Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

new 400 mW Blu-Ray laser from Wicked Lasers

Status
Not open for further replies.

ixfd64

I wonder if Wicked will out review units, like it did with the other lasers.

There are already stock 405nm diodes with 400mW CW output or higher.

UV, Visible, & IR Laser Diodes Available

I have seen as high as 600mW offered with a standard spec'd lifetime of 10,000 hours and I know there are more out there. I'm an optical engineer and work with laser manufacturers on a weekly basis and there is a lot more out there for industrial and scientific use than can be found just in drives if you're willing to spend the money. I'm positive Wicked Lasers just buys diodes with high power specs and passes the high cost on to the consumer. If they were buying in the same quantities as the drive manufacturers their pricing would be significantly less.

For example, thorlabs sells 6X diodes for something like $1200 a pop while you can go buy a 6X drive for $200 or less. It's a simple issue of purchase quantity. Thorlabs sells individual diodes for scientific use so only stocks a handful at a time whereas LG makes a 1/4 million drives and probably buys on the order of 100k diodes at a time.

It's just to much.... seriously, it's to much.

I agree that the price is "out there".

But when you consider that the SONAR II with its 60mw of pulsed power cost 2k$ in its time, the 2,8k$ for 400mw seems like a step in the right direction, at least from the mw/$ standpoint. Even with this fact it is still 2,8k$ for a novetly...

I wonder if Wicked will out review units, like it did with the other lasers.

Steve is sending me one to review, he said its in the Sonar Family so, that could be 3 or 4 different models. I really dont know which one. But he said they are not finished yet so it will be about a week or two before he ships it out. I'll try to make a good review of it tho for you guys. :)

WL should stop selling lasers and turn into a shipping company. Only 3 days from china to Indiana. haha

Well they are the only ones on the market selling quality Blu-Ray 405nm lasers upwards of 150mw. We will know if they are anygood when people start getting them to review. Which should be in the next week of so.

Tabish

Almost 3 grand for the 400mw is insane.

400mw can probably be built for wayyy less, lets see..

$200 for pioneer 8x diode
$100 for an awesome host/flexdrive from Jayrob
$50 for 405-g1
$50 for miscellaneous (battries/charger etc)
--------------------------
about $400

Then for each 8x diode you blow, add $200

I dont understand why they overprice it sooooo much
I mean if they doubled what it would cost us. Hell maybe even a $1000 it might be ok.

But almost $3 Grand lol

I mean it doesn't even have tec cooling or anything.

Fuzion

Almost 3 grand for the 400 mw is insane.

400mw can probably be built for way less, lets see..

$200 for pioneer 8x diode
$100 for an awesome host/flex drive from Jayrob
$50 for 405-g1
$50 for miscellaneous (batteries/charger etc)
--------------------------
about $400

Then for each 8x diode you blow, add $200

I dont understand why they overprice it sooo much
I mean if they doubled what it would cost us. Hell maybe even a $1000 it might be ok.

But almost $3 Grand lol

I mean it doesn't even have tec cooling or anything.

Its got continuous duty cycle ! so it must have some sort of cooling who knows it could be tech the new spyder III'S have 2nd generation tec maybe the sonar's have the 1st gen tec now.

best to wait till reviews are done imo

Fuzion

Status
Not open for further replies.