Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Ok, yeah...but why?

Watts are power which would be total water flow (volume). You could change some of that power into other forms, like spinning a water wheel. The spinning wouldn't be the actual power though. Thats like measuring a laser at 1W then saying it takes 1W to run.

No, water flow, no matter what amount, is only analogous to current. It's the same way that a large amount of current flowing through a wire doesn't constitute power. Power is only delivered by the flow of water if the energy in that moving water is transferred to a resistance (e.g. a resistance like a turbine). Resistance to the flow of water requires more pressure to sustain that flow (analogous to voltage), which is why power is also a function of the potential across the resistance.

I'm sorry for de-railing the thread but...

That only works when the person has an understanding of basic plumbing principles though. Many times I have tried the water analogy only to have the student reply with "but how does water work?!".

It is a shame but most people in this world never once question how water comes out of their tap or what makes their lightbulb (or computer!) work.

I once met a guy who didn't understand why you put gasoline in your car tank but it never comes out of anywhere, and keeps needing more!

Can we all collectively agree to think through and maybe not post such world-shattering and depressing anectodes? Seriously, I mean, wow. I've met some stupid people through my education but...

On-topic, yeah I'm with Things here, water and plumbing analogies work really well. Doesn't matter if you don't really know plumbing, all you have to do is setup a scene and run the physics simulation in your head. It's what I always do when I wonder how will something turn out, will it work and how will it work.

Or am I the only one doing that?

I get what you're saying, Z. I was having a tough time visualizing the metaphor. I tend to think too literally, and had schematics running through my head...visualization wasn't coming to me at that time.

My background is in botany and horticulture, as well as some machining years ago. Electronics have always eluded me in the past, but now is the time learn new things!

As some background, I found a wonderful Electronic Circuits course online, and am committing myself to approaching like a university course and learn all I can.

The link to the site is [URL="http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/"]here[/URL] for anyone who wants to learn more.
Thanks to everyone BTW, +1 for all!

Of course, I don't expect everyone to think in the same way...

Basically what I was trying to say, try to find a method which works best for you in visualising the end result of a problem. Be it flowcharts, program code, imagining a conversation, simulation... whatever works for your way of thinking, that makes you able to conclude the result, piece by piece.

It's... exceedingly difficult to put it in words, apparently. But you get my point, I hope.

Also, don't forget, if all else fails, you can always shoot me a PM with some questions. I hope this thread cleared up the current (Hah!) confusion. Electronics can be like that, sometimes it apparently doesn't make any sense.

Thanks Z. You're the man! I'll try to figure out what I can without bothering you too much. I have always had a knack for finding some new field I didn't know about and having to learn.

I suppose it will keep the Alzheimer's at bay a little longer..

You're not seriously diagnosed with anything like that...right?

Don't worry, it's no bother.

No, I do not have Alzheimer's Disease. But, it does run in parts of my family. And, as we all know, and as exhibited by those in my family, those who keep learning new and novel things have a far less chance of developing it.

Brian,

If you run into any hiccups along the way, don't be afraid to just ask. This place doubles as a great way to begin learning about electronics, and anything electrical question is relevant to interest of the forum.

You can always PM me or some other members who are willing to help - since its apparent you actually want to learn something, PMing would not be a waste of another member's time as a result.

Have fun learning!

Tyler

Thanks Tyler. I am enjoying the CE course I am taking online. Though, I did skip it over the weekend; It was my daughter's birthday.

Things

It depends how you learn best IMO. I don't learn crap from slouching over a texbook and reading, I have to physically do something. I've been messing with electronics since I was 6, and it's great as now I can do circuit & PCB design no problems, purely from past experimenting and experience.

Unfortunately to actually get a job, you need a peice of paper saying you can do it, so I'm currently studying EE at uni. I hate theory :p

I'm jealous, Things! I'd give one of my legs to go to school for EE. Stupid US financial education system -_-.

Things

Heh, yeah, we're pretty lucky in that regard. On the other hand, I get to look forward to thousands of dollars being taken out of my first decent job (I think the threshold is over $30K/yr or something). It's bloody expensive :(

It depends how you learn best IMO. I don't learn crap from slouching over a texbook and reading, I have to physically do something. I've been messing with electronics since I was 6, and it's great as now I can do circuit & PCB design no problems, purely from past experimenting and experience.

Unfortunately to actually get a job, you need a peice of paper saying you can do it, so I'm currently studying EE at uni. I hate theory :p

Nah don't even worry about that. The theory is great to have when you save time and money in the end by building a working device, rather than building a device and then spend time trying to get it to work.

It should come to you easily since you have the advantage of hands on experience. Its abstract to some students, but not to someone like you!

I hear ya, gentlemen. If you ever want to see my specialties shine, come out to the prairie with me and bring a camera. I'm a State Master Naturalist, and a former 3rd generation photographer. Those are the things that I am expert about...CE will be added next!