Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

My First Decent Heatsink on a Lathe!

Yeah. If you noticed, the heatsink I made for this build has exposed finds for even better cooling than just a solid hunk of metal.

And Moh - that is a VERY little lathe you got there o_O Having worked on a huge industrial lathe now, I don't know how I would ever work on one of those things!

LaZeRz

Your mini-lathe is so cute :D

haha :D

Im thinking of buying a mini, whats a rough estimate of the price of a second hand? Maybe 7x10?

EDIT: Moh, instead of using the drill-press can't you just put a drill-bit onto your lathe?

Last edited:
That's really nice work. Did you bore it for a press-fit on your diode, or will that be held in place just by screwing your host together?

And, how are you going to mount your optics allowing for adjustment?

Thanks...

-mega

lol MohMoh. That is the coolest work-rig EVER.

Great Heatsink you got there. you could probably start a business, yeah?

Unfortunately, that's the one place I screwed up. It's meant to hold an Aixiz module (I don't have the expertise to make a module that can hold one of our standard lenses yet, so I figure why do a pressfit?), but the Aixiz module is about a thousandth of a inch in diameter below a press fit. But, at the same time, I am going to line the internals of the heatsink with thermal glue so that it will be well cooled.

And the optics allowing for adjustment will probably simply be an Aixiz focus adjuster.

@Iso: That's the plan! I'm going to start taking commissions for heatsinks!

Last edited:
Certainly :p I'm not going to start mass producing yet, because first I need to build some capital so I can buy some raw materials, but other than that, I plan on sellin' em!

Fiddy

nice work! :gj:

i attempted a guidesman heatsink at work, but the material (aluminum off a fan block from work) was too porous and doesn't cut nicely on the lathe :(

Last edited:
Looks Great!

I had a hobby lathe and never used it, so I sold it. Now I'm dying to get my hands on one and have been running WTB ad's on CL for weeks.

Where do you get your stock and what does it run?

I buy all my metal off ebay. It's cheaper to buy it online than to buy it at fastenal or any other place around here.

I actually am running low on stock, but I got the stock I currently have at Industrial Metal Supply (it's a local place). Also, the shop has a lot of scrap that is free for anyone to use, and it has some nice aluminum round bars :D

Anyway, 2ft of aluminum at IMS was like $6 and 2ft of copper was like $20 or so. Not that bad, considering there is no shipping fee.

madog

Are you certain that a finned aluminum heatsink will fair better than a copper heatsink of the same size w/o fins?

LaZeRz

Are you certain that a finned aluminum heatsink will fair better than a copper heatsink of the same size w/o fins?

Well, aluminum absorbs heat slower than copper but dissipates it faster while copper abosrbs the heat faster and dissipates it slower.

I can order metal super cheap, only in 12' bars though. If you want some stuff cheap PM me and I'll order you a 12' bar and cut it down to 1' lengths to fit in a flat rate box.