Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

My First Build

Dang, I ordered the full length module. The host looks like it has about 2cm of contact with the module, with a separate area for the driver mounted on a half moon piece. Is 2cm enough for a full length? And yes, the host takes two 18650's.

Good to hear it's a two 18650 host, use some good quality batteries, that will be a powerful laser, am still not sure the duty cycle will be very long but that shouldn't be much of an issue. 2cm is not enough for a full length module but the host will be made to fit one, a full length module is 30mm. Many lasers use a full length module with a driver that fits in the module, your module will have a separate driver outside the module that will take slightly more space. With much lower power diodes you can just not use the rear half of the module if you don't have enough space, but with this very powerful diode it requires very good heat sinking. I look forward to seeing how this works out, quite a laser for a first build, be sure not to accidentally start a fire.

Alan

Good to hear it's a two 18650 host, use some good quality batteries, that will be a powerful laser, am still not sure the duty cycle will be very long but that shouldn't be much of an issue. 2cm is not enough for a full length module but the host will be made to fit one, a full length module is 30mm. Many lasers use a full length module with a driver that fits in the module, your module will have a separate driver outside the module that will take slightly more space. With much lower power diodes you can just not use the rear half of the module if you don't have enough space, but with this very powerful diode it requires very good heat sinking. I look forward to seeing how this works out, quite a laser for a first build, be sure not to accidentally start a fire.

Alan

What are good batteries? The ones I have are over 3 years old so probably time for some new ones. Also could use some new safety glasses - any suggestions?

Pman

Alan battery choice is great and there are others that are other quality choices too. He means they are more expensive than the many really crappy batteries out there. Don't buy any with "fire" in the name. They are not expensive compared to the rest of the build and should never be an afterthought. I can't understand people who spend a ton of money on a build and then chintz on the batteries. Makes no sense. Those particular batteries will easily handle the amp draw or "load" that your laser module needs to operate correctly.

If you have any questions during the build DON'T guess. Ask with pics for the best result. Don't let your excitement get the best of you and you end up doing something like putting the batteries in the wrong way. Whatever you do don't look down the end if something is wrong as it could suddenly turn on and there goes your eyesight.

Last edited:
Alan battery choice is great and there are others that are other quality choices too. He means they are more expensive than the many really crappy batteries out there. Don't buy any with "fire" in the name. They are not expensive compared to the rest of the build and should never be an afterthought. I can't understand people who spend a ton of money on a build and then chintz on the batteries. Makes no sense. Those particular batteries will easily handle the amp draw or "load" that your laser module needs to operate correctly.

If you have any questions during the build DON'T guess. Ask with pics for the best result. Don't let your excitement get the best of you and you end up doing something like putting the batteries in the wrong way. Whatever you do don't look down the end if something is wrong as it could suddenly turn on and there goes your eyesight.

Ok, I'm pretty patient so I'll be sure and ask as I go along. And no looking in the diode. That's right up there with looking down the barrel of a gun to see why you had a misfire!

Pman

Most builds are actually pretty simple/easy. It's always a good idea to start out simple and work your way up to the more complicated ones. Takes some time to figure out all the things you need to buy to build successfully.

Wow! I already started receiving parts!

20160314_195845.jpg

Last edited:
Whatever you do don't look down the end if something is wrong as it could suddenly turn on and there goes your eyesight.

One more hazard to be aware of with most hosts, I don't know if this host is only a side button or has a tailcap switch, if the switch is in the tailcap then when you first put the batteries in and screw the tailcap on, the laser may turn on when you screw it on, so point it in a safe direction. I had this happen twice before, there was also a video here somewhere of some guy building a laser and this happened to him and his hand was over the front as he screwed the tailcap on. Believe me you don't under any circumstance want to come into direct contact with the beam from this death ray you are building, I happen to know even a 1.5W blue can burn you real fast.

Most builds are actually pretty simple/easy. It's always a good idea to start out simple and work your way up to the more complicated ones. Takes some time to figure out all the things you need to buy to build successfully.

This is very good advice. Don't get too DIY on the first builds until you are familiar with the parts and what works and what doesn't, it's very easy to make an expensive mistake. If when you first turn on the laser it doesn't work, then immediately turn it off, don't leave it on or try multiple times or you will blow something, it's usually something simple. You do have a DMM and also know how to solder and use heat shrink etc. right?

Alan

One more hazard to be aware of with most hosts, I don't know if this host is only a side button or has a tailcap switch, if the switch is in the tailcap then when you first put the batteries in and screw the tailcap on, the laser may turn on when you screw it on, so point it in a safe direction. I had this happen twice before, there was also a video here somewhere of some guy building a laser and this happened to him and his hand was over the front as he screwed the tailcap on. Believe me you don't under any circumstance want to come into direct contact with the beam from this death ray you are building, I happen to know even a 1.5W blue can burn you real fast.

This is very good advice. Don't get too DIY on the first builds until you are familiar with the parts and what works and what doesn't, it's very easy to make an expensive mistake. If when you first turn on the laser it doesn't work, then immediately turn it off, don't leave it on or try multiple times or you will blow something, it's usually something simple. You do have a DMM and also know how to solder and use heat shrink etc. right?

Alan

This only has a tailcap, so I will be careful about where I point it when I am first screwing in the batteries. I haven't soldered that much since the 80's, but I can do a decent job. And I have DMM's and heat shrink. I still would like to see what right looks like if anyone will be willing to share pics. I'm guessing I should use a fair amount of thermal adhesive to get good heat transmission?

I still would like to see what right looks like if anyone will be willing to share pics. I'm guessing I should use a fair amount of thermal adhesive to get good heat transmission?

No you don't need much, and remember it's meant to be permanent, thermal paste though doesn't glue anything in place, and you don't always need it. Every build is different so I can't quite show you what right looks like, I can just show you some examples. Maybe looking at these will help some:

http://laserpointerforums.com/f65/assembled-m140-c6-pic-heavy-83543.html

http://laserpointerforums.com/f65/assembled-445nm-9mm-stainless-steel-host-pic-heavy-85997.html

http://laserpointerforums.com/f45/pl520-build-1-3-lasers-very-pic-heavy-88336.html#top

http://laserpointerforums.com/f38/s06j-12x-build-2-3-lasers-very-pic-heavy-89098.html#post1296670

Here are some photos of my last build, sorry I didn't get around to posting a build thread: Blue450nm Story by Pi-R-Squared | Photobucket

Alan

No you don't need much, and remember it's meant to be permanent, thermal paste though doesn't glue anything in place, and you don't always need it. Every build is different so I can't quite show you what right looks like, I can just show you some examples. Maybe looking at these will help some:

http://laserpointerforums.com/f65/assembled-m140-c6-pic-heavy-83543.html

http://laserpointerforums.com/f65/assembled-445nm-9mm-stainless-steel-host-pic-heavy-85997.html

http://laserpointerforums.com/f45/pl520-build-1-3-lasers-very-pic-heavy-88336.html#top

http://laserpointerforums.com/f38/s06j-12x-build-2-3-lasers-very-pic-heavy-89098.html#post1296670

Here are some photos of my last build, sorry I didn't get around to posting a build thread: Blue450nm Story by Pi-R-Squared | Photobucket

Alan

So I just got done reading through all your build threads. That was very helpful and must have taken a lot of time to put together - thanks very much!

I could start working with what I have but I think I'll just wait until the rest of the stuff gets here. Shouldn't be long now! :)

Ok, so I have another question. I glue the driver to the half moon shape piece but then do I need to glue that piece inside the host? Looks like I would because it would be rather loose otherwise. Also seems that it would help transfer heat.

Here's a photo to clarify. I'm asking about putting thermal adhesive where the red mark is (and then placing it in the host).

Laser_Question1.jpg