Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

need help with the laser kit i bought noobie here!

Re: need help with the laser kit i bought noobie h

chipdouglas said:
sorry to be the negative nancy. I tried to send you in the right direction. You don't seem to have even a basic knowledge of lasers.   :'(   There are soooooooo many stickies you really should read first. you don't want to ruin that expensive kit.  instead of reading the replies on this thread you should be searching the WHOLE forum.   ;)

michael

I second that or just have someone here build it for you.

svars1

Re: need help with the laser kit i bought noobie h

chipdouglas said:
sorry to be the negative nancy. I tried to send you in the right direction. You don't seem to have even a basic knowledge of lasers.   :'(   There are soooooooo many stickies you really should read first. you don't want to ruin that expensive kit.  instead of reading the replies on this thread you should be searching the WHOLE forum.   ;)

michael
thank for the advice, i will be reading these forums all throughout the weekend to get familar with lasers

shyam

i'd be willing to assemble it for you.....assuming you pay postage both ways.

D

Deleted member 8382

Send it to him, he has built tons of lasers, you can't go wrong.

Always surprisedon how kind he is

M

Mr.Lazo

You MUST, MUST practice your soldering for a while, first.

Pick up a kit from your nearest hardware/electronics store (I wouldn't know what the Australian analog of Sears or Radio Shack would be), and make sure it's a kit that comes with a few tools, especially a clip-on heatsink (looks like a short, flat, spring-clamp pair of tweezers). You can clip the heatsink onto the wires of the sensitive components you'll be soldering to absorb a little more heat. If you don't already have a multi-meter (volt-ohm meter), pick one of those up, too -- you're gonna need it.

Once you've got your kit, practice, practice, practice. Use some scrap wire to familiarize yourself with how long you have to heat something before the solder will "stick" and practice soldering some ends together until the result looks nice & smooth. I recall having come across a few links in the forum for soldering instructions (here's a good one http://tangentsoft.net/elec/movies/ courtesy of Phoenix77), so spend a lot of time in the help & repairs section. Use your new multi-meter to test the resistance on your solers to make sure you've got a clean connection: the readout shouldn't change when you apply pressure to the solder (pulling/jiggling it).

After you've mastered the basics, find some discarded 'cheapy' electronics (old LED lights, anything you might see in a bin on the street that someone's tossed) and practice de-soldering and re-soldering the components (you might also manage to fix some trashed electronics, while your at it -- but that's just the frugal Scottsman in me talking). While your at it, practice using your meter to test out the various circuits you're salvaging -- if a device isn't working, see if you can figure out where the fault is.

After you've got all that down pat, you should be able to fully benefit from the step-by-step tutorial on how to assemble your kit.

Or you could find another member in Australia who's willing to put it together for you.

laser build

would someone be willing to build it for me?

Howdy, I do love helping people, I have over 40 years of electronics and taught soldering in the navy. I to have just completed my first 405 nm laser, boy is it cool. and all my friends want one now, so I,m going to be doing lots of soldering so whats a few more connections anyway, I would love to help you. in the meantime it would be a good idea to use some of the suggestions you have been given by the people on this list to learn how to solder. I myself take great pride in my work, as grandpaw always said " If a job is worth doing, It's worth doing RIGHT !
if you would like some help let me know and I'll give you my number.

Any luck yet?
(this is the same Mr.Lazo from before -- gotta love that changeover!)

Although it is a lot more time consuming/difficult, the satisfaction (and usefulness) of having at least a nodding acquaintance with assembling electronics far outweighs the immediate gratification of having your laser pre-assembled.

If you want a BR right now(ish), check the Buy/Sell/Trade section of this forum, or even fleaBay (I can give you the contact info on some good & cheap ready-made vedors, but they're all US-based).

My advice would be to hang on to that kit until you're confident enough to put it together yourself. It's a damn fine kit, and one you will enjoy all the more for having made yourself.

That's my one-and-a-half cents (.02 Australian).

Last edited:

svars1

Any luck yet?
(this is the same Mr.Lazo from before -- gotta love that changeover!)

Although it is a lot more time consuming/difficult, the satisfaction (and usefulness) of having at least a nodding acquaintance with assembling electronics far outweighs the immediate gratification of having your laser pre-assembled.

If you want a BR right now(ish), check the Buy/Sell/Trade section of this forum, or even fleaBay (I can give you the contact info on some good & cheap ready-made vedors, but they're all US-based).

My advice would be to hang on to that kit until you're confident enough to put it together yourself. It's a damn fine kit, and one you will enjoy all the more for having made yourself.

That's my one-and-a-half cents (.02 Australian).

hi, i actually sent it to jake who said would build 'just' the electronic part of it. i dont wanna mess up.

who was that guy who sold diodes preset in modules? he was from AU....

i dont know, can you refresh my memory on this topic about preset diode?