Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Osram PL530 - Tiny 530nm OPSL

Regarding the PL530, the LPF price I was offered from the seller in Seattle (if I buy some this week, not sure he will offer them that low later) was 10 dollars each, if buying a full pack of 50 or more. Good price compared to this listing on ebay, but of course, total cost much more if you only want a couple. (Paul, medical is very good in Ukraine and 1/10 the cost compared to the US.)

ebay PL530.png

His description:

"Osram OPSL PB530 green laser, holography ! This unique narrow frequency laser will make holograms extremely deep and has a beautiful output beam just made for holography and other areas requiring a narrow frequency Laser light. a nine page PDF specifications can be sent (per request), after purchase. Comes as a seen in the pictures and will be ready for your wiring and testing. These OPSL are very similar in design of coherent sapphire laser but in miniature form ! This laser can easily be run for hours on a proper driver and a phone battery bank (4.5VDC). By proper tuning and active cooling this laser will easily achieve 75mw SLM... set at 50mw or less passive cooling is all that’s required...

Please note this is for the laser diode module only, if you will require a driver please see my other auctions as I have this laser available with a controller and will require 4.5 V to run it..."

Additionally, I found the following: https://www.hou.usra.edu/meetings/lpsc2019/pdf/2178.pdf

Screen Shot 2019-02-02 at 10.35.50 PM.png

According to this article (screen shot above), they are capable of up to 120 mw, I assume if actively cooled.

More PPLN info: https://www.thorlabs.com/catalogpages/693.pdf

"PPLN is one of the most efficient crystals for frequency doubling. It has been used to frequency double pulsed 1064nm beams with up to 80% conversion efficiency in a single pass, thus eliminating the need for difficult laser designs with intra-cavity doubling crystals or matched external cavities, which are needed with conventional doubling crystals. The power handling is excellent for infrared pump and output wavelengths (e.g. SHG of 1550nm → 775nm); however, when using PPLN to frequency double into the visible, the power handling ability of the crystal is more limited. It has been demonstrated that PPLN can handle up to 600mW at 532nm when frequency doubling 1064nm. The exact power handling limit and conversion efficiency depend on the properties of the laser beam used (e.g. pulse length, repetition rate, beam quality, and line width.)"

Attachments

• PL530 specs.pdf
    313.9 KB · Views: 19
  • 2178.pdf
    390.8 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

That sounds like a very good price for these, Chris. There are people here who are working at building Raman spectrometers and it sounds like these lasers would work well for that too. I think much better than the 532nm ones they are using now. I'll be interested in any information you get from working with these units.

Agreed, I just wanted to get a 2D idea of what you were imaging.

I would also like to see some pictures of your holography, Anthony. I know that stills can't do them justice, but a video of them could look much better. I have never tried to make holograms with a green laser, so this is of great interest to me.

Anthony P

I would also like to see some pictures of your holography, Anthony. I know that stills can't do them justice, but a video of them could look much better. I have never tried to make holograms with a green laser, so this is of great interest to me.
Message received, gentlemen. I will try to get camera this week.

Anthony P

OK, here are some hologram photos. This was made and displayed with the PL530. It is a transmission type. The first is the real image as viewed through the plate, and the second is the pseudoscopic view in front of the plate. The photos do not do it justice. In real life they are both very sharp and clear with great depth. As it turns out, figuring out how to use a digital camera and its software is far more difficult than shooting and developing a hologram. lol.

Here is what I just finished off tonight, has anyone else finished pointer? full build video on YouTube coming soon.

Worlds first OPSL Laser Pointer?

Attachments

• IMG_0422.JPG
    IMG_0422.JPG
    404.3 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_0423.JPG
    IMG_0423.JPG
    466.8 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0424.JPG
    IMG_0424.JPG
    77.2 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_0432.JPG
    IMG_0432.JPG
    418.9 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0435.JPG
    IMG_0435.JPG
    283 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_0439.JPG
    IMG_0439.JPG
    363.1 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0451.JPG
    IMG_0451.JPG
    396.1 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0452.JPG
    IMG_0452.JPG
    468.8 KB · Views: 25
Anthony, great, love it. Now I’ve got to learn to do that! I received my pack of these OPSL units yesterday and yes, I will be putting some in pointers too :)

Chris

Anthony, great, love it. Now I’ve got to learn to do that! I received my pack of these OPSL units yesterday and yes, I will be putting some in pointers too :)

Chris

I bet you can run the heater on the same 3v

You will want to use a beam expander and collimator lens pair just like the 532nm dpss lasers use, you could likely use the same 532 sourced lenses and set the separation distance to infinity or you could use just a very long focal length lens which looks like what Zenodilodon may have used, however for the best results a concave-convex pair would make the best beam.

Last edited:
That is an unusual photo plate you cut for this hologram, Anthony. Have you tried making any reflection holograms yet? They are a bit more involved than transmission ones, but you can view them in ordinary light.