Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

My new IgorT 8x BR

Things

It takes 4 times the power to make something look twice as bright, to the human eye, so it wouldn't be all that noticeable.

Also, the human eye couldn't tell the difference between 405 and 410nm, only way to tell would be to use a spectrometer.

Grix

Also, the human eye couldn't tell the difference between 405 and 410nm, only way to tell would be to use a spectrometer.

I've heard that there is a pretty big difference in brightness with just a few nm difference in the near-UV area.

What is the duty cycle on that? Also, is 310mA too much? What about 300mA?
What mA will get me to 500mW (.5W) using the 405-G-1 lens? :drool:

It takes 4 times the power to make something look twice as bright, to the human eye, so it wouldn't be all that noticeable.

I understand all the little nuances involved, but seeing is believing.

I have noticed this slight difference in color w/ different build in some of my PHRs... and in his second pick there is a visual difference between the 2... along the same difference as my SF and many different PHRs.:yh:

Airsoftlaser:
if you give a look to the Po curves in the "8x Owners" datasheet, you need about 350 - 360mA to get .5W of power output. The point is: how long it will live at such a high power? Daguin BDR-203 have already exceeded 20' in date 26/07/2009, but he is using it with caution and with a duty cycle non exceeding one minute. In these three days of tests for mine, I have already exceeded such time, with continuous burning strikes of more than 2 minutes....:D

GreenMachine:
I have anticipated to IgorT a certain amount of money (to be sure to cover all the costs to manufacture this 8x BR: he had to order the Pioneer in the US); till now I have not yet received the exact price, he will inform me the next week for sure....
What I can say is that IgorT is one of the most affordable manufacturers, BTW to see others offers you have to go around in the Forum...:yh:

What would be the difference between a 350 usd one and a 500 usd one ?

power output?

Well, not neccesarily, it's the builder, and the quality. Igor has built many lasers, and does fantastic work, including using custom heatsinks and custom drivers, that he designed himself.

Edit: He also sorts all of his diodes, and tests them extensively. He's usually the first with information on a new diode, because he buys them, and runs them to death.

say what are you pushing for current in that PHR?
those are some pretty nice lasers there sir.

Oh well, IgorT is back, so I asked him about your question: my PHR current has been set between 135 and 139mA...:yh:

IgorT

For an 8x build you are looking at 350usd and up. For an Igor 8x build you are looking at like 500usd and up i'm guessing

Actually it would be quite a bit less than that, mostly it depends on the price i can get the diode for...

But the difference in price of a GGW build and an 8x build would be the same as the difference in price of the diodes...

Actually it would be quite a bit less than that, mostly it depends on the price i can get the diode for...

But the difference in price of a GGW build and an 8x build would be the same as the difference in price of the diodes...

Thanks for the correction :), Are you offering cherry picked 8x? im guessing not

What diodes are you working with / recommending at the moment?

IgorT

Thanks for the correction :), Are you offering cherry picked 8x? im guessing not

Wow!

Now that would be impossible wouldn't it?

Selling lasers allowed me to kill many expensive diodes without going broke in the past. I hope it does so in the future, i like this hobby, but "chery-picked" 8x's (btw, love the expression "cherry-picked"!) would cost hundreds of dollars just for the diode.... And i'd have to buy several at once - i can't even afford that!

But somehow diodes i find in drives are always good! I classify "normal" efficiency by the standard of the first GGW i got in a drive (did 193mW at 200mA, still don't set them higher than that!)..

I have a theory on this... I think some sleds are discarded just cos the diode in them is too weak! And then the Chinese sell the QC rejects to us..

Maybe those diodes get damaged in the work process. Or maybe they know some will be too weak, but don't care... Cheaper to discard whole sleds than waste time pre-testing diodes? Maybe the first test is in the sled and the ones that are too weak get rejected during quality control?

I can't find a better explanation and this one would imply the diode manufacturer sells them diodes that are too weak to use....

I don't know. But fact is, i have yet to see a weak diode in a working drive, while i see them regularly in reject sleds. On a bad day i find several like the one in the attachment!

I can't honestly use a diode like that for a 200mW laser. Even 180mW would probably kill it prematurelly. I mean, it peaked at 155mW @200mA during pre-testing! :gun:

It's completelly useless for what we expect from a 6x laser! I was forced to replace it with a better one from my stock. One that peaked close to my first GGW during pre-testing - if i ever wanted the module i made to work for a while delivering the desired power...

It would be absolutelly horrible if i found one like that in a drive that cost me $250 to get....

But somehow, they are always good! Well unlike with diodes i didn't get enough drives to call the data statistics, but enough to learn i can expect good diodes when i do... Or maybe it's just hope..

I guess time will tell now that the 8x's will become more affordable or so i heard. If it's true, i'll be able to offer 8x builds at almost reasonable prices in the near future...

I just hope my theory doesnt proove itself wrong!
It would hurt having to scrap a $200 diode. Altho it would make for an interesting torture candidate... Expensive, but even more interesting because of that... Unless the Chinese come up with 8x reject sleds next.. Then it would start hurting again....

EDIT: But it would make me respect reject sleds more, if i were to find the same efficiency spread holds true for diodes from drives! Not that i particularly want that to happen...

Attachments

• TechJunkie 6x PIV Plot - LR.JPG
    TechJunkie 6x PIV Plot - LR.JPG
    163.9 KB · Views: 92
Last edited: