Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

new warning on dx about laser shipping..

i think someone should figure out who makes the lasers everyone wants and go directly to the source.

no middle man needed!

otherwise whatever. dx had great deals and the time for that is now over.

we move on and find the next best deal and become happy with that.

dx still has great flashlight hosts and random goodies you can still buy so its not like all is lost!

all of the 5mw true greenies are sold out =[ right when I was going to buy one...

I have a 70mw red module i've had on order since mid june :'(

I guess I'll have to ask them for a refund then :-/ ( I really only wanted the heatsink)

I finally received mine  :D
Ordered 7-14-08
shipped 8-13-08
delivered 8-20-08
I may have "the Last American Dilda".

If the new DX warning was posted 8-18-08, then any shipped before then should make it here.

I think we're mainly concerned about being able to purchase decent, cheap 532nM lasers,
maybe DX will decide it is profitable to sell "parts" that may not fall under FDA regs.

moond0ggie said:
I ordered one on the 4th with DX points and it got shipped, I don't have it yet but I think mine will be one of the last American dildas. That is, unless someone proves they ordered one later. ;D

styropyro said:
[quote author=moond0ggie link=1219120905/60#68 date=1219285355]
I ordered one on the 4th with DX points and it got shipped, I don't have it yet but I think mine will be one of the last American dildas. That is, unless someone proves they ordered one later. ;D[/quote]
We should have that engraved on it by a trophy shop!

moond0ggie said:
[quote author=styropyro link=1219120905/60#70 date=1219287359][quote author=moond0ggie link=1219120905/60#68 date=1219285355]
I ordered one on the 4th with DX points and it got shipped, I don't have it yet but I think mine will be one of the last American dildas. That is, unless someone proves they ordered one later. ;D[/quote]
We should have that engraved on it by a trophy shop![/quote]
how about having someone LASER engrave it??!!
haha... couldn't resist

I was wondering about the laws. I've looked them up on the FDA's site and found no direct answer to what I want to know: is it illegal, under all circumstances, for a member of the general public to possess any kind of laser with an output greater than 5 mW?

-Mark

rocketparrotlet said:
I was wondering about the laws.  I've looked them up on the FDA's site and found no direct answer to what I want to know: is it illegal, under all circumstances, for a member of the general public to possess any kind of laser with an output greater than 5 mW?

-Mark

No. It is legal to posses any laser as long as it has the correct safety features, and is used lawfully. Anything over 5mW needs an emission delay, shutter, interlock, key, things like that. I cant remember the specifics. Also, if I understand the law correctly, anything over 5mW is not supposed to be used outside without a permit.

pullbangdead said:
[quote author=mikeeey link=1219120905/40#52 date=1219208149]so we may have to create a new section of the forum for DX orders, similar to a group buy. The lasers are sent to someone in Canada, then sent off to someone in the US. Would this work?

mikeeey said:
or they could do something creative such as putting the entire laser inside a large flashlight, such as one that uses D sized batteries. So to the FDA it will just look like a flashlight.

Both of these are still illegal, no two ways about it.  Plot, scheme, whatever, it won't make a difference, as Frothy says.  Of all of us, he is the one who would know best.  And, you can go look up all the laws yourself.  It's illegal either way.  Same goes for re-stickering the lasers: still illegal, and only goes to further prove the premeditated, intentional, knew-it-was-illegal-and-tried-to-skirt-the-law nature of the crime if it ever ends up in court.

And seriously, like Frothy said so eloquently above, DON'T POST PLANNED CRIMES ON A PUBLIC FORUM.  

And really, think about it for a second.  DX is going along with this, following the rules from the FDA and clearly complying with the FDA's requests.  Now you call/e-mail DX and say "hey, how about re-stickering me some lasers and sneaking them through customs for me, or slipping them inside flashlights so I don't get caught by the FDA".  What's to stop DX, who has already complied with the FDA, from e-mailing someone in Washington and saying "Hey, this guy asked us to illegally import laser for him, here's his info, don't you see what a good company we are and how we do good business?".  I could very easily see DX turning you in in a situation like that.  If I was a business in the FDA's bad graces, seems like exactly the kind of thing I would try to do to get back in their good graces.  

But hey, it's your life, your decision.  I sometimes drive over the speed limit at the risk of getting a ticket.  It's a personal decision, and sometimes it's worth the risk to me.  Is it worth the risk (many thousands of dollars and jail time) to you personally for you to have access to cheap green lasers, especially when green lasers are still available through legal channels?  You decide for yourself.[/quote]
lol... i was partially kidding... dont jinx it. :eek: haha..
i guess we will wait and see what happens.
maybe DX will get a new way of paying besides paypal... but paypal was so easy :'( (well when i FINALLY found out how to add debit cards (which may I add is still complicated to do)) haha funny, i just contradicted what i just said about paypal... nvm then!

GooeyGus said:
[quote author=rocketparrotlet link=1219120905/60#73 date=1219297175]I was wondering about the laws.  I've looked them up on the FDA's site and found no direct answer to what I want to know: is it illegal, under all circumstances, for a member of the general public to possess any kind of laser with an output greater than 5 mW?

-Mark

No. It is legal to posses any laser as long as it has the correct safety features, and is used lawfully. Anything over 5mW needs an emission delay, shutter, interlock, key, things like that. I cant remember the specifics. Also, if I understand the law correctly, anything over 5mW is not supposed to be used outside without a permit. [/quote]

Not precisely.  FDA only governs sale, import, or manufacture for the purpose of sale, or commercial use.  FDA does not regulate personal ownership, the Federal goverenment leaves it up to local jurisdictions (state, county, town) to regulate ownership and personal usage.  The FDA rules ONLY apply to selling, importing or using lasers for business, and those rules are where the 5 safety features come in (delay, shutter, key, emission indicator, dongle).  If you build your own IIIb laser in the US (this includes DVD burner to laser, as that is modifying an existing device), as long as there are no other rules in your locality, it is perfectly legal to build, possess, and use that device as long as you're not selling it, even without the safety features.

^^^^Untill some busy-body Ledgeslator writes a new law prohibiting them
because of a stupid news story on TV about "kids with dangerous toys".

pullbangdead said:
Not precisely.  FDA only governs sale, import, or manufacture for the purpose of sale, or commercial use.  FDA does not regulate personal ownership, the Federal goverenment leaves it up to local jurisdictions (state, county, town) to regulate ownership and personal usage.  The FDA rules ONLY apply to selling, importing or using lasers for business, and those rules are where the 5 safety features come in (delay, shutter, key, emission indicator, dongle).  If you build your own IIIb laser in the US (this includes DVD burner to laser, as that is modifying an existing device), as long as there are no other rules in your locality, it is perfectly legal to build, possess, and use that device as long as you're not selling it, even without the safety features.

What a relief! I was worried that I was getting myself into a federal crime! Does anyone know where I can find the legal information for my state and county?

Thanks,
Mark

^Google. At least the two states I've lived in have every state law on the books searchable on the internet. Local laws, you may have to make some phone calls, but I kind of doubt that lasers have ever come onto very many county commissioners' radar screens.