Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Oh no Kipkay and lasers again

He makes lasers without drivers and if someone were to make one of his lasers it would not work for jack sheesh. Not only that he'll go blind and so will others because he uses no goggles in his videos, and people might think "Oh if kipkay did not go blind by a laser because he did not have goggles then that means I will be safe if I don't use goggles. Right?"

Last edited:

He makes lasers without drivers and if someone were to make one of his lasers it would not work for jack sheesh. Not only that he'll go blind and so will others because he uses no goggles in his videos, and people might think "Oh if kipkay did not go blind by a laser because he did not have goggles then that means I will be safe if I don't use goggles. Right?"

This is absolutly correct and the kids parents will think its a toy like the other little 1mW lasers they buy for them. If you show a kid the wrong way of doing something its hard to change them to do it properly.

I don't understand why everyone dislikes Kipkay so much. I understand he did not use proper safety precautions with the laser, and he doesn't use drivers, but even then, such a strong disliking towards him?
I've watched his videos for a long time now and he's made a lot of cool things, and lasers is just one of the many things he knows how to build. Of course it doesn't compete with most of the DIY builds from the average LPF user, but there's so much more more he can do than just lasers.

Could someone explain it to me? I've never understood for a long time now.

It's how he uses the ignorance of the audience. They know nothing of drivers etc. and they just think "ZOMG! So COOL! Wait till I show my friends!"

They don't realize he's getting paid for advertising referrals and views. They have no indication that there's better ways to do what he's showing.

The whole dynamic is just unsavory and people with more knowledge don't like it.

Think about a topic on which YOU are knowledgeable. And think about a time you saw that topic being reported on in the news by a general non-knowledgeable reporter. Did the exaggerations and omissions make you angry?

It's the same dynamic at work here. I find what he does and how he presents it to be distasteful, however I'm libertarian enough, and believe in "caveat emptor" enough that I don't get all wound up over Kipkay either.

I never liked kipkay anyways. Before joining LPF and getting more involved with lasers I did alot of research on lasers and found out this guy is just a liar. He tells people "OH THIS WILL WORK THIS IS SOOOOO COOL!" When first of all it doesn't even work and second there is no mentioning of laser safety at all in his videos. "OH KIDS BUY A LIGHTER THEN DO AS I SAY TO GET A CHEAPY LIGHTER LASER BURNER!" Well at least he mentions a driver but he just gives you a picture and he says just do this. I didn't even know how to make this when I first saw it. Another thing is he does not use safety goggles and that is a BIG issue when it comes to lasers that powerful. He bassically says "F*CK ALL THE SAFETY HAZARDS, KIDS, AND ANIMALS THAT GET BLIND BY THIS I JUST MADE MONEY OFF THOSE LITTLE BASTARDS!" I flagged his lighter video for other dangerous acts because he did not care about laser safety or even address laser safety at all in that video. If you want that video down I suggest everyone in the forum flags it for other dangerous acts.

It's how he uses the ignorance of the audience. They know nothing of drivers etc. and they just think "ZOMG! So COOL! Wait till I show my friends!"

They don't realize he's getting paid for advertising referrals and views. They have no indication that there's better ways to do what he's showing.

The whole dynamic is just unsavory and people with more knowledge don't like it.

Think about a topic on which YOU are knowledgeable. And think about a time you saw that topic being reported on in the news by a general non-knowledgeable reporter. Did the exaggerations and omissions make you angry?

It's the same dynamic at work here. I find what he does and how he presents it to be distasteful, however I'm libertarian enough, and believe in "caveat emptor" enough that I don't get all wound up over Kipkay either.
the medias reportings on the LHC really annoyed most people i know who do physics :D

Kipkay

This will be my last and final post on this thread.

1. I have safety warnings on ALL of my laser videos as annotations and also in the descriptions. I also have a verbal safety warning on the Cheapy Lighter Laser Lighter video.

2. No child or 'kid' has ever or will ever end up with a burning laser of any kind that I or a participating third-party have supplied to them.

3. As far as the two laser videos (out of six) that I have that do not use a driver for the diode, while it may not agree entirely with this forums standards for laser regulation, that's the way the videos were made. I will never do another laser video with an unregulated diode. Every person that has ever asked has been told it is recommended to use a driver.

4. You may not agree with what I show in a video, what I say or what I build but they are my videos and I can produce them with any style I like as can anyone else who makes videos.

5. While I have donated to this forum financially for the wealth of information here, I stopped referring people to come here for further technical assistance due to threads like this that are designed to not only discredit my videos but attack me personally.

With tha said, I'm sure this will not be the end of the hatred and disdain for me and my videos as there will always be people that find the time and enjoyment in that.

I hope that the users here can get back to discussing the 'hobby' that they so dearly love.

1. I have safety warnings on ALL of my laser videos as annotations and also in the descriptions. I also have a verbal safety warning on the Cheapy Lighter Laser Lighter video.

2. No child or 'kid' has ever or will ever end up with a burning laser of any kind that I or a participating third-party have supplied to them.

3. As far as the two laser videos (out of six) that I have that do not use a driver for the diode, while it may not agree entirely with this forums standards for laser regulation, that's the way the videos were made. I will never do another laser video with an unregulated diode. Every person that has ever asked has been told it is recommended to use a driver.

4. You may not agree with what I show in a video, what I say or what I build but they are my videos and I can produce them with any style I like as can anyone else who makes videos.

5. While I have donated to this forum financially for the wealth of information here, I stopped referring people to come here for further technical assistance due to threads like this that are designed to not only discredit my videos but attack me personally.

With tha said, I'm sure this will not be the end of the hatred and disdain for me and my videos as there will always be people that find the time and enjoyment in that.

I hope that the users here can get back to discussing the 'hobby' that they so dearly love.
Your misinformation and blindness (metaphorical one) is clearly showing.

Not only that your videos look like they are INTENDED for <12 year olds, because any older ones will figure out parts are missing and things will not work as shown, it's also the fact that you are still IGNORING POST #73!!!

Have a nice day. Or don't. Why do I care? You don't.

Morgan

Shouldn't any advert/link showing where to buy/view these products and videos be removed from this thread as SPAM? The first post below was blatant SPAM and the poster knew it but noone called it. I was surprised! Surely a google search for Kipkay would show this thread somewhere and could direct a poor uneducated person to buy this product? I am not comfortable being part of the problem in this way.

This would mean members kindly editing their subsequent quoted posts, (including this one), once the offending posts are removed.

No offense to those who inadvertently aided the cause.

Thanks,

M
:)

Sure. You can purchase a complete kit to build your own at LaserDIY.com. They are $99. I am giving away 5. You can also save 10% by using the Coupon Code: kipkay.

This?! <<<THIS PART

Kipkay you gotta be kidding me.

Please spare a moment to click the "6x laser" link in my signature under my post.
What you are looking at is a 200mW Bluray laser constructed off GGW laser diode, sled, with boost converter I made with LM3410X IC, in host that was provided by Bill.
My friend payed the diode $55 exactly.
I made the driver and the entire laser for $10.

Now, since I got the host for free, let's say that I needed to pay $30 to Bill to manufacture it.

That's $95, still cheaper than the "kit" ,

And since you (only one, presumably), have the first hand experience of these "150mW modules", would you please tell me , in seconds, the runtime of two button cells?

My laser uses 340mA at 4 V to boost 5V @ 190mA.

That's aproximately 5:50 hours of runtime on single battery charge, given that the cell is 2000mAh flat (says 2500 on it).
Completely focusable, and WELL HEATSINKED build for very long duty cycles.

That kit is anything but heatsinked and durable, not to mention nonfocusable, and I bet underpowered.

DIY lasers of this forum, this community I am proud to be a part of, unrarely surpass quality of very large portion of lasers which can be bought on lasers like your "laserDIY".

Can you see that you are wasting not only yours, but everybody's money who buys from that site?
Is that site funding you or what?

EDIT -
Hi Powered Blue Laser Diode 150mW
Ehh... PHRs are practically given for free these days, along with 1 Watt 445nm diodes which cost $35 these days... oops ...

I know you're not going to read this, but I'm posting it anyways. That's incredibly presumptuous thing to say as you can't predict the future.

So thats the problem you are taking it personal!!! If it was anyone else we would have done the same we are only trying to help its nothing personal after all that is one of the main reasons about using a forum !!HELP!!

You say that you will no longer tell people to come to this forum anymore Why? You scared they will find this thread and see the really person you are??? Also Just to let you know KipKay This is the highest Respected Forum for laser and iam proud of it.

I dont understand why you are taking it personal. Just remember that we are all nice people on this forum and alway try to take the extra step here to help people in need especially our veterans. We would not be posting in this thread and taking the time out if we dint Care!!!

If you cant get past your personal ego that it is so large that you will not listen Fine, but please dont say that we are targeting you because we dont like you personal, because its not about you at the end of the day its the millions that watch your videos that we are concerned about that do your laser projects and find out after a few minutes it dies, or even worse get hurt or loose an eye. With such power and inspiration you have with youtube i would have listened to the request here asked and honored them, after all its not like its bad information, its just to cover you if something will go wrong."Before somthing goes wrong" (Time will tell)

Just dont come on here like you are some big shot celebrity that is so popular that doesn't need help from anyone else but them selves because there ego is bigger then there gassed up head.

Its too bad that you are taking this personal as if and when something does happen dont say that we dint warn you about these issues. Its a Sham:tsk:

I Hope you learn your lesson and i pray its not when someone gets hurt doing your projects because they will be the ones that will suffer.

High Powered lasers are very dangerous and are not toys!!!

Running away from your problems will not help you. Solving them will. But you choose not to take our advice. Fine!!!

Have a good day !!!:mad:

Edit: Becareful what you say KipKay is giving out bad Reps. he just gave me a negative Rep. for this post and i dint even say anything Wrong. Your Negative rep Doesn't mean anything KipKay because who ever clicks on it will come to this thread and see my post that i said nothing wrong. You Did It On Purpose!!! Now everyone knows the real KipKay:mad:

Last edited:

TTerbo

hey kip how about letting me win one of those lasers and we shall decide?
and how about when you have laser giveawaysmaybe YOU should keep the glasses ei?

Well it looks like you just keep proving to the Members here that
you have no clue as to what is in your Videos or do you care about
Laser Safety issues in your Videos...

You must certainly be a MORON... If that was not the case... you
would not continually prove that we are correct with your Videos a
half truth posts...

Your rep points on this Forum should be made public outside of this
Forum so that everyone knows who you are and what you are really
about...:cool:

BTW... Showing how to point a loaded gun at someones head...
and verbally claiming not to do it is quite MORONIC don't you think...:thinking:

Jerry

Last edited:
dont worry about neg rep you wont lose anything hes way to negative to affect you.

Yea iam not worried its just the nerve that he did that.

But it doesn't mean anything coming from him in my eyes he did it on purposes

Your rep points on this Forum should be made public outside of this
Forum so that everyone knows who you are and what you are really
about...:cool:

Jerry

I agree with you his Rep should be shown outside this forum and this thread too. He needs a reality check!

Last edited:
Yea i am not worried its just the nerve that he did that.

But it doesn't mean anything coming from him in my eyes he did it on purposes

I agree with you his Rep should be shown outside this forum and this thread too. He needs a reality check!

ya i can see how that would be kind of annoying, but hes a loser no one cares about rep from him. BTW hes online searching this forum i went to his profile it says hes online, and the current activity is this thread. So he is reading all this.

Last edited: