Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

NUBM44.......Share your Ideas, concepts, videos, builds and more.

Hi Red,
Nice can't wait to seat when it's finished, those BE are great reach out and touch some thing far with pin point accuracy . I'm thinking about the 3x that sawn puts out for some of my lower power builds at only $60.00..

Rich:)

This was 137.00 with fast DHL shipping, the only reason to go 3x is if the beam diverges rapidly so it won't get clipped if the input beam diameter is already large.

But that 10x is designed to work close to the G2 and is short so internal expansion length is limited, it will work well with our diodes.

I think podo's 3x should work well too, I will probably get it also, but 10x :D I like that.

In time I will find the perfect setting for each type of diode, or as close as I can get.

I have a 75 foot/25 meter range I can test on from my back window to corner of my fence, I will see what I can get there as well.

Milos could probably get a very good result with his set up if he added the 10x.

http://laserpointerforums.com/f49/o...ses-nubm44-beam-correction-tests-96445-2.html

Hi Red,
I agree you can't beat the10x for the price and what it will do , i'll be getting another. Still i'm interested in polo's 3x out of curiosity and for the price. it's great to see what these can do to improve divergence on a particular diode. That another reason i want to see what Podo's BE will do

Yes I am interested in the range of adjustment on that 3X, I expect the 10x will have a wide enough range.

With my zoom lens I just slide it foreword and back and the natural extreme divergence of our MM diodes acts as the expansion and the 2 element acts as a large 3 element lens, but that will not work after cylindrical correction.

But as long as the distance between the double concave and convex inside the expander is adjustable then I can expand a diverging beam or a converging beam, also 10X gives me a wider range by it's nature.

But I almost bought a 3x and likely will.

If you would post some details about it if you get one, I have seen others and a pic of it doing it's thing, but not a single video or any range specs on a given diode, so I feel better with the 10x as my beam is already half way fixed, well improved by 6x on the highly divergent axis, so I will just try it and see. It's visible where the 10x adjusts but I will try a 3x later as well, I kike the things SANWU is doing, maybe he will make more expanders, I will buy several if they work well. :beer:

Capture_05072016_130834_zpsitn2ruvh.png

Now I see where the 3X is adjustable but the input diameter looks a bit tight for my corrected beam, but I will try it and see, I wish people would give more specs in their reviews. I love to see new items available and am planning to get one soon. The 10x was out of stock before, I had wanted it before, and yes I should have bought 2, oh well, got to keep murphy at bay.

Capture_05072016_135124_zpsjeyfqulc.png

Last edited:
Hi Red, I'll order 2 BE from PODO tomorrow along with 2 adapters he sells to mod to fit a M9 x 0.5mm adapter for our lenses.Hey it all about if you don't try it you'll never know so i'll wing it.. I would like to test these out on some of my single modes ..

Podo really has picked up the ball and run with it, I bet that setup would be nice on a NUBM06 with a G7 and that 3x, even some Teflon tape could be used to seal the install.....sigh, well 1 thing at a time, I want to combine 2 corrected 44's and hopefully employ that 10 expander, could be epic.

Please do post your results, and remind everyone to be careful, tightening the divergence extends the range and means we all have to be forever careful where our beams go, just like bullets KNOW YOUR BACKSTOP.
Cheers :beer:

-----------------------------------------------------------edit------------------------------------------------------

Looking at the output lens diameter of the 10x BE is shows 36mm and my input beam is 7mm in a flat ribbon, I may need to re align a pair for no more than 3.5mm output beam width even if it means giving up some to gain more, you would think a more powerful convex cyl could pick up the diverging beam from the concave closer to where it starts spreading. Althogh I do run negative from my aperture beam diameter to 6-8 feet reaching about 75% spot size, hopefully this will negate clipping, if not I may need t go with a 3x correction to use this 10x expander with it's 36mm objective/output lens.

I will try it and see and adjust as necessary.

51326d1462664743-post-your-random-pics-sany0867.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------edit------------------------------------------------------

Hi Red, I'll order 2 BE from PODO tomorrow along with 2 adapters he sells to mod to fit a M9 x 0.5mm adapter for our lenses.Hey it all about if you don't try it you'll never know so i'll wing it.. I would like to test these out on some of my single modes ..

Where does he list those adaptors, I want to try one as well?
Is that the same as the saber adaptor? Ok I see it is, I think I can just cut my own threads, thanks.

-----------------------------------------------------------edit-----------------------------------------------

I found them and ordered the adaptor too, these should be fun, and the expanders will seal my lens cavity from smoke and dust, two issues solved at once. :D :beer:

--------------------------------------------------------edit---------------------------------------------------

Update: While waiting for my expanders I have been doing much testing and burnt some smoke or particulate onto my G2 on this latest build as it is the least air flow limited as far as it's optics cavity.

So I tore the unit down and rebuilt it with a SANWU G2 and it fits really tight with the 9mm lens spring letting me re adjust it, so it is possible to set your lenses up and leave the G2 adjustable so long as the spring is tight and podo's G2 seems to have minimal lens thread slack side to side.

But DTR's G2 is cleaner as far as it's output, but you will have to manually tweak side to side lens thread play if you leave it adjustable.

I still like DTR G2 the best, but this has been fun to experiment with, and it burns like a little blow torch.

Yes it's nice to do a good job on an aesthetically pleasing build, but a crude yet functional test bed that's fun to knock around and experiment with is a lot of fun as well.

p.s. The UV curing glue makes resetting lens position easy, just attach them to a base so you can crack the base loose without hurting the lenses.

Attachments

• SANY0912.JPG
    SANY0912.JPG
    178.4 KB · Views: 102
  • SANY0954.JPG
    SANY0954.JPG
    191.8 KB · Views: 114
  • SANY0959.JPG
    SANY0959.JPG
    200.4 KB · Views: 124
  • SANY0961.JPG
    SANY0961.JPG
    201.2 KB · Views: 865
  • SANY0907.JPG
    SANY0907.JPG
    177 KB · Views: 107
  • SANY0898.JPG
    SANY0898.JPG
    174.8 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:
I went ahead and mounted a SANWU 3x Beam Expander on my NUBM44 with 6x pair build that was a test bed to see if I could leave the G2 adjustable, this one actually has SANWU's G2 and 3X expander and even with some junk on the diode's can window "Not in the center" it still pops out a mean crackeling open flame on wood at 14 feet, usually this takes 2 corrected 44's and no other diodes have been able to do this.

Sanwu's 3X Beam Expander is a WINNER, it has a light AR coating for all colors and feels smooth with a spring for constant tension, it's a nice little expander and it works.

I can't do my 32 foot shirt test today as it's raining, but I have another 3X ordered and I will put it on the same laser I used before and see what happens. :eg:

I know this is an ugly testbed of a build, but I made it so I could re adjust the G2 by removing the top and cobbled on to it.

I ordered another 3X for one of my other corrected 44's and will likely use one on my double combined pair of 44's, think it will take 12 watts?
I bet it will.

PP sent Podo, Thanks, I will buy more later too, these are good expanders. :paypal:

51527d1463766675-nubm44-share-your-ideas-concepts-videos-builds-more-sany1055.jpg

51548d1463791583-nubm44-share-your-ideas-concepts-videos-builds-more-sany1061.jpg

Attachments

• SANY1055.JPG
    SANY1055.JPG
    189.2 KB · Views: 299
  • SANY1061.JPG
    SANY1061.JPG
    197.7 KB · Views: 267
Last edited:
Hi Red,
Awesome build glad to see the BE and adapter worked out for you. Hey adapt and modify i say cool..
Man that thing looks like one the 7 steam boilers were i work LOL !!

Thanks Lifetime and I enjoy all the comments, the best yet is it looks like a moped muffler...LOL, It really does. :crackup:

I know some here build really beautiful devices and I hope to do so also, but for now I just want to play on the cheap and build it to stand up to my abuse.

Some purest may say that I have made a hunk of junk, but I am not building a piano here, I'm the guy with a 1000cc motorcycle engine on my go cart, I just want it to work and take a beating, pretty will come later when all the kinks are worked out. :beer:

EVERYONE PLEASE ALWAYS PROTECT YOUR EYES, LASER SAFETY GLASSES ARE A MUST.

Last edited:
That is awesome Red "wow" I bet it's a lot of fun burning at that distance,
Have you LPMd this laser as is.
Bluddy awesome nice work!

Thanks triple b, and yes it's a lot of fun. I don't have a LPM, I do need to get one but I keep putting it off because I need one that can read 100w for future projects. Everyone that bought 1w, 2w, 3w then 5w meters now need bigger ones.

The power is there, even with my OD6 glasses the orange spot when focused through SANWU's nice expander is super bright orange and as I said, you can tell the power is there, everything burns, pops and is cut or reduced to ashes, it is a lot of fun. :beer:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

P.S. These 3X expanders work well with nothing more than a G7 lens and you can use SANWU's adaptor.

51652d1464290271-nubm44-share-your-ideas-concepts-videos-builds-more-sany1021.jpg

Attachments

• SANY1021.JPG
    SANY1021.JPG
    169.6 KB · Views: 223
Last edited:
Hi,
I've had a back up nubm44 for months now and have one coming from member ABarnett so I decided to do a build with my backup. I also have an sxd 4amp driver and an attack head flashlight. (Previously had a nbd7875 in flashlight I stupidly killed by putting two batteries in when it was a boost driver) got it all put together and it didn't work! (Man that's a bad feeling when an expensive diodes involved) Checked everything out and the side click switch isn't working. I have a replacement on the way from China so it'll be a few weeks before I can use this one.
Thanks for looking

What's in it:
Nubm 44 445nm (ebay)
Sxd 4 amp driver (DTR)
35mm cu module (DTR)
Cree attack head flashlight (ebay)
3 element lens (existotem)
Extended length focus adaptor (Survival Laser)
Efest 18350 batteries (ebay)

Attachments

• 2016-06-15 10.46.22.jpg
    2016-06-15 10.46.22.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 59
  • 2016-06-15 10.36.41.jpg
    2016-06-15 10.36.41.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 106
  • 2016-06-15 10.36.04.jpg
    2016-06-15 10.36.04.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 98
Hi ,
Here's some sharing folks..

Attachments

• IMG_1857.JPG
    IMG_1857.JPG
    196.9 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_1864.JPG
    IMG_1864.JPG
    169.3 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_1868.JPG
    IMG_1868.JPG
    191.3 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_1877.JPG
    IMG_1877.JPG
    198.8 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_1884.JPG
    IMG_1884.JPG
    189.5 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_1887.JPG
    IMG_1887.JPG
    181.2 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:

GSS

I'm in my 1 week rookie period with my first num44. So I don't have any knowledge to add. It sure is a tricky one though.
For now I just can't decide between simply a G2 or the 3 element. The 3 element will kinda give me a roundish dot at say 6 ft. but at a cost of at 3/8 in. wide.
Unless iv'e missed it how's a G7 with this diode? With no expander.

Last edited:
Hi GSS,
The g7 is roughly the same as the g2 on my 44 builds as far as the line. I prefer the 3element. I haven't noticed the 3ele getting hot in my builds as I have seen others post. May be a matter of how clean it is. I do occasionally put a g2 in mine for up close (6") burning as it is noticeably stronger. Debris has burned into a 3ele lens I had so keep them clean