Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

My two new hosts waiting drivers and diodes(i'm still a newbie...)

resal7

Well at last,after some effort my two new hosts are ready.One is to host the red diode of the SF AW 210 sled and Dr Lava's Groove 2 driver (probably set at 300mA,powered by 3 AAA's Alkaline primaries.The other is to host the violet diode from the above sled and Dr Lava's MicroBoost driver (set at 170mA-175mA?,powered by two 3,7volts(4,2v measured!!) lithium rechargeable
CR's through a voltage regulator(L7805)).
some pics:
2657-p5182677.jpg

Frontside
2660-p5182681.jpg

The red one:
2656-only-diode-driver-missing.jpg

the violet:
2653-waiting-driver-diode-move.jpg

2651-backside-heatsink-voltage-regulator-glued-tc-epoxy-l7805-witch-can-lower-voltages-up-300v-into-steady-5v-power-flexdrive-microboost-drivers-case-voltage-regulated-7-volts-5-volts-no-matter-heat.jpg

I hope the shipping of drivers and sled doesn't take forever...:(

Last edited:

the 2 3.7v rechargable batts will put out over 8.2volts fully charged... i assume that is why you are throwing the voltage regulator in line? but you might want to check with the mfg if that will work?

that black finned focusing deal you have is pretty nice. did you make it?

michael

resal7

Hello,Michael.Well what is "mfg"?
The driver i going to use is a microboost.maximum load for this driver is 5.5 volts.the use of regulator will drop the load to a steady 5 volt.Microboost will
"boost' the voltage up to 13 volts to meet the preset current.also the voltage regulator will stop supply the driver when the voltage of the batteries will drop to 3,smthng and not at 2,7 volts when the driver is used with a N 400x diode in series,thus elongating battery charge/discharge lifetime.
No,that module is from O-like.;)

mfg is just slang for manufacture (company that made it.)

i'm sure it was a typo... but that laser diode doesnt use 13vdc. nor does the groove drive put out that many...

michael.

resal7

:)Of course the groove driver doesn't put out yhat much voltage.It is the Microboost that does that.Give me a sec to explain:Assuming the violet diode of SF AW 210 which is DL-6146-301 from Sanyo.this has a typical operating current of 80mA,which to achieved you have to apply 5.6 volts as forward load.If you apply more ,more current will pass.Driving the diode at 175mA the load apllied is way over 5.6 volts.
Now,when the batteries slowly discharge,their voltage drops.
Micro boost driver works in that way so that it boosts out the voltage required for the diode to run at preselected current.

-How the heck you can get over 5,6 volts forward load to run a diode at 175mA when the batteries are so low giving 3 volts?

-By boosting the voltage sometimes more than the working load ,in order to antissipate low input voltage or low big-ass batteries....

well it works somewhat like that....:)

resal7

the superfire(black one) at dealextreme
the blue one from a streetseller for 1$....

resal7

I've used my latest discovery on these hosts.If you mix the A and B parts of SOVENT-BASED epoxy with silver/copper nanogranulate thermal grease(1part A,1 part B, and 1 part grease),it hardens to a high thermal conduivity epoxy glue.
Well somebody else might knew that from stoneage,but for me it was a great discovery....
I tested it with a digi thermo and when it sticks with ally it quickly pass heat with 0.7-0.9 Celsius difference*..Thats really good to glue together heatsinks and module housings...

* aluminium T6001 4cm2/2mm thick-----epoxy mix covered 3cm2 with an average thickness of 1,5 mm

aluminium heated with Bunsen gas heater and surface temperature was measured with K type sensor
dry epoxy mix surface temperature measured with k type sensor with no applied pressure no more of 0.005kgr/cm2.

Last edited:

resal7

They remind me 60's movies of Mars attacks...Kind of retro strip laser...

resal7

Some more pics:
2661-p5192692.jpg

Looks like some sort of weird light saber from Mars...
2662-p5192694.jpg

Some final soldering needs to be done...
2663-p5192697.jpg

The whole "kit"..
2664-p5192698.jpg

resal7

Lately I got a weird habbit:I buy in every occasion cheap chinese crappy torches for less than 1$.They are interesting as future custom hosts and a source for parts...
2665-less-than-1-each.jpg

Rather interesting,don't you think?

2666-some-nice-combos-can-achieved.jpg

I've used my latest discovery on these hosts.If you mix the A and B parts of SOVENT-BASED epoxy with silver/copper nanogranulate thermal grease(1part A,1 part B, and 1 part grease),it hardens to a high thermal conduivity epoxy glue.
Well somebody else might knew that from stoneage,but for me it was a great discovery....
I tested it with a digi thermo and when it sticks with ally it quickly pass heat with 0.7-0.9 Celsius difference*..Thats really good to glue together heatsinks and module housings...

* aluminium T6001 4cm2/2mm thick-----epoxy mix covered 3cm2 with an average thickness of 1,5 mm

aluminium heated with Bunsen gas heater and surface temperature was measured with K type sensor
dry epoxy mix surface temperature measured with k type sensor with no applied pressure no more of 0.005kgr/cm2.

I love the design on these flashlights. I think I will try the same thing with a 18650 host for my other red (360-400mW HOT) module

The retro look is seriously cool!!!

Holy crap! That was 6 posts in a row! GRR! You DO KNOW that's a definate no-no right?!

PS: Can I buy some hosts off of you? lol...

Last edited:

resal7

:eek: Ohhh!I didn't know that!...
I'm sorry, don't make hosts for money...
Just enjoy building stuff...
Anyway its fairly easy to do...

Nono, the hosts you buy for like $1, I'd buy from you for $3-5, they look nice, and I'd be willing to do it.

drlava

Hi rseal7, don't worry about the posts in a row; your quality workmanship and technical ability shows through, and you've already made a nice contribution to this forum in this thread. Nice builds, and welcome! :)

You noted that a solvent-based epoxy works best for the thermal adhesive formulation, I assume because it shrinks some, increasing the conductive density? Can you suggest a specific solvent epoxy, that's something I'm not familiar with.