Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Newcomer seeking direction

Anslem: That is really what I expect mine to look like. I don't really want my first one to be a flashy torch or pen style, I want simple and can get the job done haha.

Leodahsan: I think I'm going to stick with the blu ray because it seems to be the easiest to do and there are many different sources of instruction that I have seen that work for me so far. But I have a question: can the heatsink be as easy as wrapping aluminum foil around the module, or even a coil of copper wire?

Bobhaha: So basically what you are saying is that the diode and the driver that I have listed above on the first post requires 6V from batteries. And for future reference, the voltage required from the batteries to drive a driver (or is it just the rckstr driver?) needs to be double to voltage across the driver?

if you only want to get the job done, get a playing cards' plastic box (from $1 stores). Use something hot to make holes on it, and fix the aixiz module + button with hotglue :) the circuit + battery inside.

aluminium foil will not do it, don't try :( a coil of copper wire I never tried, but I would not risk.

to power the drive (if you are using LM317 driver) a 9V battery will do it. dunno about rkcstr.

trowe2

Well what does work. And I like the card explaination, that shows how much I'm concerned about a host haha.

welll a host is just something to hold your components in
if you want something simple you can just go with a project box Project boxes - Component parts - RadioShack.com

it will look something like this YouTube - HTD 650nm 430mA Red Laser lighting 4 matches

and for heatsink you can get a "square" formed heatsink or just something that can stand on its own in the project box like this Lab style heatsink for 12mm laser modules - $20.99 : Modwerx Shop
or http://laserpointerforums.com/f64/fs-hexagon-heatsinks-your-projects-22648.html
:):)
oh and you will probably need a "dummy" load to set the current on the driver :)
hope this helps

trowe2

I like the one from modwerx shop! so that one will hold a aixiz module?

also, is there any way to set the current on a driver without a dummy load? I thought maybe I could connect the driver to the diode and it work right away?

trowe2

So its a linear driver, which means the current it provides cannot be changed. And buying a driver (it looks quite a bit smaller than the rckstr) that is preset will guarantee that it won't kill my diode and start working immediately.

And the capacitor still has to be discharged right? and this is done by taking two wires and completing the short circuit across it?

I've learned A TON! thank you all so much. I hope to begin building with what I've learning in 2 weeks!

the current can be changed...
idk the exact explanation of a linear driver but i do know the rkcstr driver is linear too :p
and takes up to 12v ( read the first part of the manual , and the current setting section will help to )
but i was just saying you can get it preset lol :p so you dont have to set it yourself which is easier
so ya you just connect it to the diode then :)
and a 6v power source (2 * c123a) will do
i think if you choose preset current ,the one preseting it will short the diode "pads" when hes done.. (not sure ) and yeah just solder a piece of stripped wire across the pads to short it.. (if im correct)

and setting the current yourself isnt THAT hard (doesnt look like it anyways :p "never done it before cause im planning my first build too")
u can learn something hear http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oenqvp44e9k&feature=related

Last edited:

trowe2

Wow, thanks for the circuit diagram. I'll build one and save it for later. But I think I may go with the preset for my first build.

Is it an absolutely terrible idea to skip the test load step? What are the odds that it will break my diode if i don't use a dummy and just hook up a normal rckstr?

uh well you have to set the current at some amount (mA ) for the mW u want your diode to "have"
well thats what you need your dummy lload for :/ just for the amount of power u want
so if u dont set it the driver will probably be at a low mA which means u wont have that much power ...(which is boring :) ) or it could be at a higher current and can kill the diode (dont know for sure)

anselm

.... or it could be at a higher current and can kill the diode (dont know for sure)
CAN and WILL! ;)
Instead of a dummy load, you COULD also just use a DMM in current test mode,
but it might not be as accurate.

trowe2

Okay awesome! Thanks for letting me know. I'm going to build that dummy load and save it for a later date, but use a driver that is preset for my first build.

I have learned a lot. Thanks again to everyone for explaining everything so well!