Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

New Generation 445nm Diodes: Nichia NDB7A75

Cel

what about divergence and dot in comparison with the old 9mm?

Cel

I thought 1W 520nm and 9mm 445nm (old one) had basically the same beam and dot specs, and that the mitsu 638nm had worse beam specs than the previous two...

Last edited:
they look a lot alike to me will try to make a night video soon.
I thought 1W 520nm and 9mm 445nm (old one) had basically the same beam and dot specs, and that the mitsu 638nm had worse beam specs than the previous two...

kaunak

I think he was trying to say that the dot was similar to the 500mW mits and the beam is as bright as the 1W 520nm. The official divergence of the new NDB7875 is pretty much the same as the old one so it shouldn't be the same as the mits, but maybe a little higher divergence than the current 445.

IsaacT

Ricktrent are you selling these diodes? And at what price? As someone who does not currently own a 445 and is planning to build one, it seems foolish to go with a mere 2.5W 445 when I could go for a 5W 445. If you want to PM about it that is fine.

Also, what battery configurations are the ones you build? And how long does the charge last at that current draw?

Last edited:
Greetings,

There's a big difference on divergence, the actual point/rectangle for these new 3.5w diodes, so much so that when using a G2 lens at distance it does not burn as well as the 2w diodes. It is almost twice the point size of the NDB7875. Even with a beam expander it does not burn as well as 2w diode. Now the beam looks much better and more intense. Whether a 3 element lens with it's smaller point size will burn better at distance remains to be tested. I'll post the results for that.
So far, I am very unimpressed with these new diodes and burning capability, but I am impressed with the beam. So, if you are wanting one of these new diodes thinking it will burn better at distance, save your money or get the ones we have been using. If you are into the beam, color and such, it is much more intense and looks great. You just need to use the 3 element glass lens.

cheers,
Moe

what about divergence and dot in comparison with the old 9mm?

Greetings,

If your goal is burning power at greater than 3' then you are better off using the NDB7875 as it burns much, much better at distance. Now 3' or less the new diode is killer, but at distance the divergence is terrible and double the point size. As a result it does not have the burning capability of the 2w diode when greater than 3'.
Has a great looking beam though when using the 3 element glass lens. I have yet to test with a beam expander using the 3 element. I tested with a G2 and was pitiful. Much less powerful then when on my 2.5w build.
I'll post the outcome with the expander and the 3 element lens in a bit...

Edit: Just tried using the 3 element lens with the expander and took it about 30 seconds before it started to burn, whereas with the 2w diode and G2 lens with the expander at the same distance would take just a little less than 2 seconds !!
My conclusion, if you are wanting this new diode for burning power at distance, you are just wasted your money as you will have more power with the older 9mm diode.

cheers,
Moe

Ricktrent are you selling these diodes? And at what price? As someone who does not currently own a 445 and is planning to build one, it seems foolish to go with a mere 2.5W 445 when I could go for a 5W 445. If you want to PM about it that is fine.

Also, what battery configurations are the ones you build? And how long does the charge last at that current draw?

Last edited:
I have some new drivers and new heat sinks coming in soon to get max power if you can wait ! ;)
You will get over 5W!

Greetings, Rick

How bout sending me a PM about the drivers, or give me a call.
Are you seeing the same terrible divergence that I am ?

cheers,
Moe

I have some new drivers and new heat sinks coming in soon to get max power if you can wait ! ;)
You will get over 5W!

DTR

Soon as I get my Ophir head back from being repaired which may be today or tomorrow I will be posting some results on power and divergence. The divergence is not quite as bad as the mitsu diodes but closer to them than the NDB7875.

Last edited:
Greetings,

Agreed on the comparison.
I wasn't expecting to see as much divergence as it has, though with the 3 element lens it is not that bad. I believe it is better with that than using the G2.
Will look forward to your results.

cheers,
Moe

Soon as I get my Ophir head back from being repaired which may be today or tomorrow I will be posting some results on power and divergence. The divergence is not quite as bad as the mitsu diodes but closer to them than the NDB7875.

To me the beam spot with a 3 element lens look the same as the NDB7875 diode with a 1 element lens in it.

Greetings,

Agreed on the comparison.
I wasn't expecting to see as much divergence as it has, though with the 3 element lens it is not that bad. I believe it is better with that than using the G2.
Will look forward to your results.

cheers,
Moe