Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

New Boost Driver in Dev

Johnyz

Re: New Boost Driver in Dev *Asking for investors*

So you want to order a driver... that hasn't even made it out of a simulator yet? Brave indeed. And anyone who's tried to design a ultra small form factor high current DC-DC converter before knows why.

^^ That. Let's say you have a 9x12mm driver board. It is powered by a fully charged li-ion. It supplies 2A at 5V. That is 10W. It needs to take around 3A at 4,1V. That is 12,3W. That's 2,3W to dissipate. At this size, that's a $#!&load o heat. Even my prototype got extremely hot, and that was only at 1.2A... That said, we get to this conclusion: hours spent designing, calculating and thinking -> unlikely to achieve. Simulation to order -> impossible.

Yes. In the grand scheme of things, flexdrives *aren't* overpriced... And if people can't afford $23 for a driver.. They should probably rethink being in this hobby anyway. heh.

Hey this is kinda off topic, but i'm making a driver of my own and the only thing i don't know is where you get those tiny little pots that are on the flexdrives and such. Does anybody know what there called and where to get them??

Just look for single turn SMD pots on digikey.

2000ma on a 9-12mm board is going to be very hard to do, Good luck !
I do hope it works out ;)

No problem, I actually looked for them about a month ago to see if I could layout a 3-mode, low voltage detect, 2A boost driver on a 17mm round PCB, it didn't happen, between chip size, pot size, and trying ot fit everything on 1 side it didn't work out.

Why couldn't you use both sides? The NJG-18 is a two sided board and it works fine.

I didn't like the idea of possibly having a spring that might compress too far, and allow the Neg or Positive terminal of the battery to make contact with a components pin, like say the exposed pins or pads of a SMD cap or resistor, or in the case of the NJG, the pot with its metal wiper thingy.

It was more of paranoria, well that and theres no way in Hell I could solder 605 or 402 sized parts if I had to get smaller parts.

Since th esmallest parts I know I can solder are 805's.

Last edited:

LaZeRz

Instead of saying "this will never happen" why dont you say "I hope everything works out"...

Give Adrian some encouragement! :D

Instead of saying "this will never happen" why dont you say "I hope everything works out"...

Give Adrian some encouragement! :D

Good thing most inventors don't say, "this will never happen", nothing would ever get done. ;)

I've been positive the whole time :p

A lot of the issue is we've had a lot of people claiming to be able to 'outdo' flexdrives and microboosts for less money.. And so far, no one has managed to do it in the same form factor. I'm not saying it will never happen, however.. It's in no way an easy feat or it would have happened already.. Plus going straight from simulation to production with zero changes NEVER happens. And more revisions means more testing and prototypes.. which means more money.. I personally wouldn't be surprised if the final cost on this, since it's being outsourced to an outside developer... didn't end up over $5k just to end up with something equivalent to a microboost.. Much less something that will do 2A@4.5v out with sane input currents when battery voltage started dropping.

Last edited:

benmwv

I didn't like the idea of possibly having a spring that might compress too far, and allow the Neg or Positive terminal of the battery to make contact with a components pin, like say the exposed pins or pads of a SMD cap or resistor, or in the case of the NJG, the pot with its metal wiper thingy.

It was more of paranoria, well that and theres no way in Hell I could solder 605 or 402 sized parts if I had to get smaller parts.

Since th esmallest parts I know I can solder are 805's.

Why can you only do 0805's? Are you soldering by hand? The other components are probably gonna be much smaller than that.

I suppose the smallest/hardest thing I've ever soldered with the solder paste and bake method is a six pin sot-23. I once soldered a 0201 resistor and a 0201 cap by hand with just a plain old soldering iron. Not even a "smd tip" or whatever lol.

Why can you only do 0805's? Are you soldering by hand? The other components are probably gonna be much smaller than that.

I suppose the smallest/hardest thing I've ever soldered with the solder paste and bake method is a six pin sot-23. I once soldered a 0201 resistor and a 0201 cap by hand with just a plain old soldering iron. Not even a "smd tip" or whatever lol.

Yep, I hand solder, plus my hands are little shaking when soldering...

benmwv

You should invest in a syringe of solder paste. They are only a few dollars and one will do plenty of small boards.

Then you just have to pop it in the toaster over. Or regular oven would work too.