Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Nichia begins sample shipments of green semiconductor lasers

I refuse, just reading anything typed by him makes me feel retarded myself!

That is practically the same as 532nm. Wait til casio buys these for their projectors :D The green laser will rise from the ashes and become instantly "in" again!

Last edited:
I can't remember where, but I thought I read it was at 531nm. :thinking:

If I find it, I'll edit this with the link...

EDIT: This thread at LPF was from over a year a ago and mentions this. @514nm for the Nichia; the 531nm was in big bold green leters, thats why I remembered it, LOL..

http://laserpointerforums.com/f44/big-news-green-laser-diodes-42018.html

Yeah, I haven't read anyone else reporting such a high number. But you don't even need that high anyway: look at the CIE diagram for color perception, you don't want a 532nm green, you want something like 520-ish green for displays anyway. 532 has been used because that's what we could make cheaply with DPSS, but ideal would actually likely be closer to 520. I don't anticipate display companies putting 532nm diodes in their displays when 520 would produce more colors AND is easier to make anyway.

And Nichia's stuff has some definite pluses, and some definite minuses, over Sumitomo's stuff. Sumitomo's green diodes are on semi-polar GaN while Nichia has only published results on polar GaN. Big difference, and it'll be very interesting to see what happens in the future with the different technologies becoming available.

Hmmm... look at all the gold wires connecting the dye. I think that might mean they are very inefficient. Usually diodes have more of those connections when they need to run at a higher wattage. Also 60 degs C is really hot for a 50mW diode. I bet the mW/mA slope is very low. That's not desirable if it's to be used in a portable projector. Nor is 50mW all that much for a projector. I think it's cool but as it stands I doubt it will match the beam quality of DPSS, at least not for pointer purposes.

-Tony

Update, after some research:

-Looks like the laser is 510nm, which Nichia says is 'green enough' (and honestly, judging by my 515nm ArIon, it probably is.)
-The August 2010 shipments will only be sample quantity
-Volume production starts in Summer 2011.

http://www.picoprojector-info.com/n...ojectors-august-volume-production-summer-2011

Starting at 50mW isn't bad; though realistically, from "sample" to "available", I bet we won't see these in our capacity for another few years or so... I hope I'm wrong. But look at the announcement-to-ubiquity of 405's, then how long we *knew* about 'true blues' until the projector 'breakthrough'... Hopefully they'll hit market and be available before they change away from the metal can format, too. Picoprojectors require a small and solid package, hopefully the TO- can format is small enough.

So maybe - volume production next year, and about 6mos to a year after that until ubiquity and they're down to the price where we'll actually see DIY builds from picoprojector harvests?

Last edited:
Hmmm... look at all the gold wires connecting the dye. I think that might mean they are very inefficient. Usually diodes have more of those connections when they need to run at a higher wattage

If you're referring to the picture in my signature, that's not a green diode, it's an LED'd c-mount IR. Maybe I should add that next to the image :crackup:

If you're referring to the picture in my signature, that's not a green diode, it's an LED'd c-mount IR. Maybe I should add that next to the image :crackup:

Ohhh! Haha! OK my bad. I though that was the green diode. It's really late. :p

-Tony

Are there ever going to be yellow and/or orange diodes? Or are they only going to make diodes up to 555nm?

Maybe in the distant future but I would love to see some 555nm diodes those will be the brightest diodes ever.

BUT, what will happen to sony's 6 watt green projector? Now we will be stuck with crappy diode bars, instead of nice dpss beams.

I prefer diodes over dpss. Diodes are much more stable.
DPSS is affected by temperature changes and being that I'm in phoenix, the temperature in the winter time can get near freezing in fact a couple of years ago it snowed for about 5 minutes then started to hail and right now in the summer time, it gets to 120 degrees.
So I agree I prefer diode over DPSS.