Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

NZONIC BDR-209 Build

My first build post, woohoo! :D I wanted to put together a 405nm 510 thread build, so of course I started at DTR's Laser Shop:

Parts List:
- Diode: BDR-209 16X $68
- Driver: NanoDrive
- Lens: G2
- Host: NZONIC Mech Mod $10
- Battery: Samsung 25R 18650 $16/2
- Heatsink: 22mm DTR heatsink $12
510 Adapter: 3D RDA $5

Host:
f8Mu7Hy.jpg

It's quite heavy and feels really well built. There is room enough for one 18650, or two 18350s. The button is a rear-firing magnetic momentary switch with a spin lock. And I liked how the etched lines match DTR's heatsink.

Laser Module:
qB3RjKu.jpg

This is the first time ordering from DTR, but I'm sure it won't be the last! Very nice work on all of the pieces. The assembled driver module fit almost perfectly with the heatsink, but I found I needed to loosen the lower shielding about 1/4 turn to have the two pieces align enough to slide in.

I'm assuming this is one of those fixed to 520mA, which should result in a beam power of ~860mW.

Heatsink:
SQQPw2F.jpg

Adapter:
ms3RNnD.jpg

Harvested off of this 3D rebuildable atomizer.

NrPPjTF.jpg

It took one good whack with a rubber mallet to knock out the center pin of the adapter.

DshS7Eg.jpg

The old "pinch the wire" trick wasn't working for me, as the spring-loaded pin was causing the wire to make contact with the outside wall, causing a short. So I resorted to soldering it on. Immediately after taking this picture I realized I forgot to thread the wire through the adapter before soldering the pin on, so I had to de-solder it and do it again. :p And unfortunately, the adapter's threading was a little bigger in diameter than the heatsink's threading, but a few turns of Teflon tape fixed that. :)

tJo9KKf.jpg

The finished laser module and accompanying mech mod.

zpagivV.jpg

The assembled laser.

Ke4Vm5z.jpg

The focused beam burns very quickly and looks great!

Well, that's it. Thanks for reading, I hope you enjoyed!
:beer:

[edit]
Measurements
I just received my Hyperion Cuprum, so I have some measurements for this laser available now as well. (Thanks Astralist!)

RuuBk8U.jpg

The meter topped out at 601.861 mW.

I captured a video of the process as well:

Last edited:

BobMc

Excellent read. Congrats on your first build. :gj: feels great afterwords doesn't it? I Remember mine. I showed everybody in the house, twice :D. Don't worry about the little mistakes we all make them, and will probably make more in the future. Great looking host. Nice beam shot also. Bet that's a great little burner! Really like that host, good choice. Enjoy that puppie. And be safe :)

Last edited:

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Nice looking build alpha, it's good to see some of these mech mod/DTR 22mm adapter builds still coming out now and then.
One thing you may want to do though is re-size your pics to about 800 max width; the guys on their phones are going to be doing a lot of scrolling!
:gj: +rep!

PS - Love your avatar, glad to see your dog is playing it safe! :cool:

Last edited:
Reactions: GSS
Hi, Nice job pal one question why did you apply Arctic Alumina to the base threads?? It is not needed for future reference. Anywho like your choice of WL 405's can't be beat they are a very powerful 3.8mm diode and real burners .. Your first build is awesome congrats buddy well done..

Rich:)

Last edited:
Thanks for the comments guys! :thanks:

@BowtieGuy: Good point on the image size. I resized them for easier mobile viewing.
@Lifetime17: Thanks man! I think you may have mistaken the Teflon tape for thermal compound though, as there was none used in this build. :thinking:

Now to decide what to build next...

Hi,
Ok it looked like it but you really don't need it. I built plenty of the 510 builds never used it..

Rich:)

Nicely done! A year and a bit into lasers and I still haven't got my hands on a 405nm laser with decent power. The actual wavelength is really interesting though. Good job on the build! :D

@Antharak: Thanks!

@ElectricPlasma: Thanks! And what's your favorite wavelength that you own? I'm thinking about putting together a green one.

@ElectricPlasma: Thanks! And what's your favorite wavelength that you own? I'm thinking about putting together a green one.

My pleasure, I loved green at first, but I found it was getting pretty expensive for what you get. As soon as I got my hands on my 07E that became my new favourite wavelength (465nm). It's the best of both worlds, packs a lot of power and is very bright & visible. Also not to mention my favourite colour!

Awesome, very nice I have a very similar looking mec mod, you do know that that 510 adapter is the older version and he has a nicer version with a top cap for adjusting the lens,

Also it would look even nicer not extended with a 16340-18350 battery. Don't u think!

Attachments

• 1485380112.6046.jpg
    1485380112.6046.jpg
    365.6 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:
Oh, nice! Yeah, that one does look pretty similar. I knew that the heatsinks were the v1 ones, but I didn't know DTR had any more of the new ones -- I didn't see them for sale on his website. I actually don't mind the extender though; I kinda like the extra length.

Awesome job m8 kewl pics too. I built a micro BDR 209 and have yet to put it in my signature because im going to make a balloon popping video with it before i do lol rumor has it that it can pop 100 in a row in a few seconds

Last edited:
:bumpit:

Not sure, if it's good practice to bump for updates or not, and if not, my apologies.

But I updated the main post with LPM measurements. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Nice work, great photo's and update :)

Last edited: