Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

NEW Portable DPSS Wavelength - 556nm 20mW CNI

rhd

Wow. Simply beautiful.
Just something really soothing about the shade.

What I find particularly amazing is the "precision" of the dot that this build produces. CNI really shows their talent here. In photo 4 you can see what I'm talking about. That 532nm dot looked perfect in real life, but in the photo you can see the sloppiness. Granted, this was a cheap 532 that I used for comparison. I had no choice, as it was the only ~60mW 532 in my possession. However, I just photographed some of the dots from my other 532s, and the result was more or less the same across the board.

Compare this with the dot produced by the 556nm CNI laser. The 556nm also (of course) looks perfect in real life, but in the photo, it REALLY shows its precision. There is absolutely no flaw to that dot, the structure is perfectly circular. There is zero distortion, not a single artifact to be seen.

I'm really impressed. The engineers that created this machine really outdid themselves. It's a work of art.

Johnyz

Darn, and I was guessing 561.. so close. Didn't know that CNI started making 556 into handhelds. The price must have been pretty high, right?

blrock

Great buy!
How to that get that colour? 808nm into Nd:YV04 into KTP ? Slightly different crystals?

Nice lemon-lime beam shot! Thanks for posting. Looks like moutain dew on steroids. :)

That wavelength is definitely closest to the human's sensitivity peak. I bet that things is brighter than a 50mw greenie.

Nice laser my friend!

How close is the color to a clock radio?

835954.jpg

Great buy!
How to that get that colour? 808nm into Nd:YV04 into KTP ? Slightly different crystals?

It's the 1112nm line getting doubled instead of 1064 like happens with 532nm. Not sure if they use YVO4 or YAG.. Don't remember which lases on 1112 off the top of my head. Also no clue which NLO they use either.

Helios

Seems there are new wavelength options popping up everywhere! I like what I'm seeing. Great buy rhd!

rhd said:

Thank you for showing the difference so clearly side by side with 532nm:wave:

I must admit... the color doesn't entice me nearly as much as many of the other exotic wavelength, but it is very cool:D

The dot does look excellent... cni quality shows. I can only imagine how much this laser set you back.

Something tells me the pricing will go unmentioned seeing that about a half a dozen people have asked already...It's probably best that way, just enjoy the semi-ripe banana beam!

Or... People can just email CNI and ask? I'm not sure why everyone is scared to. heh.

Heh, I think there may be some 'pressure' from the peanut gallery possible in terms of "You paid WHAT for a 20mW laser? The thing won't even pop a balloon!"

Power seems to be king here, (personally I find that boring once you've popped/burned once; CO2 as my next horizon on that side of things not withstanding).. so I think there's some degree of static about paying that much for "another green".

How many threads do we see that start off with something like "Hey guys I'm 11 years old and I *DESPERATELY NEED* a 5000mW laser that will blow a hole through a hound dog, is waterproof, lasts 12 hours on one AA and has no FDA safety features because those are for the ladies, and I want it shipped overnight with a 14 year warranty and oh yeah I don't want to spend more than $19.57. Who's up to the challenge of building one for me? Line up in single file, I know you can't resist."

(Ok, maybe I embellished a bit there.)

I know my 671 DPSS ventures were met with a bit of "you paid what for a 200mW red?" Even 589, which happened right before the "445 craze" kind of got left in the dust because people saw 1W as more important than a new wavelength.

That said, some of us are into this hobby for a multitude of reasons, and like more 'standard' collections, say, music, stamps, etc... some of us are collectors of rarities, and i'm OK with my collection. :)

And, yeah, 20mW of 556 is pretty damn bright.

Last edited:
You know, I think aryntha hit it right on the head. I used to be in it solely for power... but now that I have burnt enough things, I am now in it more for the wavelengths than for anything, and I am gong to slowly start collecting wavelengths... if only they weren't so damn expensive!