Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

new 400 mW Blu-Ray laser from Wicked Lasers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would be glad to get one of these and review it here, Steve! -Glenn

Last edited:

According to the listed Technical Specs from the product retail site, it is being driven at "280 mA" and that gives out "300-400 mW" of power.

~Jeremy

HIMNL9

UHM .....

giving 400mW at 280mA, for a (probably) 6V FV diode, means something like 1,68W total absorption, of which 0,4W emitted in light, and 1,28W dissipated in heat ..... that means something like 23,8% efficency (i'm approximating to last 2 decimals)

If i recall correctly, someone (i think misterwilling, sorry i don't remember correctly) said something about pushing an 8X to 420mA, obtaining like 530 mW, that means 2,52W total absorption, of which 0,53W in light and 1,99W in heat dissipation, with an efficency of 21% ..... not so far ..... so, considering degradation, it CAN be an overdrived 8X, with this characteristics (also if, theorically, it must be 315mA at 1,9W total absorption, and not 280 IF this was an 8X) .....

But i'm asking myself: what can be the life expectance of a so-much overdrived diode, IF this is an 8X ? ..... like, 100 hours ? ..... 50 hours ? ..... the life reduction vs overcurrent is almost a logarithmic curve, if i don't remember wrong ..... does this worth the expense ?

I was tempted to take one of these 8X and put it in a heavy heatsink, with a permanent 60 sec on / 60 sec off cycler at 400mW, and see how much time it last, if they was not so high cost, here :p

Tabish

I highly doubt its an 8x......
I mean when they make a new prototype diode, they don't just mass produce it for drives right away.
I'm sure WL got one of the new 10x/12x prototype modules.

Btw, I think WL is actually owned by a larger company. I'm sure they have contacts in the laser diode industry.

Hey Climbak. Long time no see. How's it going?

Pretty good, just doin that old work thing. Trying to get rid of most of my laser collection actually. Playing with lasers everyday at work makes playing with them at home pretty redundant. Especially when my work lasers are way cooler than the ones I have at home.

UHM .....

giving 400mW at 280mA, for a (probably) 6V FV diode, means something like 1,68W total absorption, of which 0,4W emitted in light, and 1,28W dissipated in heat ..... that means something like 23,8% efficency (i'm approximating to last 2 decimals)

If i recall correctly, someone (i think misterwilling, sorry i don't remember correctly) said something about pushing an 8X to 420mA, obtaining like 530 mW, that means 2,52W total absorption, of which 0,53W in light and 1,99W in heat dissipation, with an efficency of 21% ..... not so far ..... so, considering degradation, it CAN be an overdrived 8X, with this characteristics (also if, theorically, it must be 315mA at 1,9W total absorption, and not 280 IF this was an 8X) .....

But i'm asking myself: what can be the life expectance of a so-much overdrived diode, IF this is an 8X ? ..... like, 100 hours ? ..... 50 hours ? ..... the life reduction vs overcurrent is almost a logarithmic curve, if i don't remember wrong ..... does this worth the expense ?

I was tempted to take one of these 8X and put it in a heavy heatsink, with a permanent 60 sec on / 60 sec off cycler at 400mW, and see how much time it last, if they was not so high cost, here :p

I remember back when the PHR was in its early testing stages I ran one with no real heatsinking other than the small heatsick it's mounted on in the sled at 150mA for a lifetime test. I had it hooked up through an opamp circuit to a clock with date and time. It ran for roughly 5000 hours straight before dying if I remember correctly, but you'd have to look it up to know for sure.

If the 8X is anything like the PHR diode, and it probably is very similar, then they should be able to be overdriven without too much worry, especially with good heatsinking and a good safe driver.

in Sonar Elite page it says 200mA for 5mW and in Sonar Advanced it says 280mA for 100mW ?!
so i don't think 280mA is correct for 400mW

Well well its really not fair to say 2,800 for just a 300mw laser, because we are all a little spoiled when it comes to Blu-Ray lasers. Still really pricey tho

Status
Not open for further replies.