Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

OH BOY, here we go! WL to start making LPM's??

This will be a waist of money as they will only read half way to there advertized limit :crackup:

the reading will be 20% over the actual power, otherwise all the customers be asking wtf my laser is so underspec, refund plz!

rhd

The WickedLaser LPM is going to put LaserBee out of business. Here's why -

From what I've heard, their design is revolutionary. They've developed a "sensorless meter". We tease WickedLasers from time to time, but they are true innovators. The LPM itself is portable. There's a dial on the LPM with a dozen or so positions corresponding to the various WickedLaser pointer models. For example - "Krypton 750mW" or "Core 100mW".

You set the dial to the correct WickedLaser model (ex. "Arctic 1W"), and then merely place the LPM on your desktop next to the WickedLaser product you're metering. I've heard that the response time is even faster than an Ophir sensor-based LPM. With your pointer model dialed in, you press a button labeled "Take Reading", and the display instantly lights up with your laser's output power - "1W"

Sounds pretty cool. I don't know how Jerry will compete.

Last edited:

From what I've heard, their design is revolutionary. They've developed a "sensorless meter". We tease WickedLasers from time to time, but they are true innovators. The LPM itself is portable. There's a dial on the LPM with a dozen or so positions corresponding to the various WickedLaser pointer models. For example - "Krypton 750mW" or "Core 100mW".

You set the dial to the correct WickedLaser model (ex. "Arctic 1W"), and then merely place the LPM on your desktop next to the WickedLaser product you're metering. I've heard that the response time is even faster than an Ophir sensor-based LPM. With your pointer model dialed in, you press a button labeled "Take Reading", and the display instantly lights up with your laser's output power - "1W"

This just made my day. +1 for you good sire

Must spread rep befoer giving to rhd ... yeah figures.

They are shooting themselves in the foot.

If the LPM is accurate, it'll show their lasers as underspec. (Granted, a lot of members are aware that Arctics are not truly 1W)
If it's showing more than actually measured, it's useless as LPM actually.

The only positive outcome is that they produce good LPMs and start making their laser's output to match, but that's quite a long shot, huh?

EDIT- Oh yeah, forgot about the opening post, which is roughly transcribed as "Hai, we would like to build LPMs, but don't know how. If you have any relevant information that would help us, let us know at [email adress]".

Last edited:
What does
Must spread rep befoer giving to rhd ... yeah figures.
mean?

On topic: I really don't understand how they could make a LPM while selling shitty under spec, over priced lasers. I wonder how overpriced this thing will be? Either way they have only 2 options.
1. Make a good LPM that gives on spec readings in which case people will realize that there lasers are overpriced garbage.
2. Make a LPM that gives readings that are 20% higher than the lasers actual output.
Considering what I've seen from WL I genuinely believe they would make a LPM that gives 20% higher readings. It's sounds like something even they wouldn't have the gall to do until you consider the fact that they would just include " +/- 20% " in the fine print to justify it. Thats essentially what they do with all there lasers when you think about it.

Last edited:
they asked if any body know's info on a lpm. Maybe laserbee should work with them for a good lpm so he doesn't go out of buisness and so the lpm's will be good.

I've gone back and forth a bit with Steve before in regards to having them build power meters but their requirements were so absolutely absurd for accuracy and build cost that I basically told them outright that it's not possible. I also had some chats with Kenom a while back and I believe they wanted him to build something equivalent to the Kenometer Pro (5 watt power meter with commercial Ophir thermopile and onscreen graphing) for something dumb like $15

Last edited:

You "set it down" next to the meter? Are you sure the "screen" won't actually just be a number printed on a sticker? lol

I guess you can just keep the laser off also then? This should save battery life! lol

Thermal sensor types don't stand a chance now... they all require that the laser is turn on.

rhd

There's probably a wise (but not necessarily ethical) business-case explanation for Wicked creating and selling an LPM:

1. Lots of LPMs out there now. Wicked probably gets frequent complaints about lasers metering underspec.

2. So, they produce an LPM, and adopt a policy of only replacing underspec lasers when the metering is done on their own model WickedLaser LPM, by a verified meter owner.

3. Of course, their LPM needs to be accurate (not falsify readings), otherwise this policy wouldn't alieviate any complaints. So, they make a moderately decent LPM.

4. And they keep track of who they sell them to.

5. They make money on the LPM, and they get a list of customers to prioritize on-spec lasers to. Meter owners get on-spec lasers, and don't complain. Everybody else gets luck of the draw just like they do now, but if they complain, Wicked can say "sorry, our policy is to only respond to verified readings taken by our Wicked-brand LPM". Win-win for Wicked.
Not ethical. Not honorable. But smart.

Last edited:
There's probably a wise (but not necessarily ethical) business-case explanation for Wicked creating and selling an LPM:

1. Lots of LPMs out there now. Wicked probably gets frequent complaints about lasers metering underspec.

2. So, they produce an LPM, and adopt a policy of only replacing underspec lasers when the metering is done on their own model WickedLaser LPM, by a verified meter owner.

3. Of course, their LPM needs to be accurate (not falsify readings), otherwise this policy wouldn't alieviate any complaints. So, they make a moderately decent LPM.

4. And they keep track of who they sell them to.

5. They make money on the LPM, and they get a list of customers to prioritize on-spec lasers to. Meter owners get on-spec lasers, and don't complain. Everybody else gets luck of the draw just like they do now, but if they complain, Wicked can say "sorry, our policy is to only respond to verified readings taken by our Wicked-brand LPM". Win-win for Wicked.
Not ethical. Not honorable. But smart.

Seems like something they would do. But I feel like someone will only buy a LPM if they already own a laser meaning the whole cherry picking tactic wouldn't work that well

ARG

:crackup::crackup::crackup:

That took me a while to realize the sarcasm ;)

Must spread more rep around :undecided: