Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Oculus Rift/HTC Vive / VR in general?

Re: Oculus Rift / Samsung Gear / VR in general?

Many cardboard apps are free. First get this cardboard app https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.samples.apps.cardboarddemo and install it.
Then install other apps, like this one to watch your movies for example: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=it.couchgames.apps.cardboardcinema

Cardboard will just show the concept of looking around and have a (mostly) immersive field of view. But it will likely not feel very comfortable for very long. The display refresh rate is low, and the head movement is not quite responsive enough. In the worse case you will feel motion sick. It helps to have a very powerful phone, but it wont come close to what Vive and Oculus can do.

The older version of samsung gear works with note 4... http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Gear-VR-Innovator-Edition/dp/B00QZLOFK4

I have the Note 5, 32gb, wasn't really planning to even upgrade, but it ended being more than free, for that version, and I find 32gb to be completely inadequate. IMO, the best phone samsung made to date was the S5.

Never tried google cardboard... based on reviews it falls far short of the GearVR experience, let alone oculus/htc. See if you can try the GearVR somewhere like best buy or something like that. I'm sure once Oculus and Vive, are actually released and shipping, in 6-9 months, we'll see places to try them.

There is free stuff you can view, lots of short films, there are now also quite a few 360x180 movies. My take on the GearVR/Carboard, is it's just a teaser, made mostly for passive consumption, like viewing 360 photos or movies, no so much for games, although there are a few free ones. Couple don't even require an additional android compatible controller.

Edit: Just about everyone I know has complained about some degree of motion sickness... best not to move your head around quickly. If you have no way to try the GearVR, google cardboard is definitely worth spending $15 on.

Last edited:

u4KIejL.gif

Just funny :p

Now imagine accidentally looking at the sun. Ded.

Just to show that I'm not just a straight up Vive fanboy; this is really cool:

No, but I did have a brick nokia variant for work at one point, AND a Razor :D

I see a wire, it that for aux power, or does it need to be connected to a PC? AR really should be self contained, much more important than VR.

Pman

Now that was funny:) My wife even thought it was.

It's a great product... best resolution I've ever seen!

Only problem is the main game character is stuck in a boring office job, and the cheat codes don't work.

Last edited:

Pman

Your killing me here:)
Time to watch the matrix again.
I'm stuck in bed trying not to take a lot more pain medication. My left side kidney pain has been so much worse than normal start in at least a week ago. Everytime i get up it bothers me too much to not have to lay down again. Hard to explain how bad it is. IM not saying to get anyone to feel sorry for me. Been dealing with it since 89 and it is kind of amazing that I can't get used to it. Having a hard time hiding it now from people. I don't think those glasses will help.
I think the real ones could do a world of good for someone with disabilities. I saw something not too long ago showin a grandma wearing them who had never been on a roller coaster and it was pretty cool. For someone paralyzed or missing limbs it could really be something other than just games.
Speaking of games, I am just terrible at anything to do with a controller. My mind just doesn't want to work that way anymore. I could play computer games if I wanted to I suppose but these days I'm not that interested because my main computer is too old to play anything new. Been putting off buying a new one for years now and I spend a lot of time on my phone as it's easier in bed.