Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

New Aixiz module holders

It doesn't look like it makes much contact with the heatsink... only at the bottom and the screw of course. I assume it would require some thermal epoxy or something to give it more contact with the heatsink.

JLSE

It doesn't look like it makes much contact with the heatsink... only at the bottom and the screw of course. I assume it would require some thermal epoxy or something to give it more contact with the heatsink.

Im assuming that they are over-sized for use with LD's that are case - or +.
Ive seen in some cheaper projectors, the red laser (case - ) are wrapped
with a non electrically conductive pad, and the mount hole over-sized.

Also I dont think these are machined as claimed. They look to be
a product of a molding process... That would also explain the price.

Could be totally wrong, but thats what it looks like to me.

You have to figure if it slides in freely, 50% or a bit less is all the "natural" contact you'll get. You could wrap it in copper or aluminum shim stock for a tight fit and the bump the screw for insurance. Wouldn't an electrical isolator wrap kinda defeat the heat sink into a holder?

Trevor

You have to figure if it slides in freely, 50% or a bit less is all the "natural" contact you'll get. You could wrap it in copper or aluminum shim stock for a tight fit and the bump the screw for insurance. Wouldn't an electrical isolator wrap kinda defeat the heat sink into a holder?

Thermally conductive electrical isolators are available. :)

-Trevor

That's what I though. Even if you apply thermal paste it would still be inefficient to use as a heatsink.

I saw that build. Nice.
I've been looking for the best price/shipping for the Arctic Thermal Paste & Adhesive.
Suggestions?
I was thinking more of a solid sheet type material is the way I read the other post.

I just bought two of these, and they're terrible. There's a gap around the module such that only about 30 degrees of a circle actually makes contact with the holder. Since it's aluminum I can't just cut a slot on top to clamp it down. I'd buy one of Odicforce's holders before one of these again. Even the top screw they provided had different lengths for each of the holders I bought.

I should've never bothered mounting it to a larger heatsink before really testing its connection to the module. Now I'll have to buy some thermal padding or something just to fill the gaps.

Here's a photo of the gap:

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSC_5240_resized.jpg
    DSC_5240_resized.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 1,059
Last edited:
Was notified of these by a good friend

I just bought two of these, and they're terrible. There's a gap around the module such that only about 30 degrees of a circle actually makes contact with the holder. Since it's aluminum I can't just cut a slot on top to clamp it down.

:eek: Wow that is very loose. Thanks for the heads up.

Prototype, you might want to re-evaluate that good friend status ;). <--- yes... I specialize in dry humor.

My Bad!! I got a sample of this when I did this review.
http://laserpointerforums.com/f52/new-version-handy-rack-modules-aixiz-56390.html

and I thought I posted something about them but now I see that i did'nt.

BB photo is correct-- there is a lot of play on these- A shim would be very neccessary for good contact, but that also leaves room for insulating the module from the holder. I used the thin copper pieces that are found inside of most radio antennas and some thermal paste.

For the price these are not so bad. Anyone getting them can get a full refund by simply returning postage included.

Sorry I forgot to post this earlier.

Attachments

• New item from AixiZ module holder 001.jpg
    New item from AixiZ module holder 001.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 373
  • New item from AixiZ module holder 002.jpg
    New item from AixiZ module holder 002.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 287
  • New item from AixiZ module holder 003.jpg
    New item from AixiZ module holder 003.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 430
  • New item from AixiZ module holder 004.jpg
    New item from AixiZ module holder 004.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 739

Benm

Thats a huge amount of excess diameter indeed, looks like the bore is a mm or so too big. I have a couple of such module holders from odicforce, and those are a pretty tight fit, but in the end the result is much better then what i'm seeing here.

Filling small gaps with thermal compound is fine, but with gaps this large it won't work very well either.