Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Osram PL 515 New 515nm diode?

Last edited:

Saw this on eBay today and was wondering if anyone has any experience with it.

New OSRAM 515nm 520nm 30mW Green Laser Diode LD PL515 TO38 3 8mm | eBay

Data sheet can be seen here:

Green Laser | Visible Laser | OSRAM Opto Semiconductors

$20 for the diode isn't very expensive so I'll probably pull the trigger and grab one anyway but just wanted to to see what others who have already tried it think of the diode/color?

They aren't new, a few members have them, I think there was even a group buy. Also AixiZ has been selling a complete module with driver and lens for a long time now with this diode for $85. $20 for just the diode is a good price. I don't have one so I can't say anything about it but I do have the low power PL520 and I really like it.

Alan

I have a sanwu laser with this diode putting out 50mW, I love the wavelength, it seems just like a 520nm by itself, until you put it next to a 520nm then you see the difference, Its a good wavelength to add to the collection!
Very Low divergence with a single element lens too, Im guessing its a single mode Diode

Thanks for sharing that. I hope I have the same results with the one I ordered. I'd really like to start expanding my wavelength collection of nice beam spec single mode lasers. Don't get me wrong raw power is great but that I can personally satisfy with one single laser. Diverse colors and a nice beam is what drives me in this hobby. If only the PLT5-488 wasn't $1000+ per diode lol. So for now I'll have to settle for an optically corrected and overdriven NUBM07E lol.

With the way things have been the last few years I'd be willing to bet that a relatively cheap single mode collection of all the rainbow colors isn't too far off into the future. Heck back in 2009 if someone would have told me that I was going to consider reasonably priced 3+ watts of 470nm as being a compromise let alone possible I would have called them crazy.

I have a sanwu laser with this diode putting out 50mW, I love the wavelength, it seems just like a 520nm by itself, until you put it next to a 520nm then you see the difference, Its a good wavelength to add to the collection!
Very Low divergence with a single element lens too, Im guessing its a single mode Diode

Benm

These seem like nice diodes. Not a lot of power, but an interesting wavelength and single mode, so pretty nice beams. Since there will not be much heat generated i think they could be very good for general purpose green pointers - a tad more expensive than 532 nm for now, but without all the thermal problems.

Saw this on eBay today and was wondering if anyone has any experience with it.

New OSRAM 515nm 520nm 30mW Green Laser Diode LD PL515 TO38 3 8mm | eBay

Data sheet can be seen here:

Green Laser | Visible Laser | OSRAM Opto Semiconductors

$20 for the diode isn't very expensive so I'll probably pull the trigger and grab one anyway but just wanted to to see what others who have already tried it think of the diode/color?

Seller isn't clear on whether that's a 515 or 520. Either way I don't trust that an ebay seller is giving you a real 515 and not a 520.

Seller isn't clear on whether that's a 515 or 520. Either way I don't trust that an ebay seller is giving you a real 515 and not a 520.

Seems like I would have noticed that in the title. I wonder if they made that change recently or if it was actually always advertised like that. . .

looking at the data sheet however it says 510nm min 515 nm typ and 530nm max

this confused me at first too. but if you look at the actual part number.. its a pl515.
I have a few of these diodes. Great color.. very robust! I ran it with a copper c6 heatsink powered to 170mA and ran it for my ghetto spryrograph projector for over an hour with no heat issues

Pman

See what I ended up running both of mine at in the 515nm GB;)

laserbtb 20->50mw(when hot)
It's just *that much more of a minty green color than 520. You might have a better chance of getting closer to 510 if you underdrive it at 5mw or 1mw instead of 30mw

I'm waiting for the 2w direct greens to come out, then the 1w prices can come down to earth. We are talking about multi mode projector bulbs after all, besides I have some very nice DPSS units.
Now if there was a 488-500nm diode that I would have to have.

Last edited: