Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

New! Sharp Diodes 1W 520nm & 5W 455nm & +2W 638nm

Steve, I agree, A FAC must catch all of the beam, if they didn't no one would use them.

From how I see this now, there is no need to have a second (one axis collimating) cylinder lens when using a FAC mounted at the emitter because neither axis have been collimated yet.

When using a cylinder pair, the input to the pair is already collimated, and then just one axis is expanded, thus the second lens in a cylinder pair is curved to collimated the expanded axis alone, the axis which is not expanded and already collimated is not affected much by either of the cylinder pair lenses.

At least, that is how I see it now, anyone? Makes sense to me. Cyp., where are you brother of the light? Diachi? MIA for both of you for awhile. Going the way of the RHD? Miss you guys, miss him too. Too many old members inactive.

Edit: My answer to Steve turns out to be redundant to the posts which followed, I answered him before seeing there were more posts from both RCB and CDBEAM which were pointing out the same info. I also reduced some of the text in this post because I essentially said the same thing two different ways.

Last edited:

Looks like all prices and shipping are up.
The Blue 455 with FAC producing a shorter line is now at the moment sold out, it was 90.00 where the 455 with FAC producing a square was 73.00 I bought a 445/square @ 73.00 but will also get the 90.00 small bar when back in stock. It was very short/tight.
NOTE: The 455 with FAC producing a line is much shorter than the 520 with FAC producing a line, that is the output line is shorter on the blue 445 which is interesting.

EDIT: The 73.00 445+FAC/Square was 73.00 is now 82.00 on ebay .......... Might be selling well on another site ?

ALSO I BOUGHT MINE WITH FREE SHIPPING BUT NOW IT'S 45.00 EXPEDITED SHIPPING ALL ARE NOW 45.00 EXPIDITED SHIPPING

This suggests that these are maybe very good and expected to sell well once people see how good they are ????
I am going to grab a 520+FAC/Square

My big question is which FAC + ( Given Coli lens ) example G2 will give us the tightest far field/ mid field spot ?

whichone.JPG

NOTE: NUBM08 W/FAC 455nm 4W with short bar output is at the moment sold out.

Last edited:

Biggie Cheese

huh weird, shipping was free to the US yesterday, now all shipping is $45. They also just started selling recanned NUBM07s / N465? Recanned NUBM07s with FAC are coming next week

Looks like all prices and shipping are up.
The Blue 455 with FAC producing a shorter line is now at the moment sold out, it was 90.00 where the 455 with FAC producing a square was 73.00 I bought a 445/square @ 73.00 but will also get the 90.00 small bar when back in stock. It was very short/tight.
NOTE: The 455 with FAC producing a line is much shorter than the 520 with FAC producing a line, that is the output line is shorter on the blue 445 which is interesting.

EDIT: The 73.00 445+FAC/Square was 73.00 is now 82.00 on ebay .......... Might be selling well on another site ?

ALSO I BOUGHT MINE WITH FREE SHIPPING BUT NOW IT'S 45.00 EXPEDITED SHIPPING ALL ARE NOW 45.00 EXPIDITED SHIPPING

This suggests that these are maybe very good and expected to sell well once people see how good they are ????
I am going to grab a 520+FAC/Square

My big question is which FAC + ( Given Coli lens ) example G2 will give us the tightest far field/ mid field spot ?

View attachment 67377

NOTE: NUBM08 W/FAC 455nm 4W with short bar output is at the moment sold out.

One step at a time. First is to observe the dimensions of the spot size at various working distances. (That's unknown as far as I can tell). Then you'll know which diameter & focal length collimating lens will do the job. Personally G labeled lenses would not be my first choice. (Off the top of my head.) I'd choose a lens with a focal length around 15mm and a diameter of at least 12mm.

Last edited:
Well...Quite a lively conversation !! SO...We must ask ourselves...." Why were these FAC lenses added to any multimode diode " ???? What was/is the final desired engineering outcome ??? What is the application ????? Surly...Hundreds of thousands of $$$ were not invested so that we may enjoy reduced.....or Zero Bar geometry in our HH applications !!! HAHAHA....That MAY be a unintended coincidence….and I am hopeful that it is....
I have NO idea what the final application is for these FAC corrected diodes ???? But....a commercial application involving thousands of diodes would likely be the guess !!!

Now....let us add " Parallax View " to this debate....!!! When we view the Beam Propagation of an uncorrected NUBM044....as it travels out into the night sky ( Never do this !!!.....because ….Sure as SH!T....an airplane will Pop into existence approx. 0.3 seconds just before one turns the beam on !!!! DIRECTLY in front of your Beam ) …...What do you see ???? Basically a beam !!! NOT a Fan/Bar...one see's a BEAM !!!!.....and this is because Human Parallax View comes into play....SO...What is my point ????

" Parallax View " is a great Physiological aspect of Human eyesight !!! ….It does a perfect job of making a less than perfect Gaussian profile beam. ( Where X does NOT equal Y )...look really good/Beamlike.....at Infinity focus !! SO....what we are really after ????

IMNHO...we are after the perception of a fairly equal divergence....SO...X =Y divergence...as close as possible...in the "Medium Field".

Now...you will ask....WTH is the " Medium Field " ???? ....Well....I would say it is the distance between the Nearfield and the LOS ( Line of Sight ) …..SO....From the HH output....to how far our unaided Eye can see....It is this distance I call the " Medium Field ". I speculate that the FAC will deliver..... the perception....that X=Y in the Medium Field… Just my SWAG....We will see shortly !!! Pass the Popcorn !!!

CDBeam

My fear is the square output was designed for home CNC use and not for holding beam shape over distance, I wonder can a single FAC lens placed close to the facet compare with a C-lens pair set after the coli lens ? The physics suggest no but I hope to be amazed.

The line output FAC corrected diode may be better at holding it's beam shape over distance as it's dimensionally reflective of the P/N junction and I don't see the square output FAC corrected diode as having enough physical space to match axis length and correct divergence is such a short distance given the line shape of the P/N junction ect.....but I hope it has done the magic that we desire and I am very curious about the shape of the FAC if it has.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One step at a time. First is to observe the dimensions of the spot size at various working distances. Then you'll know which diameter collimating lens will do you job.

Yes I agree and that's information we don't have yet and no issue once in hand, no issue what so ever once in hand.
G2 was just an example of a given lens at a given point of focus/infinity for comparison of FAC corrected diodes.

My dilemma as the price plus shipping is now 150.00 range each diode is which version of FAC corrected diodes will be better at maintaining beam shape over distance, lenses can be adjusted, but how well the FAC has adjusted the divergence of the fast axis is my question.....yes I know we will have to wait and see.

I am interested to know how well these FAC corrected nubm08 diodes compare to a 6X c-lens corrected nubm44 which is a sister diode only wavelength is 455 vs. 445 however raw divergence and output is comparable, and I don't expect they could be any better but they would be more convenient for PBS combining and knife edging, the line output FAC corrected for knife edging and likely the square beam output FAC corrected diodes for PBS combining.........but maybe not, not if one holds it's beam shape better over distance than the other, I am not building a CNC for point blank only use and I fear the square beam FAC corrected diode may not hold it's shape over distance as well as the line output unit might.....again I know we will see in time.

I also have NDB7A75 c-lens corrected beams that are very good and do 5w which I seriously doubt a single lens FAC could match, I would be happily surprised if they are as good or dare I dream better, but given the physics I imagine they are not, however if pretty good then let the beam combining begin.

My issue is how many do I buy now not knowing how long the supply may last and which FAC corrected version will be better at holding it's corrected beam shape, adjusting optics once in hand is not an issue..........I don't expect a guaranteed answer, just looking for insight. :)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

huh weird, shipping was free to the US yesterday, now all shipping is $45. They also just started selling recanned NUBM07s / N465? Recanned NUBM07s with FAC are coming next week

As long as the backfill gas has been replaced then GREAT, but if the blues don't have the backfill gas replaced under the new window can I expect they will fail very early as I have seen de-canned blues do again and again, but I have been told that they did replace the backfill gas...........I may go slow to be sure.

Last edited:
Hey steve001 what do you know about FAC FIBER as it's used in the sales description of these FAC corrected diodes ?

Is it saying these FAC lenses are designed for fiber coupling applications such as CNC use ?

I think we are hoping for some magic here and CDBEAM777 called it, they likely did not modify these so we can burn at distance or paint a dot on the moon, but likely for home CNC use......however I do remain hopeful that we can repurpose some of these for " beautiful beaming " applications.

A NUBM07 with a window can and backfill gas would be nice.

Last edited:
Hey steve001 what do you know about FAC FIBER as it's used in the sales description of these FAC corrected diodes ?

Is it saying these FAC lenses are designed for fiber coupling applications such as CNC use ?

Most likely they are using a piece of fiber to act as the FAC.

FACing a diode would make it easier to launch into a fiber.

Last edited:
I bought too many of the 1 watt 520 nm FAC corrected diodes, maybe drove the price up, or perhaps the initial offering was priced lower, I bought all of the ones she had ready to ship right now, it appears.

I emailed her and suggested she sell FAC corrected NUBM07E laser diodes too, as long as the cap was filled with inert gas, explained we could use them due to the divergence as well as the failures when removing the gball lenses. Appears she decided to do that.

Great discussions to all of you !!! This is sure changing fast...prices going up !! $45 for shipping a diode ??? Come on !!!! Well....basically...we are at their discretion...PERIOD !! To Bad...So Sad !! OK...I can see FAC for CNC at the Blue line...Why Red and Green ????

Really...IF we maintain a improved geometry...in the Mid Field....That remains the question !!!!! Will the FAC...er...ah...overcorrect ???? Dunno ??? We will see soon enough. You can be sure I will get the 520's in the Test Bed very, very quickly...and will report back on what the beam geometry is at 30M to 100M target distance.....I am on high alert...to be sure !!!!!!! I remain very hopeful....the degree at which X=Y is very close....for....with the FAC....we have no adjustability.....It is....what it is.

With C-Lens correction we have adjustability...but....we also have the major PITA of C-lens issues. C-Lens to C-lens distance is completely demanding to set with precision !! On a Optical Table....with X/Y translation....not too bad...on a HH adaptation...Oh Crap....it has given me many grey hairs !!

Later,
CDBeam

I suspect she doesn't know how to set up ebay for regular mail and express choices, she probably messed that up. I asked her to let me pay express DHL, then her listing changed to show only express mail.

I write she because the emails are signed Sabrina.

Someone sent those diodes to you in what appears to be regular foam? Not anti-static?? Please tell me this wasn't shipped to you by Laser Tree?

Won't matter if anti-static boxes if the foam isn't anti-static, curious who sent those to you that way? Anti-static treated foam is usually pink or black.

Last edited: