Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Neodymium magnets

Noctox

OWIE! Reading the first page of this topic made me cringe at the thought! :eek:

I find it rather interesting that people who are very interested in lasers are also to a large extent interested in high powered magnets.. Love of the sciency things that "wow" us perhaps?

Noctox

However, you must consider the sheer number of users who browse and post on these forums every day. The percentage might be less than one would expect.

Pilgor

Here is another thread on LPF discussing neo magnets and how brittle they are. http://laserpointerforums.com/f57/ever-happen-anyone-magnet-destruction-47633.html

And once you get to the 150LB+ magnets, NEVER use more then one at anytime, and always have them far apart from each other, if not YouTube - ‪NEODYMIUM N45 Magnet Accident - The Healing Process of my by Neo Magnets attacked finger‬‏ <------ If you're squeamish do not watch.

The accident is nothing compared to what can actually happen. That is the only reason I have purchased a big, strong magnet. If I hurt my self often enough with the small one, I will most definitely destroy my hand with a big one.

Last edited:
^^^Ouch. My left index finger has a collection of similar scars, hammer, magnet, and a couple of cutting accidents.

Other than wiping out hard drives, what other uses do you guys have for high powered magnets ?

Other than star pointing, what other uses do you guys have for a portable high powered laser?

;) hehehehe

Pilgor

I usually have a small Neo magnet in my pocket because I hate the sound of loose change. (Canadian money is magnetic)

I just tried to disassemble a harddrive. Shredded the aluminium layer off... oh, wow, look. A pretty round FS mirror. The magnet is held down by stupid star-head screws which i couldn't remove, so i tried levering it out with my pliers to no avail. Then all of a sudden the pliers slipped and shards of FS mirror went flying all over the floor. Awww.... i liked that mirror :(

Still no luck with the magnet, help appreciated.

Don't worry, they really don't make great FS mirrors as the tiny concentric rings make them quite lossy. Buy some of those star-shaped screwdrivers from a Hong Kong shop like DealExtreme.

Pilgor

For a magnet to actually pull blood would have to have a pull force of like 1Billion LBS. When you see magnets pull force, that is when it is attached to a 1inch steel plate. The thicker the steel, the stronger the pull force will be. Until, the thickness of the steel is no longer in the field.
clip_image018.gif

Trevor

No magnet can pull iron out of your blood. The trace amounts of iron magnetically saturate at such a low point that the force of your blood flowing will pull them along, away from the magnet.

This is the same concept that keeps a huge magnet from pulling a paperclip through your hand.

-Trevor

Last edited:
I wondered about this. Not specifically about pulling iron out of blood, but whether if, say, you wore Nd magnetic jewelry constantly it would increase the risk of blood clots. The Biology teachers couldn't answer because they didn't know much about magnets, the Chemistry teachers always talk in theoreticals "I suppose it could..." and Physics teachers stopped answering my questions a LONG time ago... so thanks for finally answering that for me. :D