Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

O-like Crystal

p1020545j.jpg

ok this is my first picture making 532 nm with susie crystal and output coupler
the output is very weak, but i just tried to align the crystal rapidly, and it worked just by moving the output coupler
But of course its VERYY difficult to have a maximal output, the position of the output coupler is critic !
sanstitregyq.jpg

Last edited:
Weak is very much better than nothing.. great work!! Now to find some mounts..

Having separate crystals like that will allow you to use more advanced cavity designs if you feel adventurous some day.

Hi

Im going to get some of these crystals too what power 808nm diode were u using ??

Nice work BTW

thanks electro !
Honnestly i had serious doubt about having one photon of green... you need to find the right aligment and the lights is yours !
i can improve the design of the setup, just placing the pump in front of the Nd:yvo4, find the correct orientation of ktp... it take huge lot of time but it's so fascinating.
lpf.jpg

the diode is a 9mm 2W pump at 840 mA and come from heruurscience or now "hesc photonic on ebay"
you can find chris selling 9mm diode for 35 $ at ebid :

http://fr.ebid.net/perl/auction.cgi?auction=15847602&mo=auction

Last edited:
AWESOME!!! I told you the moment you made green light, even if it is very little, you will be ecstatic.

VERY good job. I honestly cant believe you have it lasing at all with the way your OC is mounted :crackup:

but it works!!!

Congrats man!

A few tips... what was the ROC on that OC? 100mm? Try placing the OC and the vanadate exactly 50mm apart. Then, move the KTP until you get the most power. The reason is that the OC actually focuses the 1064nm light, meaning that the 1064nm light will focus to a pinpoint at some point in the cavity. You want the KTP to be within this pinpoint. As long as you are lasing (which you obviously are) try moving the ktp around a bit. It's position isn't super critical, and I bet if you move it forward a bit, closer to the OC, you will gain quite a bit of power.

Also, how much 808nm pump power do you have? Again, you want this 808nm light to be focused onto the vanadate for the most possible power.

great job!!! Your next challenge will be blue! It is basically the same setup, but you will need much more pump power (it usually has a threshold at about 1W) and you will need to mount and cool the YAG and the LBO.

Again, good job. This is truely what it means to build a DPSS laser from scratch. Now, get that stuff mounted up! You'll probably gain a bit of power just by mounting that Nd:YVO4, since the mount will cool the crystal.

:bowdown::bowdown:

that is amazing!! congrats man!!
im am super jealous cuz i know for sure i wouldnt be able to do that.
that is just somethin amazing!!
i cant freakin take my eyes off!!
but again congrats. =]
good job =D

thanks guy! i will follow your advice Gus, this day ! i estimate the pump power to be nearly below 700 mW, (current is 833 mA for a diode rated by chris at 1W@1.3A.
I use a poor aixiz lens to focuse the pump, but gonna place the pump just in front of the vanadate, like the low powered greenie. I will try to place the vanadate as your recommendation.
I had big luck because i didn't know wich face was coated ! so i placed the crystal by hazard, first try did'nt work, i rotated by 180° the vanadate and by displacing the OC, it lased !
I assure you guy that it's not the curse of power which are interesting, but the "magical" lasing of 532 nm when you move the OC ! just show that to your friend they will be amazed !

Some other picture : this time i put the vandate in front of the cmount diode. It's a "mid fried" diode, with a lot of death zone, but it works nicely. I will replace the cmount by a new one after this post.
I saw various TEM, and i also discovered that the KTP is both side coated (it work in any position). i got a strong (beam is visible in mid dark) beam (maybe in the 10/20mw range). I placed the OC and then i moved the KTP to find max output, and right, there is some location where the output is better as gooey say :beer:.
i also noticed a weak beam at some angle of the principal beam, interesting !
I run the setup during 20 minute with no degradation of performance, its very stable (at 10/20mw)
i will create a new thread in the green section, see you there !
p1020617s.jpg

p1020618b.jpg

p1020626v.jpg

i used some water fog for these beamshot picture
p1020632g.jpg

im losing a lot of IR, maybe i will use a fast collimation lens of Chris
p1020634y.jpg

p1020668r.jpg

p1020641r.jpg

the green is still present, but no fog to reveal it
p1020647a.jpg

p1020648f.jpg

p1020650e.jpg

p1020660q.jpg

you can see the other tiny beam above the first powerful one

at this point, IR is spraying everywhere. No point in putting a tiny little IR filter in front of the OC :D

another tip, experiment with placing the OC closer and further away. You should get to one point where you get substantially more green. Also, I know it may be a bit hard with your setup, but if you can get your beam centered on the OC, that is optimal.

i just saw on rp-photonic that the vanadate is also strongly dependent of polarisation of the pump, i have build a tec system, output is easier to find. Im gonna build a setup in which i can rotate the vanadate and the ktp, without lens (does high powered greenie have a lens in front of the LD?)

(does high powered greenie have a lens in front of the LD?)

usually yes, but not always.. It is very possible to get good results just by placing the vanadate as close to the diode as possible without touching. You could also just harvest the pump focusing lens from a cheap greenie, or use an ordinary collimating lens.