too :thanks:

I do believe the mail carrier delivered that package to the wrong address. But you are more than welcome to forward it to the correct address, mine. :D

Last edited: