Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

New all copper host project

Designs are amazing Jeff but when ready go sell ill take 2 of the 2nd design, far as gitd. Ill apply that myself!. Id. Would take the matte finish with copper heatsink. I like how bright the glow powder works with a aluminum host. Great work man. Also wondering if automotive worker coat. Would work after epoxy settles. Figure since clear coat works. By wet sanding. Just a thought.

Last edited:

Thanks buddy, well pull it off. I find in life one of my most favorite parts of the human experience is having an idea grow to a vision and accomplish it. Greatest feeling there is.

Yeah brutha I haven't forgot about you. We just finally got in touch with the machinist this evening after a game of phone tag. We need to convert an STL file to a IGES.
Thanks again CS

Beautiful !! I cannot offer any finish help...but I applaud your passion !!!
Design #2 reminds me of crop circle patterns. Combining the beauty of coherent light with the beauty of a unique host is truly fitting. Thanx for sharing !!:bowdown:

Awesome concept! I would love to see it become a reality. If variations for the metal are possible, I think pure silver would take it to the next level. Great job and keep up the good work!

You guys are too kind. Thank you for the support.
I have some updates on the design. After some thinking and emails to DTR we have decided to make the host ready for module with heavy brass thermal back and a set screw over direct or module press fit. After hearing Jordan's good advice and weighing the pros and cons it seems this is our best option and is going to give us the best heat sinking capability. We want to avoid the need for a pill so we are figuring out a good way to mount the driver. The hollow back's that fit the X-drives in them are nice and neat but don't offer as good of heat sinking and we want these hosts to have a decent duty cycle with high power diodes.

The machinist we wanted to use doesn't have the 5th axis rotation mill so we may be on the hunt for another shop which is a drag because we would get a pretty good hook up there. We are setting up some meetings for next Monday and Tuesday at local machine shops. I am anxious to get these first test hosts made and built asap.

There have been some inquires here about pricing. At this time all I can say is we are doing everything we can to keep costs down but it will be considerably more than say a Kryton Groove. I think that goes without saying. It would be nice if they can sell for similar prices of comparable all copper high quality custom hosts. I have my fingers crossed.

Lastly- to all those wanting copper tops and focus rings for their Krytons we are going to see about having some made along with the host project. Since were using a CNC they should be fairly easy to have made along with the hosts. We have the file already to go. Keep giving me shout on here if those interest you still. You don't have to commit I will have a dozen madeand it will be first come first serve. Hell, I need 3 myself.

Thanks for all the good ideas and feedback. Its all taken into consideration even if i am not able to reply to each idea. They are appreciated I am just pretty busy ATM with my day job and finishing touches and changes on the host project.
Cheers,
Jeff

You don't have to commit I will have a dozen madeand it will be first come first serve.
Jeff
That would be great as not all sellers honer that practice where group buys always remain fair. 1st design I like especially the GITD idea. Good luck bringing your idea to life

That would be great as not all sellers honer that practice where group buys always remain fair. 1st design I like especially the GITD idea. Good luck bringing your idea to life
Thanks starlight. I think this is going to be a great new host for the hobby world.
subscribe.

An amazing design.

What are slot and pockets corner radii? Some look super sharp 90 deg.
They wont be exactly 90 degrees I imagine but if they use a small bit they might be close.

Last edited:

Pman

Really amazing. Keeps reminding me of some kind of Egyptian ruin or something like stargate.

Great looking host.
That design kind of looks like a maze toy that I may a few months ago.

FA09D13F-473F-48E2-9DB3-49A0EC5E26A9_zpsznmjnez4.jpg

Jstr

I suggest the "Ra" Groove

Ra is the ancient Egyptian sun god. And its based on the kryton groove.

Great looking host.
That design kind of looks like a maze toy that I may a few months ago.

FA09D13F-473F-48E2-9DB3-49A0EC5E26A9_zpsznmjnez4.jpg

Thats a sweet gadget Ehgemus!

So Update- were going to go with casting. We have a manual lathe we will make the host out of wax and then have a mold made. We need to go visit the foundry we went today but they weren't around. Set up cost may be a grand or more but production should be cheaper than machining. A lot cheaper.

Machining them wasn't going to be cost effective unless we ordered a lot. Like 1000 units min.

I liked the idea if deeper patterns to serve as a heat sink o air exchange, but this is art, may beauty prevail.