Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

New member "samba"

samba

Hi folks,
I joined up a few days ago and am just now getting around to saying hello. I am pretty new to lasers but have been reading many of the posts on here for several weeks to get some ideas. I have a few cheap Chinese lasers, strongest being a 1 Watt 445 that is most likely about 700mW but still deserves respect. Before you ask, yes I have and use glasses!!!

Anyhow, I got into lasers as I do a bit of photography in caves and needed something to help me focus on things in total darkness so I get some lower powered lasers and well one thing leads to another and now I am smoking candles and trying to write my name on the sides of mountains and take pics and so it goes.

I have always been fascinated with lasers and have a healthy interest in physics and pyromania and I love the pretty colors toooooo. I am keen to eventually try to build my own laser and I may well be in touch with some of you to get some gear or advice at some point. I also turn a bit on a lathe at work with my job from time to time so I may try to design something a bit crazy as well.

So, nice to meet you all and keep up the interesting posts. By the way, are there any members from New Zealand apart from myself? If so, please come and say hi.

welcome.gif
to the Forum samba....

Don't forget to read the FAQs...the Stickies
and the Forum Rules..
http://laserpointerforums.com/tou.htm

If you plan on buying anything on the Forum....
PLEASE read this first...

6 Steps To Prevent You From Getting Scammed

and PLEASE don't forget to read to this....

39 Reasons NOT to Buy From Wicked Lasers

If you do get a Laser or already have one be sure
to get appropriate Laser Safety Goggles/Glasses...

Get Some Safety Goggles Now!

Enjoy your stay...

Jerry

You can contact us at any time on our Website: J.BAUER Electronics

Hello samba, I am still new here too but I can tell you there is almost no limit to how much you can learn here.

I know I saw another member here from New Zealand but don't remember who or when. I can't imagine why there aren't more of you.

I used to think NZ would be a nice place to visit until I found out about "Weta Bugs". I would post a link to a video or photo but I don't want to give anyone nightmares.

Welcome, have fun and stay safe.

Alan

IsaacT

Welcome to the forum samba! Enjoy your stay :) We would love to see examples of your photography, especially if you decide to incorporate the beloved photon in some of them!

I look forward to reading your threads....in the meantime, read up on laser safety and make sure and go through the stickies as they have useful information. Lase Responsibly and Have Fun!

-Isaac

samba

Haha, wetas are hardly anything to worry about. They often live in caves and they are not everywhere by any means. I have rarely seen one. Definitely not something to worry about. Basically they are big crickets but not as nimble.

Welcome to LPF, samba! There is a wealth of knowledge here pretty much anything laser-related. Be safe and have fun!

Cheers!

Hello, Samba, and welcome to the forum. It's nice you found the hobby to help your photography. I am a 3rd generation professional photographer (now retired). We should be able to swap some stories.

Tell us something about your hometown. My SO and I have a 5yr plan to become expats and flee to NZ.

samba

Hello, Samba, and welcome to the forum. It's nice you found the hobby to help your photography. I am a 3rd generation professional photographer (now retired). We should be able to swap some stories.

Tell us something about your hometown. My SO and I have a 5yr plan to become expats and flee to NZ.

Well, to start, I am an expat here and originally from Florida. I have been in NZ around 11 years now I think. I live in Dunedin now. It is a small city of about 80,000 people when the students are here and a ghost town when they are gone. If you like wildlife there is plenty to see here locally. Within 15 minutes of where I live I can see penguins, albatross, sea lions, seals and more. NZ is like any other place and it has its good and bad sides. The good is that it is in the middle of nowhere and far from the madness and the bad is that the current government is importing US style politics and if we do not get rid of them soon they will take us down the tubes.

Most of my photos are nature related but occasionally I will do historic buildings or people. I use the lasers to help me focus when I am shooting in caves and of course to flame things for a bit of a giggle.