Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Neighbors hate lasers!

Ok so a while ago my friend and i decided that we would see what a hulk 175mW looks like from 4 miles away, so he went on a hill top and shined it in the HUGE field behind my house (lol welcome to Nevada) and it was sooo cool, but the neighbors didn’t agree, they called the cops to get us in trouble, but by the time the cops arrived we were safe inside. science then they were on guard for ANY laser activity trying to get me in trouble, even to the point they were fussing over the small dim beam of my 5mW pen laser...(sold it BTW) anyway i now have a nice big CNI pgl on the way from one of Glenn's (Scopeguy20) group buys, and my question for you is what should i do about they’re annoying habit of calling the cops? There are no laws against laseing here (except for shining at aircraft) so should i let the cops find me and explain its just a laser and have them tell my neighbors to get over it? or should i not shine my new "toy" in the sky???????

Oh and no i don't do stupid things like shine on people, or houses!!!!

UPDATE

Errr these as*holes just called the cops saying i shot theyre kids with a bb gun!!! i don't even own one!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

YGG

I beamed in a house once, but my buddy lives there, his sister comes out....
"YOU MOTHER FUCKERS SHINE THAT FUCKING LIGHT IN MY WINDOW ONE MORE TIME I WILL FUCKING KILL YOU" and that's how that ends, the rest of my neighbors just think the lasers are sweet but always tell me not to point at aircraft, I reassure them, I would never try to ruin someones life with a laser in any way.

Now to your story, if you are 100% positive lasers are totally legal there then go ahead, let the cops see, you don't have to show them your laser, simply tell them. I'm surprised your neighbors are so bitchy about it, mine seem to like the cool factor of the green beam.

I beamed in a house once, but my buddy lives there, his sister comes out....
"YOU MOTHER FUCKERS SHINE THAT FUCKING LIGHT IN MY WINDOW ONE MORE TIME I WILL FUCKING KILL YOU" and that's how that ends, the rest of my neighbors just think the lasers are sweet but always tell me not to point at aircraft, I reassure them, I would never try to ruin someones life with a laser in any way.

Now to your story, if you are 100% positive lasers are totally legal there then go ahead, let the cops see, you don't have to show them your laser, simply tell them. I'm surprised your neighbors are so bitchy about it, mine seem to like the cool factor of the green beam.
I think they are just jealous! lol

:na:

Last edited:
This is the BIG problem w/ this hobby...one person can ruin it for others.

Have fun... use your laser be damn carefull not to even have a reflection go toward
their house.

I would copy paste print and keep on hand the local laws so when the cops do show up you have that w/ you. I allways carry my lawyers # in my wallet.

I have a CWP and the first thing they teach you is that local police sometimes are not the best at local laws and you don't want to be a test case.

This is the BIG problem w/ this hobby...one person can ruin it for others.

Have fun... use your laser be damn carefull not to even have a reflection go toward
their house.

I would copy paste print and keep on hand the local laws so when the cops do show up you have that w/ you. I allways carry my lawyers # in my wallet.

I have a CWP and the first thing they teach you is that local police sometimes are not the best at local laws and you don't want to be a test case.

good idea man... will do!!!!

Last edited:

HIMNL9

Also (but take it as a semi-serious suggestion, ok ? ;)), get a <1mw keychain laser of the same color of your big one, and let them call cops ..... then give the big one to a friend that go away before the cops arrives ..... then, show them the keychain pointer and ask to the cops "sorry, i thought that less than 1 mw lasers are allowed anywhere, can i ask you who called you, giving you false informations ?" ..... and see what happens :)eg:)

Also (but take it as a semi-serious suggestion, ok ? ;)), get a <1mw keychain laser of the same color of your big one, and let them call cops ..... then give the big one to a friend that go away before the cops arrives ..... then, show them the keychain pointer and ask to the cops "sorry, i thought that less than 1 mw lasers are allowed anywhere, can i ask you who called you, giving you false informations ?" ..... and see what happens :)eg:)

Haha good idea!!! But i have no reason to act innocent if i realey am!!!
but it would be good to make the cops thing that them a** holes are loony!

:evil::evil::evil:

Hey and you can always say what I said to a cop who questioned my laser, “I was teaching kids in the neighborhood astronomy and I use it to point out the constellations to them”. Oh and yes you can ask who called it in, you always have the right confront your accuser and :lasergun: them. J/K

As long as:

The laser is under 5mW

You don't shine the laser at aircraft

You don't shine the laser at your neighbors or their houses/vehicles

Then you are not breaking any laws and are well within your rights to star-point or do whatever from your own property.

EDIT: this applies to US residents only

Last edited:
wow im so lucky im here in the philippines, people here when they saw lasers specially the green one they will ask where did you buy it?? i want one too..

anyway, we also have rules like dont shine in the aircraft,
never point it to a person

never shine it to a house except yours...

but the thing is...

people here will dare to even ask if they could watch you test your lasers..

i guess proper education and also a little explanation and community talk will make our neighbors understand your hobby..

:)

Sounds like you have some meddling jerks for neighbors. As long as you have the beam and any possible reflections contained within your own property, you *should* be in the clear. There are federal laws and regs dealing with the display of lasers to the general public (those over 5mw), like at concerts and such, but I'm not sure if or how they might be applicable to someone on his/her own property. Local laws are another thing. The best thing to do is check the laws.

You know, maybe you should build a 500W CO2 laser, fire it up and point it at the offenders' house! Ah, just kidding!

the police have to see YOU shine it, or the neighbours have to supply proof. Oh and you NEVER HAVE TO open the door for the police (unless they have a warrant)

@ Don't Laze Me Bro
If you really are doing nothing illegal, have you considered actually talking to your neighbor? Maybe showing them the laser and explaining that it is not a weapon or some kind of insidious targeting device? How about giving them your phone number and asking that they call you instead of the police if they have any concerns? You would be surprise what acting like an adult and taking responsibility can do to your neighbors attitude.

At very least it shows them that you are not just another punk kid with with a green laser. More than likely it will relieve their paranoia and keep them from calling the cops altogether, possibly giving you greater freedom to play with your laser outside.

@ boosted_4cyl
The police don't have to actually see you do anything to give you a hard time.:whistle:

Last edited:
@ Don't Laze Me Bro
If you really are doing nothing illegal, have you considered actually talking to your neighbor? Maybe showing them the laser and explaining that it is not a weapon or some king of insidious targeting device? How about giving them your phone number and asking that they call you instead of the police if they have any concerns? You would be surprise what acting like an adult and taking responsibility can do to your neighbors attitude.

At very least it shows them that you are not just another punk kid with with a green laser. More than likely it will relieve their paranoia and keep them from calling the cops altogether, possibly giving you greater freedom to play with your laser outside.

@ boosted_4cyl
The police don't have to actually see you do anything to give you a hard time.:whistle:

not these guys they have allways had a problem with us!