Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

New 2.2W Survival laser

Now, before you guys tell me it was a waste of money, Please hold off. there's no review of this to my knowledge, and well I want something better than a dead arctic that is guaranteed to work correctly.

Now that that's out of the way, Onto the review!
I ordered this laser at approx 11:12 am on wednesday, January 4th. The same day the laser was shipped, and two days later it arrived at my house in my mailbox. This was the fastest shipping I ever had on anything.

I ordered the parts to this one where I had to assemble it myself, and also bought the 18650 extension tube (in an effort not to buy more batteries....)

Putting this together, easy. This would be my first "build" though it's not really. Moreso an introduction to builds which leads to my next project with some 405's. Anyone can put these things together, included in the box there was an instruction manual for building this, so for $100 less you can spend 5 minutes assembling this.

The price on this laser was a bit expensive, yes. I understand the 405-G-1 lens tacked on ~$100. On their entire site, they have a 10% discount code for full orders, so I took about $52 off what would've been my final price.

The burning... Oh my. This is by far the most powerful laser I have. In fact it's a bit TOO powerful. Not once before have I been able to light things on fire (other than a match) with a laser. Well. So far I've managed to light the fireplace, paper, wood, electrical tape, paper, and even dried up gum that was stuck to a shelf.

I managed to make a video, when I stopped it my camera died.... it also seems every time I tried using youtube's embed code here it didn't work. never knew LPF had a youtube embedder of its own in the reply editor :whistle: thanks haloid95!
Otherwise, managed to get a few pictures. More to come tomorrow ;)

Body of the laser & extension tube

laser head

beamshot with camera flash and lights on. first to still be visible

Beamshot with cameraflash off and lights on

Generic beamshots

Wish I had some outside ones for you guys, the rest will be taken tomorrow.

Overall, I really like this laser. I've only found one thing I do not like about it, the focus is tough to keep in a straight beam (no, not the diode divergence problem, the focus ring isn't as tight as some of my other lasers)
Something I did to "fix" this was putting a ring of non-drying clay around the focus lens. Works like a charm!

And in case anyone missed it the past 2 times, I will say it again, More content to come tomorrow!

Shipping: 10/10
Price: 8/10
Quality: 10/10

P.S. Ignore the mess!

Last edited:

Im guessing it was very expensive? Link?

Great Review +1, The pictures are great and it would be awesome if you can take some night shots. I really like the last picture.

Here is how you add a youtube video:

Your link is here:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-t1YUv--uGw&feature=youtu.be

You copy that part in red, and when you click the button to add a YouTube video you put that inside.

Here:

Be careful with all that power.

Last edited:
Oh, I never took notice to that little button... Heh. Thanks
e: The total cost ended up being ~$470
Also if there's anything else you guys want to see this thing do let me know!

Last edited:
How did you measure the output of your laser? or does it come with a power certificate/readout?

well its claimed to be 2.2W, until I have an LPM of my own I just go with their estimates. Saving some $$ for one though. Can't leave it to the 2.0W ones at this point then (assuming the power is right)

well its claimed to be 2.2W, until I have an LPM of my own I just go with their estimates. Saving some $$ for one though. Can't leave it to the 2.0W ones at this point then (assuming the power is right)

I think what Yob is getting at, is that the 2.2W is the high end of the estimate.

In reality your laser could be anywhere in between 1.8W and 2.2W.

Simply by eyeing it, there is absolutely no way to tell.

Gotcha, with 1.8A driver and the 405-G-1 lens and 2 18650 batteries There is no reason for it not to be at least 2W. Nice piece of kit you got there!

rhd

I'm assuming that this SurvivalLaser isn't using their standard "kit" driver, right?

And am I crazy, or did you say that they charged you $100 for a G1 lens? PLEASE tell me that isn't true. I like SurvivalLaser! But if they've charged you $100 for a G1 lens, then my opinion of them has been totally trashed.

G-1 Lens Assembly

:whistle:

Please bear in mind though that SL is a for profit business, that offer excellent support, and that the base models, especially after lpf discounts are well priced... especially compared to crapware from china.

Last edited:
To tell you the truth I thought they where gonna charge you more than $470. As long as you think its worth it, then its worth it. Hopefully it is actually 2.2w .

rhd

Hey, awesome laser. 100% cool. It's worth it if you're enjoying it :)

Please bear in mind though that SL is a for profit business, that offer excellent support, and that the base models, especially after lpf discounts are well priced... especially compared to crapware from china.

But COME ON Inifinitus, this is $100 for a G1 lens!

I know everyone is entitled to make a profit, but this is in that realm of "holy crap, no way!" over-pricing. Jayrob sells his for.. $50? and DTR sells his for.. $45? Both of those dudes are infinitely more legit than anyone else out there, and offer excellent support.

Nooo! I can't help myself! $100 bucks for a 405-G-1?! WTF?!

Yep. This is "WTF" territory.

Before this turns into a debate, and before it descends into the whole "You can charge whatever you want, blah blah blah" rhetoric, let me pre-empt you all by agreeing: "Yes, I agree, you can charge whatever you want to charge, for whatever you decide to sell".

But the corollary to that is that "I can think whatever I want to think, about someone who is knowingly charging twice the going rate for a product". And what I think, is that SL is taking advantage of novice laser enthusiasts who don't know better.

This is major bad karma in my books. I'll never recommend SL again.

But - to the OP - you HAVE AN AWESOME LASER! Regardless of our little bickering here. Congrats! It's very cool :)

Last edited:
But COME ON Inifinitus, this is $100 for a G1 lens!

I know everyone is entitled to make a profit, but this is in that realm of "holy crap, no way!" over-pricing. Jayrob sells his for.. $50? and DTR sells his for.. $45? Both of those dudes are infinitely more legit than anyone else out there, and offer excellent support.

I've dealt with all three parties here... SL, DTR and Jayrob. I think the service from all of them is excellent. I mean there is really nothing more I could ask for from any of them. Thank you guys:bowdown:

The last g1 lens I bought, I got second hand... the one before that, as part of a package, and the only time I did order one from Jay, IIRC it was $56 or $58...

I do think that the markup SL has on some products is a tad ridiculous, for example the $6 spring or the $20 extension tube... but at the same time no one else out there is offering a professional store front setup for these items.

So as it stands I can't really call his pricing out of line because he is the ONLY ONE offering this lineup of products.

That said... I always love to see competition in the market place.

I guess maybe my perspective on this is somewhat skewed since my job is to essentially set margins based on market intelligence...

Where no competition exists the sole producer gets to set the price, and rightfully so imo:p

Edit: Aside from Garoq and Ghostchrome none of the sellers have bothered to put together even half decent websites.

Last edited:
Abso FREAKING Lutely... Competition is always good:D

If you start selling slip over, multi wavelength goggles like these I'll be your first customer.

Also currently no one is selling 638nm kits;)

I've looked around for Eagle Pair goggles a bit. I like them too.

I've thought about doing kits, but I'm not really set up for pounding them out right now. If I did, I'd most likely be buying parts from all of you guys, so it'd be more of a community effort that is a more affordable option. Or hell, maybe we can just all put a few kits together for competition's sake. Price gouging irritates me.

Last edited: