Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Optotronics RPL-II 532 nm +1400 mW - opinions and experience?

I wonder how many years this will remain the most powerful 532 nm DPSS laser pointer? I bet a very long time, congratulations! Nice :)

My first impressions with 532 nm 1.4+ W Optotronics RPL-II

Laser shots & beam shots

Here she is.

A view from top with my Zippo for size comparsion.

Pic from day two with various stuff around for size comparsion. Note the key.

Here we go! The beam is strong and thin. Blurry part in front is due to camera focus (all pics are taken with mobile, I was worried to damage my camera with such a strong laser). Note the glare and shadows around. All these pics used standard lightbulb and laser as illumination. Note shadows. I did not adjusted the pics just resized them.

Laser in operation.

Laser in operation again.

Here you can see what she does with a match after a few seconds. In deed the match is cut through, just the burned stuff holds it together.

Radim

Next I'd like to see some long distance pics similar to what ArcticDude has done. Some pics of the spot demonstrating the beam profile.

Do not worry, I'll do some and post them here. As Alex said, proper safe environment is essential, the beam profile is great and therefore carrying some eye danger for long distance. Still I do not have such a beautiful sceneries as ArcticDude has, but I'll for sure find some way to show the beam profile. In the review I expect to have some artworks done, to demonstrate the purpose of this laser.

Alaskan, yes, I think it will remain on top for a while. In deed as it runs on one 18650 batt there is not much space to go further without more batts in the host IMO. In addition it is hard to have high DPSS power and reasonable duty cycle. Still I'm surprised how great the host seems to be in heat disipation. I expected it to get warm to hot very soon, but not the case. I'm careful with it anyway. The laser is not cheap to try its limits just for test.

I'm wondering what the limitation is to prevent us from building a higher power DPSS pointer? My guess guess is it would become huge and require a TEC to keep the diode and NL crystal at temperature. Do you know if that pointer has any kind of cooling or heating to keep the diode and crystals at temperature? I'm guessing not, I have not seen a pointer which has that yet. If anyone knows of one, please PM me. I want to build a big DPSS pointer someday, although I am sure much easier and a good deal just to buy one of these instead :)

Thus, my interest in its stability, curious how stable it is, if it is fairly stable, how would be the next question. Did the maker give specs on power output stability?

Last edited:

GSS

Kinda silly question to ask about such a nice unit and wondered also on laserbtb units?
Not having a momentary switch and no LED on light just how easy is it to tell the unit is on with its safety shutter on the front if left on by mistake?
I'm thinking enough light passing through the shutter door or a glow?

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Radim, thanks for your impressions and photos of this Beast, or is it Beauty? Well, how about "Beautiful Beast", you've got everything covered with that title! ;)
I can't wait to see this in action outdoors where its impressive power can be unleashed.

@GSS, I've got a couple handhelds with shutters, and you can't really see much beam escaping from around the shutter door; I only know this because I've forgotten to open them a few times, luckily without any damage from the beam reflection. I'm thinking you better make sure the shutter is open first.

Edit: I just noticed that the unit pictured in the first post has an LED right above the switch, I wonder why they've changed?

Last edited:
The host looks different than usual RPL laser, it looks bigger at battery compartment (or smaller at heatsink compartment :thinking: ????)

Anyway this is a beast, the beam looks decent
I'd love to see the enlarged beam spot :D
And yeah LPM graph over time :beer:

Reactions: GSS

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Yes, I noticed that also, there is no step in the size from the battery tube to the heatsink portion, it's all the same diameter.
I would hope the battery tube is now larger, and not a smaller heatsink!

Last edited:
I would hope the battery tube is now larger, and not a smaller heatsink!

Yeah, it would makes no sense if they just decided to make the heatsink smaller, and BTW i just realized they have a smaller number of fins compared to small power RPL :can:

I was looking at those fins too, not very deep for the extra power. I suppose they must have a mass of metal in there to deal with that, until it is too hot.

BobMc

Thanks for the pics. Life does get in the way of the laser hobby. ( hate it when that happens) but if not for life we'd have no funds for the hobby. Looking forward to the full review but realize that it take's a bit of time. I've got three or four reviews on hold myself, each one take a afternoon to shoot and post. So will be waiting, when you can. :)

Last edited:
Trump has a lot of money, we just need to make friends, there are lots of rich guys out there who could buy one of these for all of us and not even notice they money.

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Trump has a lot of money, we just need to make friends, there are lots of rich guys out there who could buy one of these for all of us and not even notice they money.
I know, met any of them on your travels? :eg:

Great preliminary review of this powerful handheld laser. I too want to see some power graphs over at least 60 seconds and a good photo of the beam profile. So far, I love it, Radim. If it is hot there, I understand why you have limited the run times. It turned hot here too since last week and hasn't let up for the past 6 days. I am looking forward to more information about this easily most powerful handheld 532nm laser. :yh: