Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Optotronics 150mW+ Premium Pen For Sale *Very Light Use*

I was thinking a single 10440 by itself to give it a .7 volt boost from the standard 3 volt load. I know 7 volts would fry it instantly. But an extra .7 volts to 1 volt might be possible if it's a solid module. It depends on what the driver and diode are capable of. That's the mystery. It could be near its maximum potential tuned to 150mw, or it could push 200mw without a problem. Who knows.

Don't push a $135 laser... I wouldn't take chances, just run it what it's rated for lol.

Razako

These penlasers are already driven at near max power. Best not to get greedy with them.

I might call and ask opto how well they know the actual capability of the module in the 150mw pen just for the heck of it. Probably won't get much out of them. Considering they have a 175mw option, I'm guessing it's the same module. Maybe the 150 is capable of 175 with a pot mod :D But that probably wouldn't be easy to do. I assume you can't disassemble it to the point of seeing the driver without undoing glue or something? I really crave a good 175 to 200mw. But can't break the bank. We'll see.

I might call and ask opto how well they know the actual capability of the module in the 150mw pen just for the heck of it. Probably won't get much out of them. Considering they have a 175mw option, I'm guessing it's the same module. Maybe the 150 is capable of 175 with a pot mod :D But that probably wouldn't be easy to do. I assume you can't disassemble it to the point of seeing the driver without undoing glue or something? I really crave a good 175 to 200mw. But can't break the bank. We'll see.

Optotronics will NOT approve of this. It says "Don't try to open the laser unit. To do so will void the warranty."
Now, I wouldn''t open it, nor would I mess with it. They will tell you that they aren't just driven at different currents. This is a 150mW unit, and it should stay as a 150mW unit. Also, you can buy a 175mW unit, it will cost around $220, which is not worth it IMO if you plan on buying mine. Mine is 88 cents per mW and the 175 unit (If 175) is $1.25 per mW. Mine is a much better deal, and it might be the best you will find, for price and quality.

no you could not do it with a single LiPo because that driver is set at a specific voltage any more than that you could fry it. you might not pop the diode but you would fry the driver. also you would need to find a spacer the correct size of the 10440 in order for it to work. Just a word of advice its better to be safe than sorry!

no you could not do it with a single LiPo because that driver is set at a specific voltage any more than that you could fry it. you might not pop the diode but you would fry the driver. also you would need to find a spacer the correct size of the 10440 in order for it to work. Just a word of advice its better to be safe than sorry!

This true. It would make waste heat if it doesnt instantly fry the driver. And the waste heat would enf up frying the thing anyway.

Pman

I've taken apart many a laser and usually anything worth anything has an adjustment pot. Sometimes it's easy to take one apart and sometimes it isnt and I can tell pretty quickly which is which if I have it in my hands.
Most cheapo 532nm that I've messed with are a waste of better battery as far as output as they increase very little, none or actually go down. There are exceptions though. Every single laser pen I've bought from laserbtb greatly increases in output with more voltage applied. There's a Very measurable output when going from a couple of alkaline AAA to lithium AAA and way more than that with a single 10440 with spacer.
To find out if there's a meaningful benefit you measure with new alkaline, wait a few minutes and then remeasure with new Lithiums. If the input really matters you will see quite the jump in output. It is of course possible let that the reason might have more to do with quality of cells as drawing too much can have a dramatic effect with voltage sag.
There is a difference between regular advanced lithium AAA and ultimate lithium AAA. The ultimates start out at a higher voltage than the advanced ones and it makes a difference especially when you are using them in series.
Of course you are taking a risk with the extra voltage over standard alkaline. Basically comes down to a risk assessment for the individual. I would have to take a look at some of my laserbtb pens to see what the % gain is with the 10440 but it's quite a lot. None have blown but I also don't use them very often and certainly they are not on for more than 5 seconds at a time anyways as I'm not trying to burn with them.
Laserbtb doesn't offer their pens in the higher outputs anymore and it's too bad. Do wonder what their 50mW 532nm will actually output. Certainly wouldn't be surprised if it's significantly over the 50mW and then quite a bit more with the extra voltage. Who knows though, they may have changed their drivers and module source at this point. I'm sure you can see mine in my pen laser thread. Might even be able to read their outputs as I labeled them.
Just looked and you can see the 2 LPC 532 150mW units output 240 and 260mW (I label for max reading/ danger level and not average output) and that's with the single 10440. I remember they were both just above spec so you can see that's a very significant jump. They are the ones shown in the first few pics of post #1

Last edited:
Reactions: GSS

GSS

I can't be the only one who doesn't get a pit in my stomach when even thinking about taking a very nice pen apart and to "pot mod" to squeeze out 10mw more? A few things to think of, this 150mw opto pen mostly likely averages in the 160's of mw and might peak at 170mw so your already there and a 10440 battery can charge to 4.2V. Jack at Optotronics has stated before to not even use high voltage lithium AAA's. Pman has had good success with laserbtb pens but why why even chance it?

Last edited:

Razako

I can't be the only one who doesn't get a pit in my stomach when even thinking about taking a very nice pen apart and to "pot mod" to squeeze out 10mw more? A few things to think of, this 150mw opto pen mostly likely averages in the 160's of mw and might peak at 170mw so your already there and a 10440 battery can charge to 4.2V. Jack at Optotronics has stated before to not even use high voltage lithium AAA's. Pman has had good success with laserbtb pens but why why even chance it?
/My thoughts on the issue. Unless you're dealing with a junky $10 ebay laser why risk messing with the pot or using non-recommended batteries? You might get an extra 10-20mw out of your laser at the cost of reducing your duty cycle and shortening the life of the laser.

At one point I checked laserbtb but seeing the shady website setup I figured all their stuff was cheap garbage. Your pictures do them a lot more justice. You got an extra 100mw with a 10440?? That would be really useful. Hopefully whatever pen I get can take a beating. I'm inclined to try it because believe it or not, when I had my 100mw budgetgadgets pen I hooked it up to a PSU on the 5 volt line and that thing was BRIGHT. I occasionally used it that way for a while and it didn't fry. I ended up losing it or someone stole it. I was just blown away by the price and quality of that laser... To think they had a 200mw pen for 100 bucks. It had to do at least 175mw. What did those btb pens cost?

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
My very first laser was the Optotronics 150mW pen, which was purchased in 2012. It was metered by Jack at 159mW, and it still outputs 155~160mW today, nearly 4 years later.
This has probably been my most used laser over the years. The only problem that I have encountered, is that lately after around 30 seconds of use, it will start to mode hop.
They aren't anything special to look at, and they are fairly expensive, but after owning this one, I'd definitely buy another! :D

Pman

I don't remember what the laserbtb 150mW pens cost but I'm pretty sure they were under $100 easy. It's not much for the $50mW one that may be way overspec but you do have to pay something like $12 for shipping. Things could have changed though and they may not use the same driver or module anymore so I don't know what to say other than once again it's a risk assessment on whether to buy and also whether to try it with more voltage. I would definitely start with a couple of ultimate lithium first though and if there isn't an immediate increase then forget it.
Bow knows what he is talking about with first hand experience but it's up to him whether or not he wants to try any kind of upgraded battery with his opt or not and I would never push him to do anything he was uncomfortable with.
Just as his go to laser is a 532nm so is mine although I tend to use a few 50mW or less around the house when I feel like it. Just fried a flying ant (after killing it this time) with a 75mW adjustable focus 405nm pen that I keep around. It's all the fun I really need most of the time now.

Last edited:

Yes it's stupid to take apart a high quality product and mess with it and have it possibly break. I would never even think about taking this thing apart, let alone doing a pot mod, where it's possible to fry it instantly?? No thanks. I'll sell it to anyone, and if I do sell it to someone, please don't rip it apart :) There's a good chance you'll bust it in the process.

My very first laser was the Optotronics 150mW pen, which was purchased in 2012. It was metered by Jack at 159mW, and it still outputs 155~160mW today, nearly 4 years later.
This has probably been my most used laser over the years. The only problem that I have encountered, is that lately after around 30 seconds of use, it will start to mode hop.
They aren't anything special to look at, and they are fairly expensive, but after owning this one, I'd definitely buy another! :D

Yep. This exactly. They're great quality and I just don't give mine the attention it needs. Can't believe nobody has bought it yet!

Still, if anyone is interested and doesn't have the funds, PM me your best offer!!! The worst I can say is no!