Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

My First Build

So I decided to try a 'build'. Really not much of a build since I bought a host from Ehgemus. Anyway, I got a bit sidetracked due to a motorcycle accident that I am still recovering from. I'm now ready to order the diode and driver. I just want to check which module I should get before ordering. I'm thinking the G2 lens from this webpage:

https://sites.google.com/site/dtrlpf/home/diodes/6w-nubm44-445nm-laser-diode

Is that the best module for my application?

Here's photos of my host:

host1.jpg

host2.jpg

host3.jpg

Thanks,

John

No feedback at all? Did I post my question in the wrong sub-forum? I debated for a bit before I decided it seemed mostly like a host question....

what is your application???

It's really just a project to build another toy. Of course, I'll use it as a laser pointer and try burning things/popping balloons.

Obviously, the end piece of the host is meant to be focusable. That's what I'm not sure about - which module is it meant to work with? I'm sure if I could see them in person then it would make perfect sense. But the website pics leave me wondering and I don't want to order the wrong piece.

Thanks,

John

Everything seem perfect. As long as the module includes driver and lens...

Awesome. That's all I wanted to check. My diode and 4500mA driver are now ordered! And some Arctic Alumina Thermal Adhesive. Thanks!

Last edited:
This may not be as simple as you think. There is nothing in your photos for scale to show the size of that host, is it a two 18650 host? I hope you selected half length for the back half of that module, not every host will have enough room for the module and that separate driver, that driver also needs heat sinking. The host looks like it could be a little small for a laser of that power. You may have a short duty cycle. Be aware that laser will be far more powerful than you need to burn stuff and pop balloons, it can easily set things on fire. Do not attempt to burn anything without safety glasses and don't look at the dot too close without safety glasses.

Alan

Rivem

ceramic???

Ceramique is a non-conductive, non-capacitive thermal compound brand made with ceramic nanoparticles. Many thermal compounds can short components out. Still more are capacitive, and though not an issue with lasers, they can cause signal interference in processors that have exposed electrical components which are most often capacitors.

This may not be as simple as you think. There is nothing in your photos for scale to show the size of that host, is it a two 18650 host? I hope you selected half length for the back half of that module, not every host will have enough room for the module and that separate driver, that driver also needs heat sinking. The host looks like it could be a little small for a laser of that power. You may have a short duty cycle. Be aware that laser will be far more powerful than you need to burn stuff and pop balloons, it can easily set things on fire. Do not attempt to burn anything without safety glasses and don't look at the dot too close without safety glasses.

Alan

Dang, I ordered the full length module. The host looks like it has about 2cm of contact with the module, with a separate area for the driver mounted on a half moon piece. Is 2cm enough for a full length? And yes, the host takes two 18650's.

Ricker

I got the Arctic Alumina Thermal Adhesive thinking I could use it for mounting the driver. What's the Ceramique Paste for? Did I get the wrong stuff?

Nope! You're completely correct. This stuff is for the diode module, and around the outside of the drivers heatsink, and anywhere else that needs it. Ceramique grease (thermal paste) basically disperses the heat evenly but doesn't adhere to anything like the Arctic Alumina Thermal Adhesive (AATA for short) does, you would use this stuff for things that you may take out or apart sometime, or if the object is already fixed (i.e. threaded, bolted, secured, etc.) and doesn't need to be "stuck." The driver needs to be stuck so it doesn't move and needs to disperse heat to the surrounding thermal conductors (metal, heat sink etc.), which is what the AATA is for so definitely continue to use that! The Ceramique is good for threads, the LD module, any places that could use some help getting heat transferred to another thermally conductive (metal) object. :) Hope this helps clear things up!

Reactions: GSS

Ricker

Dang, I ordered the full length module. The host looks like it has about 2cm of contact with the module, with a separate area for the driver mounted on a half moon piece. Is 2cm enough for a full length? And yes, the host takes two 18650's.

If you don't have enough room to seat the full sized module into the heatsink, go to this page >here<, go to the bottom part of page, you'll see it says Solid Copper Back Half. Under "Length", choose "Half Length" and order three.
If you are going to be into this for more than just this build, chances are great you'll use all three of them. I've used two so far and DTR hasn't had them for much more than a month or two.

If you don't have enough room to seat the full sized module into the heatsink, go to this page >here<, go to the bottom part of page, you'll see it says Solid Copper Back Half. Under "Length", choose "Half Length" and order three.
If you are going to be into this for more than just this build, chances are great you'll use all three of them. I've used two so far and DTR hasn't had them for much more than a month or two.

I ordered the Ceramique paste. The webpage with the half length back halves doesn't actually have any way for you to add them to the cart. I don't think I need it anyway. After looking at it more, the host has 2cm of contact area for the module but it has additional space for it to overhang some as well. Proportionally, it looks like it will fit fine.

Ricker

I ordered the Ceramique paste. The webpage with the half length back halves doesn't actually have any way for you to add them to the cart. I don't think I need it anyway. After looking at it more, the host has 2cm of contact area for the module but it has additional space for it to overhang some as well. Proportionally, it looks like it will fit fine.

Sounds good! :) Let me know if you have any more questions! Good luck and I can't wait to see some beam shots! :D