Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

NUBM41T1 interior break down

Podo

This is the 30W+ blue array diode that selling in Techhood which styropyro mentioned about:

QQ20150425150830_zpsrmdmk6ff.jpg

QQ20150425150839_zpspxcmogro.jpg

QQ20150425150836_zps09k935c9.jpg

Here is what the diode look like if it removed from the array, each single one is capable of 3.6W of 455nm.

QQ20150425152215_zpsymie7bqd.jpg

QQ20150425152212_zpsghtmz8ux.jpg

QQ20150425152208_zpsddcs6x4h.jpg

QQ20150425152204_zpsyn3gtetn.jpg

Sanwu will test it or me as I will get at least a single diode later.

Last edited:

rhd

How do you open the array?

If it's openable, I'll open mine.

So are they just glued in or what? Also, what package is that? Looks a bit smaller than the 9mm's, but it's hard to tell. Is that metal can easily removable?

Edit: nevermind, I see they fit perfectly in a 9mm diode tray.

Last edited:

Podo

Down to this moment, I am not sure if those diodes are removed from the array or not. I will ask them where to get these first.

joeyss

Wait guys if you run the whole array can you use a big Fresnel lens and get it down to a single point like the with the sun?

I'm guessing no? unless you angled the diodes?

Subbing to this thread for updates! I'll be buying one of these arrays soon...

DTR

They are definitely updating them as they go. This is the third generation of the block and each one is getting harder. The last was the best with the diodes coming out nice an clean like in the OP but the one I got today they were damn near welded to the frame. But I got them out and a few of them mounted up. The top cap with lens comes off real easy with just a little pressure and is nice an clean not welded on like normal cans. If we could only find 9mm cans anywhere and add them to these diodes so we don't have to mount them open can style.
0uUsxC.jpg

HHAyEe.jpg

Last edited:
Howd you get the array apart? Force, or a Dremel?
Also, have you done any testing open the lenses? Seems everyone cares about the diodes only, I'd be interested in seeing if the lenses are usable.

You going to have these diodes for sale?

Last edited:

rhd

They are definitely updating them as they go. This is the third generation of the block and each one is getting harder. The last was the best with the diodes coming out nice an clean like in the OP but the one I got today they were damn near welded to the frame. But I got them out and a few of them mounted up. The top cap with lens comes off real easy with just a little pressure and is nice an clean not welded on like normal cans. If we could only find 9mm cans anywhere and add them to these diodes so we don't have to mount them open can style.
0uUsxC.jpg

HHAyEe.jpg

Any chance you can scrape a tad of the weld material onto the tip of a soldering iron to see if it melts at solder temperatures? If so, we could probably use a toaster oven to desolder the diodes.

DTR

Howd you get the array apart? Force, or a Drexel?
Also, have you done any testing open the lenses? Seems everyone cares about the diodes only, I'd be interested in seeing if the lenses are usable.

You going to have these diodes for sale?

Yea I use a cutting wheel. I have tried and can't seem to get the lens out without it cracking but they are probably decent lenses from what I can tell.

Yea I have a couple that are not spoken for shoot me a PM if you want one.:)

Any chance you can scrape a tad of the weld material onto the tip of a soldering iron to see if it melts at solder temperatures? If so, we could probably use a toaster oven to desolder the diodes.

Yea I will check that.:beer:

Said process would also desolder the die, no?

That's a good point. You're probably correct.

Still worth seeing if they can be desoldered though. You would have to be quick and careful though.

@DTR- have you tried letting the whole lens barrel sit in some isopropyl alcohol?

Todays diode dies are not bonded with just indium. They are welded on with some High temp Stuff.( I Dont know exactly what the metal composition are but its not just pure indium anymore. I think its some mix of Nickel and other stuff)

The diodes that still use pure Indium to mount the dies are typically the cheap C-mount 808nm/650nm/635nm etc diodes. Also some 9mm 808nm diodes also still use indium that you see are like this:
P6080026_zps3jszsvqv.jpg

and or 808nm TO-5 diodes that have this style of a mount is sometimes still used with indium:
$%28KGrHqFHJEIFENq%293sLnBRFWnFvzjQ~~60_35.JPG

Also of course there are the older diodes from the 90's that used just indium. Things have changed since then though. It is very hard to find todays diodes in 5.6mm,3.8mm,9mm etc that use indium only.

You can kinda tell if they are indium mounted or not if you look and see how the metal has reflowed around the die. Usually if its indium it has reflowed far past out away from the die.

The 9mm blue diodes of today will not desolder at the low temp of 160C which is where pure indium melt. Ive tried it in a project that i had tried to do and failed because i had to hit the diode with a torch to remove the die.LOL:crackup: (It was a dead diode i tried it on first):whistle:

The amount of heat the is required to break the weld to remove the die is so high that its impossible to do without damaging the die on a hobbyist level. The dies are welded at the manufacture in a quick burst (Micro seconds or even faster)and thats how they can get away with it. I have a video somewhere on it i will try to find it.:)

So if this metal bond around the diode that is holding the diodes in place in that large array copper mount is pure indium then you should not have any issue with a toaster. However i suggest you use a Hot plate instead. Just note that the Indium when melted will become solder like and make the back of the diode or where ever it reflows to bumpy from the indium wanting to gather together like a solder ball/bump.

This stuff around the diode that is holding it in looks to be indium to me.

However, It also looks like something else. Its so nicely bonded to everything it looks like they might of used nano foil to do the bond. Which works different and is a different metal Aluminum and Nickel. If thats the case it will be much hard to remove and melt and deal with if you can re melt it. (Goggle nano foil. There is videos out and its pretty interesting. I worked with some of this stuff about a year ago.Its Great.

As another Note. If its indium you can also use Cooling to break the bond. But you would need to get to ~40C that might make the indium brittle. (I had this happen to me where i had a TEC mounted with indium to a copper block and the bond when chilled to ~30C failed and came loose) That might be another option. No garantee but its an idea.

djQUAN

If they will get desoldered during removal of the diode from the array base, then I think it would already have desoldered already during manufacture? :)