Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

New 2.2W Survival laser

I've dealt with all three parties here... SL, DTR and Jayrob. I think the service from all of them is excellent. I mean there is really nothing more I could ask for from any of them. Thank you guys:bowdown:

The last g1 lens I bought, I got second hand... the one before that, as part of a package, and the only time I did order one from Jay, IIRC it was $56 or $58...

I do think that the markup SL has on some products is a tad ridiculous, for example the $6 spring or the $20 extension tube... but at the same time no one else out there is offering a professional store front setup for these items.

So as it stands I can't really call his pricing out of line because he is the ONLY ONE offering this lineup of products.

That said... I always love to see competition in the market place.

I guess maybe my perspective on this is somewhat skewed since my job is to essentially set margins based on market intelligence...

Where no competition exists the sole producer gets to set the price, and rightfully so imo:p

Edit: Aside from Garoq and Ghostchrome none of the sellers have bothered to put together even half decent websites.

Mohrenberg, set up a website too. :D Mohgasm!, Because it feels so good.

Just saying one thing, the G-1 lens came in the package for no additional charge; I just assume since the ones they sell are $100 thats where $100 comes from in the buy.
Also, my camera is charging now.

Garoq

Some of you keep grousing about overpriced products, price gouging, etc.

It also kills me to hear competitors complaining about our prices.:crackup:

Customers: If you don't like a product or price don't buy it!

Competitors: If you think you can offer the same or better product for less, do it!

But I think it's funny that one of the competitors states "The cheapest source online. Guaranteed." And we sell our lenses for less. :beer:

There's plenty of competition out there! Look at all the listings on this forum alone. And apparently plenty of people willing to work for minimum wage (or less) to make stuff.

SL is a bona fide business, with business expenses like rent, legal fees and taxes. We also have dealers. Dealers buy from us at a discount. That is worked into our price structure. And yet we offer a discount to forum members too. And some pretty nice specials not found on the webstore!

"Lowest cost" isn't everything. There is a market for superior products, excellent communication, fast shipping, stability, confidence, variety and nuance.

I believe we have the best products, the best customer service, the best shipping speed out there. These are the principles that Survival Laser was founded on! Early on, I had to wait weeks for some kit parts purchased from a respected member (good quality though). A laser purchased from another veteran member was shipped quickly, but had poor soldering, with no heat shrink on the joints. I felt we could do better.

I want to personally thank our customers for supporting us, like ZRaffleticket. He is obviously very happy with our product. Good products and good service produce more sales, no matter what the industry. I put my business card in every order from a new customer, and my personal phone number is on it. No customer ever has a hard time reaching me for any reason.

Oh, look for our 638nm bundles very soon. :D

I've stated our position, I am not going to debate this ad infinitum. Thanks for listening! ;)

Garoq

I think what Yob is getting at, is that the 2.2W is the high end of the estimate.

In reality your laser could be anywhere in between 1.8W and 2.2W.

Simply by eyeing it, there is absolutely no way to tell.

If it's an SL II SE, it would be 2.1-2.3W, although some have gone out over 2.3W.

The actual measured output is written on the driver pill.

Garoq

Gotcha, with 1.8A driver and the 405-G-1 lens and 2 18650 batteries There is no reason for it not to be at least 2W. Nice piece of kit you got there!

These use binned M140 diodes, as you know not all of them will produce 2.1W+ with a G-1 lens.

Garoq

Please bear in mind though that SL is a for profit business, that offer excellent support, and that the base models, especially after lpf discounts are well priced... especially compared to crapware from china.

We buy our G-1 lenses from the same more expensive source as everyone else, mostly for inclusion in the SL II bundles. After the dealer discount, our markup is rather modest.

Last edited:
Some of you keep grousing about overpriced products, price gouging, etc.

It also kills me to hear competitors complaining about our prices.:crackup:

Customers: If you don't like a product or price don't buy it!

Competitors: If you think you can offer the same or better product for less, do it!

But I think it's funny that one of the competitors states "The cheapest source online. Guaranteed." And we sell our lenses for less. :beer:

There's plenty of competition out there! Look at all the listings on this forum alone. And apparently plenty of people willing to work for minimum wage (or less) to make stuff.

SL is a bona fide business, with business expenses like rent, legal fees and taxes. We also have dealers. Dealers buy from us at a discount. That is worked into our price structure. And yet we offer a discount to forum members too. And some pretty nice specials not found on the webstore!

"Lowest cost" isn't everything. There is a market for superior products, excellent communication, fast shipping, stability, confidence, variety and nuance.

I believe we have the best products, the best customer service, the best shipping speed out there. These are the principles that Survival Laser was founded on! Early on, I had to wait weeks for some kit parts purchased from a respected member (good quality though). A laser purchased from another veteran member was shipped quickly, but had poor soldering, with no heat shrink on the joints. I felt we could do better.

I want to personally thank our customers for supporting us, like ZRaffleticket. He is obviously very happy with our product. Good products and good service produce more sales, no matter what the industry. I put my business card in every order from a new customer, and my personal phone number is on it. No customer ever has a hard time reaching me for any reason.

Oh, look for our 638nm bundles very soon. :D

I've stated our position, I am not going to debate this ad infinitum. Thanks for listening! ;)

Yeah... some LPF members seem to think that ALL sales are by
hobbyists selling stuff that they threw together in their bedrooms
and as such should be sold for costs or close to it.

The majority of "the price is too high" group doesn't seem to
understand that to run a profitable business there are unseen
expenses that need to be paid way before you even R&D/Design
a product. Some seem to think they are entitled to get a product
for cost just because....

It is not just raw cost of parts and pure profit...

We are spoiled on this Forum because we can get really low prices
on here that are not always available outside of this forum for the
average LPF member.

I see nothing wrong with the price of that Laser especially since the
customer is happy with his purchase and has a great customer support...

@ZRaffleticket....
Nice High Power Laser you have there... Be safe...;)

Jerry

Last edited:

Garoq

The majority of "the price is too high" group doesn't seem to understand that to run a profitable business there are unseen
expenses that need to be paid way before you even R&D/Design a product. Some seem to think they are entitled to get a product for cost just because....

I wonder how many of the private sellers on this forum are paying taxes on their laser income. :whistle:

I have done business with Gary at Survival Laser and can vouch for his service levels and product quality. One of my next laser purchases will be from him. Top notch!

Glenn

rhd

You pay rent for the sole purpose of assembling these? You must be doing a lot of business. ;)

GC: A lot of people "pay rent" for business premises.

In practice, that often means:
"I'm allocating 25% of my home mortgage/rent to a business expense, because I have a room where my computer sits, and a workshop where I keep my supplies and build stuff".

It's still a legitimate allocation of these costs, I'm not suggesting otherwise. But it sure gives a different impression when you tell people "I have to pay rent, as overhead for my XYZ business", vs "I do work out of my home, and charge some of my living expenses to the business".

No idea which is which here - the above is just a general comment. I don't know how any of the commenters in this thread are setup.

Though I would note that if you're all buying your G1s from the same expensive source, and one seller can retail it for $45 while you retail it for $100, there's just no way your markup is "modest". Otherwise the $45 seller would be loosing money (unless you're just incredibly inefficient in your business overhead management).

That said, if the SLII is a binned diode, then 2.1-2.3 is totally legit. I've found these new diodes perfectly capable of 2W + with a G1, and not too much struggle. The M140s really *are* a newer better diode. I don't know why there would be skepticism of SL's 2.1W claim.

Last edited:
If it's an SL II SE, it would be 2.1-2.3W, although some have gone out over 2.3W.

The actual measured output is written on the driver pill.

That said, if the SLII is a binned diode, then 2.1-2.3 is totally legit. I've found these new diodes perfectly capable of 2W + with a G1, and not too much struggle. The M140s really *are* a newer better diode. I don't know why there would be skepticism of SL's 2.1W claim.

I was basing my earlier statements on the fact that previously, 2W+ a140 diodes were far more rare.

IIRC for a time the SLII was dropped from having a 2W+ reading, but sold as just 1.8W... please correct me if I'm wrong.

Obviously that's nice the case here since the diode was specifically tested though.

GC: A lot of people "pay rent" for business premises.

In practice, that often means:
"I'm allocating 25% of my home mortgage/rent to a business expense, because I have a room where my computer sits, and a workshop where I keep my supplies and build stuff".

It's still a legitimate allocation of these costs, I'm not suggesting otherwise. But it sure gives a different impression when you tell people "I have to pay rent, as overhead for my XYZ business", vs "I do work out of my home, and charge some of my living expenses to the business".

What makes you think that all of us selling on the forum run a
"business" in our homes...:thinking:

I for one have a home (house with a mortgage) and do not run a
business in it.
I for one also pay a mortgage on our Business Shop building plus
the Heating and Cooling and Lighting just like a lot of Canadian
Registered businesses..

That's just to open the door... Where do you think the $$$ comes
from to cover those basic business expenses...:thinking:

Jerry

Last edited:

rhd

What makes you think that all of us selling on the forum run a
"business" in our homes...:thinking:

NOTHING

No idea which is which here - the above is just a general comment. I don't know how any of the commenters in this thread are setup.

Read what I've actually written before you criticize me.

Last edited: