Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

New To The World of lasers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello fellow laser lovers!

My name is MasterofDoom and I've just recently gotten into the fascinating world of lasers. Now to make a long story short I'm a HUGE fan of starwars and I'd love the ability to make a light sabre. Now I've realized that I'll probably need a special type of laser to craft such a fine piece of work. So please list for me the necessary equipment and a tutorial on how to accomplish this. Also can anyone tell me about laser repositories and an explanation on how they function.

Also i don't have MUCH experience to the world of lasers but i do have a laser it's nothing special but it works.

keychain_laser_pointer_540.jpg

Any way i can use that for the lightsabre?

Thanks,

Eric.

Last edited:

It's been awhile and i haven't gotten any proper replies. Is there some type of forum glitch where people can't see my posts?

Bump, I'm planning to take a trip to Lowes tomorrow and i really need a list of proper equipment to purchase. Any replies would be appreciated, thanks.

-Eric

I really hope you're a troll, but just in case you're not....

First, 30 minutes isn't a long time, there's no need for 2 bumps in the first 30 minutes after you post. Patience is a virtue.

Second, what do you mean you want a light sabre? Because if you mean you want a device that functions exactly like the devices in Star Wars, that's impossible with current technology. If you mean you want a handheld laser in a host that looks like a light sabre handle, well, then you'll need something that looks like a light sabre handle in which to mount a laser. If you mean you just want a laser that will cut things like a light saber can, then again, impossible with current technology.

Handheld lasers max out at approximately cutting matchsticks, cutting electrical tape, thing of that nature. Maybe cutting some balsa wood. And based on what I've read, I don't think I would recommend you begin with such lasers at this point in your laser career, so to speak.

Additionally, I'm not sure what you're planning on getting at Lowe's, but I've never used a single thing in a laser that could be found at Lowe's, maybe electrical wire, but I don't think I've seen the stuff I like to use there. I do use some pliers from Lowe's, and I got my Dremel from Home Depot, but that's about as close as it comes.

Thanks for the response pullbangdead!

It's unfortunate to learn that i can't build a properly functional laser identical to a starwars light sabre, blah technology!

Anyways this laser you described that can cut matchsticks sounds swell. I'm a bit unsure as to why you wouldn't recommend i build one? My fingers are much stronger than match sticks so I'm not worried about some type of freak accident. I'd most certainly appreciate a nice tutorial on how to build one of these specialty lasers.

As for the light sabre handle what do you recommend i use to craft it? I'm not sure how i can go about bending metal into a proper handle. I do have a saw so i may be able to craft it out of some nice wood, and paint it silver. If you can recommend some possibilities I'd certainly appreciate it. Do you think buying a toy sabre from toysrus and maybe smashing out the fake laser and inserting a proper laser that can cut matches could work?

I wasn't aware that i couldn't purchase the proper materials at Lowes. Is there maybe a speciality laser store i can maybe go to?

Thanks,

Eric.

Thanks for the response pullbangdead!

It's unfortunate to learn that i can't build a properly functional laser identical to a starwars light sabre, blah technology!

Anyways this laser you described that can cut matchsticks sounds swell. I'm a bit unsure as to why you wouldn't recommend i build one? My fingers are much stronger than match sticks so I'm not worried about some type of freak accident. I'd most certainly appreciate a nice tutorial on how to build one of these specialty lasers.

As for the light sabre handle what do you recommend i use to craft it? I'm not sure how i can go about bending metal into a proper handle. I do have a saw so i may be able to craft it out of some nice wood, and paint it silver. If you can recommend some possibilities I'd certainly appreciate it. Do you think buying a toy sabre from toysrus and maybe smashing out the fake laser and inserting a proper laser that can cut matches could work?

I wasn't aware that i couldn't purchase the proper materials at Lowes. Is there maybe a speciality laser store i can maybe go to?

Thanks,

Eric.

Sorry bro, but no one is going to spoon feed you. You need to do the reading like the rest of us for your common answers, if you're serious.

Start here....

Welcome to LPF. Enjoy your time with us here.

mat.jpg

I have compiled a list of "must read" information, it will make your time with us more productive and pleasant.

the very first thing you should read before going any further.....

What is expected of you

Laser Resources (for n00bs and veterans alike!)

http://laserpointerforums.com/f36/looking-build-laser-read-me-47684.html

Sam's Laser FAQ (The Laser Bible)

Sam's Laser FAQ - Preface, Introduction, What is a Laser?, Safety

RP Photonics Encyclopedia of Laser Physics and Technology

Encyclopedia of Laser Physics and Technology - an Open Access Resource of In-Depth Information, Free Articles, Nonlinear and Fiber Optics

I have included a handy guide to assist you in finding what you need. ;)

search.gif

Hi, Tech_Junkie

Thank you for that wonderfully detailed response. Unfortunately, after skimming the information you provided, I've realized not one of the links contains information on building a light saber. I'm not necessarily interested in learning laser physics or helium-neon theories. Plus the one link you provided named "Looking to build a laser" has been deleted.

As a realist I've come to the conclusion that my first light saber will most likely be crude, but with proper work i believe i can develop it into a masterpiece. Generally my theory has been crafted into two significant parts. First i will craft a strong handle that emirates a classic light saber handle. Whether i do it from wood, metal, or some type of plastic gadget from toysrus is still up for debate. After i craft my handle i will certainly get to work building a laser. Now i need a laser with a cool light and enough power to slice matches. This is where i need significant explanations and maybe links to some equipment i can buy. I'd just like pictures and an explanation of what i need to connect where, money is not an issue as i will purchase an adequate amount of tape, glue, and anything else my craft desires. I don't expect the handle to be any type of problem, and gluing the laser to the handle seems fair. Also will the light saber be safe for use around children? I think children fingers are stronger than match cutting lasers but I'm not sure.

I appreciate more responses to this issue. I'm not looking to be spoon fed but i want to find a mentor. As Obi-Wan Kenobi had Yoda as a mentor I also now need a mentor.

Thanks,

Eric/MasterofDoom

First off, if a laser can cut matches, it can blind a child in less than .2 of a second. We thought you understood, these are not toys. It can set fires, roast, and scare skin, blind in an instant. Use your brain. Why would you ever put a child near this?

Hey Eric, you seem really confused.... I think you should read a little more on what lasers really are. If you want a light saber handle, first read a tutorial on how to make a laser using a flashlight as a host, and then try and find one that look like a light saber handle, and use it as a host. Voilà, you are done. You need to understand that real life lasers really don't look like light saber blades, and that they don't really cut that well. Unless you use higher power, which means a lot of safety precautions, and more technical difficulties.

But please, read more tutorials. READ.

Seriously, high powered lasers are not to be toyed with like youre thinking. Read up before you get your hands on anything more than a cheap ebay laser. lasers are measures in mW the more mW power the more dangerous they are especially to your eyes it doesnt matter that you wont cut your fingers off with it. lasers with powers of 100mW and more are potential for blinding you or others (Permanently). so read up there is alot to read lasers can be fun but you need to understand they are not toys after 5 mW. and even at 5mW its not a joke shining it in anyones eyes or at an aircraft.

dnar

IF (and that's a big if) you want a light saber *exactly* like they used in Star Wars then here is how you go about it.

Step 1. Get a mate to take a video of you wielding a torch.
Step 2. Edit the video in your editor of choice, painting a beam of light emanating from said torch. You need to paint the beam in each and every frame of the video.

It is that simple, but that is how they did it. :)

IF (and that's a big if) you want a light saber *exactly* like they used in Star Wars then here is how you go about it.

Step 1. Get a mate to take a video of you wielding a torch.
Step 2. Edit the video in your editor of choice, painting a beam of light emanating from said torch. You need to paint the beam in each and every frame of the video.

It is that simple, but that is how they did it. :)

LMAO, well said

You want a Jedi Mentor you should look at the many star wars forums located 2 miles that way ->

Far far away from reality

Status
Not open for further replies.