Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

MXDL 405nm building kits (DONE)

Re: Feeler: Kryton 405nm building kits (>100mW)

I'm still excited at the possibility of getting to possibly not only have my first higher-power-than-a-cheap-pointer laser but for the chance to build it and even better the fact that it's a violet laser! I just worry that I would mess something up and what money that I will be scrimping and saving for one of these kits will be wasted :( heh, keep us updated on how the process is coming along and when these kits are ready for sale :D boo for waiting

Zom-B

It took some time before it dawned on me, but with the diodes stuck in the Aixiz, I have no other option than to go with the MXDL instead of the Kryton. (not that the Kryton had a real chance anyway, with kenom's undersupply)

Updates incorporated in the first post.

-Another update-
I blew one diode which was almost hitting 200mA. Strange death. It worked fine at 191mA, then turned off, cooled down, turned on again (soft start) and after warming up the measurement was a mere 10mW. Probably the higher (cold) voltage was what killed it.

Another diode 'burned in' after about 15 minutes runtime, and after that the sweet spot was at 77mA (55mW). This must have been a faulty diode from the start, as it was almost twice as powerful before.

Four diodes tested so far.

ArdvarkOfDoom said:
I'm still excited at the possibility of getting to possibly not only have my first higher-power-than-a-cheap-pointer laser but for the chance to build it and even better the fact that it's a violet laser!  I just worry that I would mess something up and what money that I will be scrimping and saving for one of these kits will be wasted :(  heh, keep us updated on how the process is coming along and when these kits are ready for sale :D  boo for waiting

exactly what i was thinking..

also how long will i be able to run this at a time? hours? minutes?

Zom-B

Re: Kryton 405nm building kits (>100mW)

I added anothe important update on the first post.

-I have 7 perfectly working diodes left which I can sell with kits (I have two diodes which were slightly damaged and output ~60mW now, and I will not sell you second rate parts but only top class quality ;))
-I forgot to change the batteries after changing the host (I changed the format and number, but not the type to NiMH)

If you have any objections about the new configuration, you can back out now.

This is how I will do this now. I will let the people on the list choose what they want (which kit, or backing out). I'll PM the first person. If he responds, I'll scrap one kit and PM the next. If this person does not respond within 72 hours (3 days), I will move that person one position down on the list and PM the next person in line, and so on. Not-responding persons will keep flowing down on the list until they respond or when all kits are sold.

Question.... what kinda of charger will charge those batteries?

Also... what kind of duty cycle will there need to be? I'm still learning about these things and I don't want to eff up my first laser if I actually get it up and running ;)

iewed

I'd like to back out. I was hoping to get a Kryton Barrell out of this, but since they're MXDL I'd prefer not to get one.

Zom-B

ArdvarkOfDoom said:
Question.... what kinda of charger will charge those batteries?

Also... what kind of duty cycle will there need to be? I'm still learning about these things and I don't want to eff up my first laser if I actually get it up and running ;)
A NiMH charger will do. If it's a quick-charger, pay attention that it has the Delta-U protection (Sometimes called Delta-V or [ch916]-V or [ch916]-U-shutdown, etc)

The duty cycle is probably infinite, but for the highest powered ones I would recommend not burning longer than 15 minutes at a time.

Sweetness! I already have a NiMH (Enegizer... gotta love clearance!) charger. And I don't think that I'll be getting one of the highest ones.... nor do I think that I'd use it for over 15 minutes straight... just making sure it wasn't one of those 3 min on 30 seconds off type things since you have to use a different host. It does suck that the Kryton didn't work out though :(

Zom-B

I know, I had loved to see the krytons for sure too. Maybe next time.

90mW i take it is the most stable output...how many mA's is that? I want it to last....FOREVER! lol.. but seriously.. I dont know if a year or more is asking for too much?
What is the point of having something so powerful? you get your hopes up, then within no time it DIES!!! I just want whatever stays alive the longest.

are the batteries that come with this kit 3.6V or 1.5V?

It'll stay alive longer if you don't turn it on. Really, it all depends on how much you use it.

Kenom

You might want to change the name of the thread since (sadly) this won't include Krytons. that way as folks are browsin through the b/s/t section and see this (having never seen this befive) won't get confused.

Zom-B

Re: MXDL 405nm building kits (>100mW)

Yah, I forgot that. Thanks for letting me know

As for the batteries, Read the first post. They are 1.2V rechargeable.

As for the current,
120mA 90.5mW
140mA 112.2mW
132mA 115.8mW
135mA 137.1mW
161mA 154.4mW
167mA 155.0mW
190mA 163.0mW 170.7mW

And some graphs (try to spot which curve is which diode ;))
mxdlphr.png

As for the living/dying, I believe most diodes die prematurely because the owners drive them too high. I am pretty sure that when driven with the currents that I recommend, they will have a long life (I have no figures, but I bet at least >200Hr.) I have personally driven a violet laser at 198mA/190mW (maximum current found using the same technique) for over 100Hr and it didn't even drop a mW in power. I died only because the window broke while changing the host.

If you want, I can, on request, scrape some mA's from the current to guarantee it will last even longer.

Zom-B said:
Yah, I forgot that. Thanks for letting me know

As for the batteries, Read the first post. They are 1.2V rechargeable....

As for the current,
120mA 90.5mW....

If you want, I can, on request, scrape some mA's from the current to guarantee it will last even longer...
thanks!
well in my case I would want to get the lowest available in the first place, would scraping some mA's even be necessary in my case?

if I were to use some 3.6V AAA's from dealextreme is it still safe to use? being that it uses the flexdrive I would think so...but that is why I'm asking. :)

Hi!

Long time lurker here, but just registered. One question, which are the main differences between the Kryptons' and MXDL? I know the Kryptons' were custom made, but... why are they better than the MXDL? Better heat absorption?

Oh no he misspelled KRYTON

That sir is a bannable offence :mad: just kidding)