Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

My JetLasers "Ti-B in Red" W/Opnext 120mW 638nm diode (Pic Heavy)

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
SAME GREAT Ti-B..... DIFFERENT WAVELENGTH

XTSYHJM.png

This project was supposed to be a "quick" diode/driver swap, yeah sure. It started out over 5months ago! Actually, in all reality, it started out well over a year ago, when I got my first glimpse of the Ti-B in Blords pictorial review (11/13).
I knew then, that I had to have one, and promptly ordered, and received my 1st Ti-B 532nm from Hakzaw1. From that point on, I've dreamed of having a "Ti-B wavelength rainbow".
IIRC, at one point, there were rumors of JetLasers themselves making Ti-B's in other wavelengths, but it wasn't to be; probably too cost prohibitive using these beautifully machined titanium hosts.

My first step in creating my rainbow was to use the Opnext 120mW 638nm diode (HL63603TG) with a flexdrive set at 300mA, for some single mode goodness!

Having never disassembled a Ti-B, I asked an expert builder extraordinaire (Thanks jayrob), if he could be of assistance; he graciously took on the task, and succeeded in getting it carefully disassembled.
Heat was required, everything is glued well!
sfDrcXy.png

One of my main objectives was to try to retain J/L's ultra smooth internal focusing system, keeping the stock original look.
I think with a little "reverse engineering", and some trial & error, the results were better than expected.

The next few photos show the details of what was done to modify the J/L focus system.

First, the existing focus lens is removed from the focus adjuster (I had to use heat on this also).
I used a couple of steel pins that fit the holes in the lens holder, but needle nose pliers, or a spanner wrench would also work.
OYvTZvD.png

hbKfu4H.png

Next, I made a threaded aluminum adapter to allow the J/L focus adapter to work with the standard 9.0mm x 0.5mm lens assy.
I used the extended version w/G-2 lens. the extended holder allows for threading into the adapter, plus enough length to enter the copper diode module far enough to focus properly.
ZYNpU36.png

My original plan was to bore out the copper module to give the lens holder clearance so it could move in and out freely without rotating, but that option made the module too thin to support the pressing of the diode.
An alternative method was to turn down the threads on a portion of the lens holder (thanks DTR). It's thin, but it works great!
OU8k8OU.png

Complete focus assembly, looking from the front
V5wjMQQ.png

The focus assembly, looking from the rear (diode side), mounted in the host front piece.
pJrxLZL.png

Copper module with diode, in aluminum heatsink, mounted in host.
pXGhGg2.png

J/L diode, module, and heatsink (left), and my replacement assy. with gold plated spring, and the battery contact board. (right)
TpBtRee.png

A close up showing J/L's driver with extensive aluminum heatsinking, which is attached with liberal amounts of thermal adhesive.
7oKdl3T.png

Edit - The following two pics added 3/1/14.
The next two pics show J/L's original white nylon battery spacer/spring support, along with the fiber replacement that I made.
I found that the nylon piece wouldn't stay glued inside the titanium battery tube no matter what adhesive was used,
so every time you remove the battery, the nylon piece falls out. So far, 2 part epoxy is working well on the fiber replacement.
E0hPe8j.png
Wh03nyh.png

Another obstacle that I came across was when LPMing, I noticed that the output was reduced by aprox. 30% when the crown was in place,
I'm not sure if the lens/filter is just an AR lens, or if it incorporates an IR filter also, but it definitely reduces output, so, it had to go!
VKxiDSU.png

JiwE4N9.png

<<<POWER OUTPUT READINGS>>>

With J/L's filter removed, the power output readings seem pretty typical of this diode with the driver set at 300mA.

Average power output - using a G-2 lens. (60 sec. run time)
9WbNAfL.png

Maximum power output - using a G-2 lens. (60 sec. run time)
MMd8ucu.png

<<<A FEW BEAMS & SOME REFLECTIONS>>>

s4HvLDw.png

USM7nHz.png

lSo8AfK.png

HeoBqsw.png

jjVEnWC.png

tt9RDWJ.png

JUST A NOTE: Jetlasers sells only complete, working Ti-B 532nm lasers. They do not sell hosts only!

Last, but definitely not least, I'd like to thank all who helped me with this. :beer:

JetLasers/Gray - For making such a great laser.

Hakzaw1 - for support, and knowing all things J/L.

jayrob - For assistance in disassembly, and valuable advice.

DTR - for help with lens mods., and also, as always, a great diode/driver.

A well deserved +1all around, this couldn't have been done without all of you !!!

Thanks for trudging through all of this, sorry for the excessive length! :D
All comments and critiques are appreciated!

Jeff

Last edited:

Re: My JetLasers "Ti-B in Red" W/Opnext 120mW 638nm diode

Excellent work! A Ti B rainbow would be the greatest thing lol.

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter

Thanks Speedy, I think so to! :beer:
I'm just getting started though, got a long way to go.

IsaacT

If you ever want to sell that laser, shoot me a PM first. That laser looks amazing!

Job well- done-You knew it would be not an easy rebuild- Nobody could pay what you have in expense AND labor.. If anyone wants to try this bad enough to buy a working Ti-B 532 100mW there are four let FS here in Tx. from $110 to $128 output 110 to 128 mW. FYI.

BUT you do so ONLY at your own risk-

Nice finished laser- your pics are excellent- ( & took 2 hrs to dwnld)
- BTG- +5- for sticking to it!!

btw
wondered...
'about' how much did you spend on diode-driver and lens( alone)- Len
and yes that was an IR filter- ALL JL 532s have a quality IR filter- did not know , however that it blocked that much 638nm- closer wavelength to IR maybe??.

IIRC one owner swapped out the JL 'piston' switch for a tail clicky- then sold the laser--iirc

hak

Last edited:

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter

@ wannaburnstuff - Thanks Isaac, you are the 1st on my list when I decide to sell it.
Although, I think I'll probably keep this baby around for a while! :)

@Hak - Thank you sir, much appreciated! :beer:

You couldn't have summed it up better! I've had more than one veteren builder tell me that it would be better to just fix this Ti-B by sticking another green module in it, rather than attempt this, as it would be a major PITA!

They were right; :) in hindsight this mod. looks pretty simple, but deciding how to maintain the J/L Ti-B's original looks and internal integrity, all while keeping the full focusing ability, and not damaging either the diode or lens in the process took much time and many calculations.

Also, access to a lathe/shop is essential, because without it, the costs of a new Ti-B + diode/driver/lens + lathe work, and not to mention time & labor would make this build pretty cost prohibitive.

Edit: Hak, the diode/driver/lens combo from DTR's shop IIRC, was $105.

Last edited:

good job! those sm 638's are nice.

gismo

A light green Ti(tanium) B from jetlasers turned into cherry red by BowtieGuy. Much impressed I am by the effort and time you've put into this unique customisation, Jeff:bowdown:. One of a kind, for sure.

Nice, picture-sharp tutorial gives a good idea for the build process. Most rewarding must be the feeling it works and performs well. :gj:

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter

Thank you cheech; yes, they are nice! It's my first single mode red, and I love it.
It's very much different from Mits. 500mW in my previous build that's for sure!

@ gismo - Thanks man, appreciate you looking, and your kind words.
You're right, it's a good feeling to see it finally come together. There were times that I wondered if it ever would!

YES YES- just getting to see how this laser was constructed was a great service to the forum- I hope we did not reveal any 'trade secrets' of JLs. ha ha

my only wish is that I had high speed connection as the pics you posted took more than 3 hours to all open.

which brings me to a request-- WHY do some members feel the need to -'reply with a quote' to a thread with a crap-load of pics- why would they thnk we need to see them all over again and this sometimes happens in the very next (first) post- I have even seen members doing this several times in one thread- WTH?? copy paste the text you want to show and make your post but PLEASE do not use 'reply with quote' without thinking this thru..YOU are wasting our time AND bandwidth. and taking up too much space- WE all know how to see the OP and all its pics-

I very much appreciate the extra time it took BTG to make this tutorial- it is one of the best ever. .. And a good lesson about how much work we think a re-build will take VS reality.. I have a feeling that you will never sell this one-

BTW if anyone is interested for 30$ I can provide a few of you with a super Pelican case that is perfect for Ti-Bs and or other small lasers- easily big enough to house 4 or more Ti-Bs and extras like batts- As cases go there are very few that do a better job the Pelican. I have two left- shipping is extra- i can offer a few pieces of good foam liner that you can cut yourself to fit your lasers- It takes some practice and a very sharp long blade Exato knife &/or a box cutter. Pelican cases are water proof and crush proof- The come with a lifetime warranty- They are the preferred cases of photographers around the world- and even used are never cheap--
PM if you want a link.. hak

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter

Hak, I think were cool, I purposely didn't show or tell of any dimensions, thread sizes, or pitches. Heck, anybody who really wants the info can just come to you and buy one. J/K ;)

I thought my computer was slow, hate to have you tie up your computer that long just to see the pics!

I've got a couple more pics that I may add tonight or tomorrow showing the modified battery spacer/spring insulator I used instead of the nylon one from J/L.

jayrob

Great job on the build! +rep

That's a beautiful host... :cool:

Last edited:

DJNY

Incredible good looking pictures, host, laser :beer:

Congratz on this!
Can´t wait to get my higher powered single-mode 635nm

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
@jayrob - Thank you, without your help I may not have even gotten started! :beer:

@DJNY - Appreciate the comments, especially from someone such as yourself with great photo skills!
Yes, this diode produces such a nice beam, especially when compared to my last build that used the Mits. 500mW diode. The difference is like night and day!

Encap

Outstanding work--great job!

TIB is a special laser-- high quality, beautiful host, beautifully machined ---well worth your efforts.

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Thanks Encap, appreciate your comments! :beer:
You summed up the Ti-B perfectly sir, not to mention, in limited supply. :cryyy: